Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Yamaha R1Z

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A310

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Yamaha R1Z Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but not to 2-strokes. Been riding them since I was a kid (still a kid Very Happy ). I live and work in Hong Kong and have been riding a 1988 TDR250 for the last 6-7 years now and love the bike. I almost bought and regretted not buying an R1Z at the time I bought the TDR.
Well I finally got an R1Z at a decent price and thought I would post some pictures of the bike. I have to confess that the R1Z addiction started with Feddies R1Z build years ago with his stunning Yellow Fellow Very Happy Anyway here's the pictures:
1988 TDR 250:

1997 R1Z:

P.S. The R1Z will be stripped down and rebuilt over the next 4-6 months. Going to put 3xv rear swing arm and gear on it which I still need to source the parts for. Cheers

Harling
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Very cool bikes, thanks for posting. Cool
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Looking forward to more pictures when you rebuild the R1Z

Cool
A310

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Started stripping the bike today. Reply with quote

Spent a couple hours on the R1Z today and got tank, plastics and pipes off:)

Here's a video of the bike before I started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIW06qQHks&list=UUeg_4FQmkbmpb-JyOgTX7iQ

Pictures:

SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I see it's already got a different swingarm fitted, is it a TZR arm? Along with some USD forks, not a lot to do then Smile keep the pics coming.
A310

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
Nice, I see it's already got a different swingarm fitted, is it a TZR arm? Along with some USD forks, not a lot to do then Smile keep the pics coming.

Thanks for the positive responses from everyone. The rear swing arm is from a TDR250 and the front forks from a TZR-3XV SP. The only technical work to do is weld in the rear shock support for the new 3XV rear swing arm. I have yet to find one but have a lead in Japan looking for me. If I had the swing arm I think I could have this done inside of 2 months Very Happy In the meantime I will strip and paint the engine, tank and plastics. The tank has been repaired with some sort of plastic material as was leaking Sad I'll have to weld that up as well before I do the paint.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a really good project Surprised)
fredjee
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the rebuild and as you're already familiar with the TDR your R1-Z should be easy but if you require any help i'm around Very Happy
I've recently bought myself and the R1-Z out of retirement and have been seen out and about over the last few weeks Wink
Yesterday 12-07-14 a few miles over to the Aircooled Yamaha RD Rally and a ride to Matlock Bath .

A310

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredjee wrote:
Good luck with the rebuild and as you're already familiar with the TDR your R1-Z should be easy but if you require any help i'm around Very Happy
I've recently bought myself and the R1-Z out of retirement and have been seen out and about over the last few weeks Wink
Yesterday 12-07-14 a few miles over to the Aircooled Yamaha RD Rally and a ride to Matlock Bath .

Thanks Freddie,

Cheers

Harling
A310

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Time fly's when your having fun:) Been busy working on mostly dirt bikes and hunting for parts for my R1Z. I found a a really good deal on a 3XV swing arm, front and rear rims from Yahoo Japan. They are finally here so I can now start on assembling the frame and swing arm. Still hunting odd bits and pieces, but so far looking good:). Here's some pictures of the bits.

Son Helping out

Swing arm from Japan

Swing arm and rims

This is the look I'm going for:)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: