Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

OK guys what about a KR250 then..tell it like it is!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonnietiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: OK guys what about a KR250 then..tell it like it is!! Reply with quote

Just back from an H2 Kawasaki and a couple of TDR250's I have a moody T350 Suzuki but am hankering after a KR250..so what's to know. I'm a little green when it comes to the KR I'm around 5 ft 10 and weigh 13 and half stone but have a slightly dodgy knee ( years tiling) is the riding position radical cos if it is I'm stuffed. Is it a mechanical minefield what goes wrong what should I look out for?
Cheers
Bonnietiler
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KR250A, hmm. They're famously hard to start, so your dodgy knee will hate that you have to spend ages either kicking it into life or push starting it. They're very complicated compared to any other watercooled 2-stroke twin, with at least twice as many engine components. They share almost no parts with any model before or since. You can't get new pistons/rings, either genuine or aftermarket, or throttle/choke cables. The rear exhaust rots, the handlebar mounts fracture and the mid-fairings crumble away. The rear silencer heatshield is often missing. They feel tall and narrow to ride, and a bit dated (16/18" wheels). The suspension is over-complicated and difficult to service. They're not that fast and there's a huge hole in the power under 6000rpm.

I have four. Smile

They're not that hard to find, get one that's as complete as possible and don't pay too much - anything over £3K needs to be mint. Unless it's a KR250S - they're worth more for rarity value, but are less fun to ride and even harder to find parts for (you can get an aftermarket gasket set for the A but not the S).
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
They're famously hard to start

Or are they ? See HERE and HERE.

That's not normal. I've never not been able to start one, but 5 minutes of kicking or a push-start is involved a lot of the time. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: