Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Bike Shed Hipsters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Modern 'hipster' customs - what do you think ?
Hate 'em, anyone with a big beard and turned-up jeans should be shot.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sad and embarrassing, but they ain't doing anyone any harm I suppose.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Honestly ? No idea what you're talking about.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've seen a couple of bikes I quite like but I'm not sure it's for me.
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Love it, the more bikes the better and I wish I could afford one.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
My name's Butch, I have a bushy beard, dozens of tattoos and a black R-nineT with knobblies.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Bike Shed Hipsters Reply with quote

The Donington Classic Festival last weekend featured an array of these modern customs displayed alongside the Grand Prix bikes you'd expect to see, including these two below plus David Beckham's own mud-splattered Bonneville from his Brazilian trip.

There's no doubt that there's a definite movement happening, with a lot of small custom shops springing up to cater for the demand. Bikes tend to be mainly new Triumphs or BMW's, which are stripped down and made to look old and purposeful in an agricultural 'adventure-sport' kind of way. But there are other styles too and it's also being done to inline-fours and the odd old two-stroke.

The scene has attracted a lot of hate from various angles, though strangely Classic Bike magazine seems to have embraced it. All the old boys with mint Gold Stars will be choking on their Horlicks. Laughing

But what do you lot think ? A bunch of sad beardy wannabe Shoreditch hipsters with money but no imagination all jumping on a short-lived trendy bandwagon ? Or is it just a reincarnation of '50's hot-rodding or the cafe-racer scene ? Or for that matter, no different from when we all rode tuned 350LC's with paddock jackets, drainpipe jeans and white boots back in the 80's ? Discuss. And vote.

Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I appreciate the level of work that has gone into (some of) these type of bikes and some of the engineering is amazing, the styling is not to my taste and I doubt i'll be an active participant in the Hipster scene Shocked
emzedder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were built in a cramped shed with bench vices and other things punching you in the kidneys while building in the freezing cold winter - no change just different. I do however suspect they may be cheque book specials? makes a difference to me but maybe not everyone feels that way.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
If they were built in a cramped shed with bench vices and other things punching you in the kidneys while building in the freezing cold winter - no change just different. I do however suspect they may be cheque book specials? makes a difference to me but maybe not everyone feels that way.

I think that's probably where the hate comes from. If you've designed your dream bike and commissioned someone else to build it, that's one thing, we can't all be wizards with spanners. But a lot of these people have just wandered onto a showroom floor and bought something they don't even understand but somehow think is 'cool'.

I've never had a problem with form over function. I'd happily trade a bit of performance, handling or practicality for improved looks, up to a point. Of course, what looks good is entirely subjective anyway and I know from previous comments on here that my tastes aren't particularly typical... Up Yours

I've not yet seen one of these modern customs that I really love but it's entirely likely that there's one out there that I'd be pleased to own. I have less than zero interest in being part of the scene though.
emzedder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree .... everyone to their own and view depends upon background... I'm a bit old school and do it yourself mechanicals and love riding "my own work". My bikes ain't perfect and maybe slightly obtuse in many ways but their definitely my bikes ...
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see that bike. It did look very nice in the flesh. Not really a bike you can ride. Open carbs facing forward won't do much for engine longevity.
Good advertising piece for the company.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i fit in just about where most of you are!
Not something i would go and buy but i like the engineering ideas and like the custom designs and anything that gets more people riding is a massive plus in my book id rather a hipster rides and knows what its like than them getting a car of any sort and never even looking for us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: