Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Update on rg250 resto and question on oil pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevebrown

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Update on rg250 resto and question on oil pump Reply with quote

Hi all

Finally got round to trying to start ''Violet'' as my 5 year old daughter has named her lol. I refreshed all fluids and after about 5 kicks started Very Happy ... tick over seems to be fine and starts first kick now every time, so well pleased. went up and down the road and found no second gear but after investigating the gear selector wasn't aligned with the gear shift, so that's fixed now...

Only problem is I found no oil coming from the pump? the bike had been dry for ages and I read about bleeding the oil pump and letting it run with the oil feed pipes to see if oil comes out to check its working, but I only see a little dribble from the left hand side one and nothing from the right?, I have ultrasonic cleaned the pump now and going to try again once the new oil pump gasket arrives. But what sort of amount of oil should be coming from the pump? also should I run on premix while they are unplugged? if so whats the mix ratio just to be safe? Im a bit worried as its been ticking over now for a while and obviously no oil coming from the pump.

will put some pics up soon..

Thanks Neve
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If im doing the first run up before the pump is bled ill run on premix, i only stick maybe half litre in an empty tank so it dilutes down easily when filled up or you might oil up the plugs, and i would guess that 50:1 should be safe but im not promising! Thats what i run on my start ups and even if its not right, its better than none! Someone may be able to give a better figure for an rgv though
And you do only get a dribble out of the pipes when its running, i wouldnt be running any more untill you get some two stroke going through though, wont take long to do damage at all
nevebrown

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

im hoping to get a gasket tomorrow so can put the pump back in, do you reckon the oil should be dripping out or like a constant flow at tick over? obviously it should flow faster at higher revs but just wondering how much should feed out at tick over. ill do a pre mix of 50:1 and try it, cheers

thanks again
nevebrown

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I sorted the oil pump, I made my own gasket as couldn't get one in stock.

OMG its a bitch to fit in because the pipes are so short and the oil feeds keep popping off as its put in place, took about 20 attempts. I ran the bike on premix for about 7 mins but no oil was coming out the pipes where I unplugged them at the cylinders, so I unplugged them at the pump end and couldn't see much happening so I held the mechanism open to mimmick the throttle and eventually got slow drips at idle and faster drips at full open.

I then put the pipes on and plugged in to the cylinders waiting for it to draw the oil through but found oil dripping from the bike??? The pipes from the pump to the engine had deteriorated and one was almost split in half, prob where I was pulling on them so hard to get them into place.... arghhh.

All in all a good result cos I know it now works. but DREADING it when the new pipes arrive because going to have to take the pump out again
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all pipes on my my two stroke system just to be sure!
And i thought there was a little screw to remove or undo on the pump to help bleed it up?
Id say keep the premix in untill your sure though
nevebrown

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there is a little screw to bleed at the pump but it takes ages for the oil drops to travel from there then up to the cylinder, The cylinder seems to suck the oil up a bit as it has vacuum so perhaps cos I had em unplugged it was taking ages for the oil to travel, plus the fact they were prob drawing in air cos they were so fragile.

Thanks for the advice with the premix though, I could have been running it dry of oil by the time the pump bled through, I got a little smoke coming from the exhaust but nothing excessive, so all seems good,, fingers crossed lol.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather oil up some plugs than have a seizure! Much cheaper and easier to replace
wizbit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: oil pumps Reply with quote

Oil pumps only deliver a small volume so it takes a long time to get along the pipe. I always prime oil lines with 2 stroke oil using a syringe, I know it's not strictly necessary with a bleed screw but a primed line will have less air in it and be quicker to bleed. It also gives the pump something to work against. the last machine I fitted new lines on didn't have a bleed screw so I primed it and ran 3 tanks of premix through to cover any potential oil free period. Monitor the exhaust whilst weaning of pre-mix to ensure it's smoking correctly. You can also take easily accessible parts off to make sure everything is suitably oily.

As an example of the small amounts of oil used: the volume of oil in the hose alone on a Yamaha 350 YPVS will get you about 35 miles before it goes bang....don't ask me how I know (it wasn't strictly my fault) Rolling Eyes
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that story, but want to know more now!
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good oil priming info here. Glad she's running for ya, any photos for us to drool over?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: