Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

YSR50 engine swap to RD 80LC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anygasman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: YSR50 engine swap to RD 80LC Reply with quote

Hi guys

Just got a Yamaha YSR 50 1987 after a wait of 24 Years.

As I'm not the same size and weight as I was at 16 I'm looking to swap the stock 50 engine out to a DT80LC engine.
Anyone know if this is a straight swap ?
Team Calamari in the USA state the DT 50 engine does.

http://www.teamcalamari.com/dox/Gara...11Engines.html

but need to know if the 80 would be the same .

Any info much appreciated

thanks

Lee
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about fitment but I do have a spare 50 engine, so if you wanted one to tune the living daylights out of, let me know! Its odone minimal miles and with a good tune and pipe and maybe a bigger bore ill bet it would go quite well!
Anygasman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

ended up Buying Bobbyboy's YSR80 and just before that a RD 80 LC engine complete with wiring loom and Rad.

As Robs was all genuine its as it will stay (Air Filter and Reeds change at most).

The 50 which I have will get the RD80LC engine as team squid USA says its a starigh bolt out and in job with just a exhaust adaptor they sell to go on. I maybe needing to get a YZ80 rad as its what they said they used on there swaps. RD rad may be just to big for this frame.
So I will have a 50 engine as well anyway with what says 800 miles on the clock but speedo cable is not there so prob more.
Chain on and soome fuel in and relief the gearbox and clutch is as sweet as the engine sounded with out the chain.

Staying as a 50 till road registered so the boy can ride it.

Need a rear seat panel / fairing pref Jap spec one with the cut out lights.
One was on eBay but snoozed and loosed.

Its tank is stripped back to metal now and Has been acid dipped inside for the light rust but will be trying a tank liner have you used one yet?

cheers

Lee
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be using a tank liner in the not too distant future!
Ill let you know how it goes and might write up a thread on it too?
Not sure if i should paint the tank first or not though, think it might be better to line it first just incase!
Let us all know how the build goes and how the bike goes too, be interested to see pics.
And the best bet for fairings looks to be having them imported from the usa, not seen many up on ebay but i would like another tail piece too just incase!
Quite like the look of some of the aftermarket ones and i saw a really nice one piece seat unit and tank, i think its by a company called airtech?
yanw

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillinghampaul wrote:

Not sure if i should paint the tank first or not though, think it might be better to line it first just incase!

Line the tank then "run with it" for a few months (or so) to check it's good before you paint it. Take your time with the prep and dry it with silica gel in the airing cupboard for a few days. Learn from my fail.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good point!
Im just assuming it will work, ill do the lining first then probably a rattle can blow over to make it presentableish
Did you try it again? And what other problems or tips have you got?
Its not had any petrol in for a long long time but it has got a little oil in it im guessing ill need all of it out though, im thinking lots of brake cleaner or degreaser followed by lots of water then a blow drier and airing as you said

Thanks for the tip, i cant believe i though maybe paint first now you have pointed that out!
yanw

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest:

* Por-15 full kit with degreaser and prep (For The Win!).
* Rinse the second stage out with dionised water (bought or from a condensing tumble dryer).
* Dry the second stage with a hair dryer.
* Get a cheap caravan dehumidifier and put the silica gel in one of your/your partners stockings and put inside the tank.
* Put the tank with stocking in the airing cupboard. Replace the silica gel after a couple of days.
* Rattle can to tidy it. Paint it after 12 months.
* Keep the tank brimmed with super-plus unleaded or bone-dry empty.
* If the tank is in storage empty it, put in the gel-stocking and make it air tight.

I've not retried to do the little bits where I did not dry it properly. I have other major issues with the bike to sort first Crying or Very sad
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and ill follow those tips but my stockings are far too good to put anything other than my legs in Shocked
I only tend to run super in my bikes anyhow, the daytona has a plastic tank and the cost is easily justified on a bike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Gag Bikes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: