Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

R1-Z Oil Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
owned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: R1-Z Oil Leak Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.

Just bought an R1-Z and drove it for about 20 miles and then saw an oil leak. The oil was coming out from the bottom of the oil pump cover. It was only a very small amount, and I got the bike home with no problems.

I took the plastic oil pump cover off and saw oil collected at the bottom of space the pump is in. I'm not sure if its 2 stroke oil which is leaking from the pump, or gearbox oil which is leaking from the gasket between the pump and the gearbox casing.

The bike also started to feel a bit rough (vibration thought the frame) between 3000 to 5000 rpm when I think the leak must have started. I tried getting the pump off by undoing the 2 bolts holding it on, but it will not come off. Are there some hidden bolts holding it on.

If it's the pump, then I might disconnect it and run pre mix, any thoughts on this.

Here is a pic of the pump, it looks clean as I cleaned off the oil before taking the pic.

Thanks for any advice,

Rog.
smokestack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take the side casing off and on the other side of the pump there is a gear that you need to remove before the pump can be taken off. You will need a new gasket for the casing also and have to drain the oil and coolant before doing anything.
What colour is the oil thats leaking out, it could be two stroke or gearbox oil.
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the oil lines off and check how tight they are on the pump, these do get old and very stiff with age, and, if in doubt, stick some oil in the petrol, better a bit smokey than seized (hopefully this isn't causing the 5000rpm vibration)
Just a few ££ for these oil lines anyway.
There also a bleed screw on the pumps with a fibre washer, maybe this has split.

Sounds like you need to give it a going over before riding off into the sunset Smile
dougon2wheels
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same pump as a tzr/tdr, ive had the seals on both my tdrs pumps and the similar pumps on my rd engines, two bolts and the oil pump can be removed (the worm drive stays in the case, and the side casing has to be removed to get at that).
The seals wear out....they are twenty odd years old !, get yourself on norbo's rd forum and look for a member called arrow....he does a superb job of restoring these pumps at a reasonabe price too !
dougon2wheels
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same pump as a tzr/tdr, ive had the seals on both my tdrs pumps and the similar pumps on my rd engines, two bolts and the oil pump can be removed (the worm drive stays in the case, and the side casing has to be removed to get at that).
The seals wear out....they are twenty odd years old !, get yourself on norbo's rd forum and look for a member called arrow....he does a superb job of restoring these pumps at a reasonabe price too !
smokestack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake there I was talking about getting the shaft out Embarassed
On that I have never had an oil pump or pump seal let go on any bike ever.
owned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not holiday at the moment, so don't have time to have another look, but yep, I have to do some more checking.

I'll let you know what I find.

Rog.
owned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm on holiday at the moment, so don't have time to have another look, but yep, I have to do some more checking.

I'll let you know what I find.

Rog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: