Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Oil leak from my AR125

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Oil leak from my AR125 Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I've noticed a bit of oil, just under the exhaust header on my AR125 and because of a knackered exhaust gasket, I'd assumed it was just been blown from there but now that I've replaced the gasket, it would appear that the leak is either from the base cylinder gasket, or from the mont of the engine cases.

Here's a few shots for you to see the leak and any comments, from those experienced in these machines would be most appreciated.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reggie,

That looks like a base gasket leak, if it is then get it fixed asap because if it's leaking petrol/oil it will probably be sucking in air too.

When you pop the barrel off, check the mating surface's because some owners do not take care when removing the old gaskets, leading to some nasty little gouges. Which may require re-surfacing or you may get away with a good sealant (three bond Very Happy ) with a new gasket.

Before you do that though, can I ask if you tightened the exhaust from the front first? Only reason I ask is my NS125 had the same probelm, so when I replaced the header gasket, I tightened those nuts before the rear fixing & now the rear fixing is about half an inch out of line but no more oil leak!
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Hi Reggie,

That looks like a base gasket leak, if it is then get it fixed asap because if it's leaking petrol/oil it will probably be sucking in air too.

When you pop the barrel off, check the mating surface's because some owners do not take care when removing the old gaskets, leading to some nasty little gouges. Which may require re-surfacing or you may get away with a good sealant (three bond Very Happy ) with a new gasket.

Before you do that though, can I ask if you tightened the exhaust from the front first? Only reason I ask is my NS125 had the same probelm, so when I replaced the header gasket, I tightened those nuts before the rear fixing & now the rear fixing is about half an inch out of line but no more oil leak!

Hi Howie,

I had a mate hold the exhaust at the rear, at the correct level whilst I lined it up from the front. I then fitted both front exhaust nuts, just to finger tight, then slipped the rear bracket on (with the nuts loose), before tightening up the front nuts, then dong the same to the rear, so that should be OK.

Trust me, I don't plan to run the engine until I've got this matter sorted out.

Can you recommend a gasket and sealant (and their supplier), so I can get an order placed? Just heading to work now, and not back home until midnight, so orders will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a sealant called Three Bond, it should be available off ebay?

I have never had a gasket leak using this stuff, it's even managed to seal a set of crankcases that someone had pried apart using a screwdriver/chisel/house brick!

It's not the cheapest but you only need a thin smear.

Some swear by Yamabond & I've had good results using a VW factory sealant but after the recent scandal about emissions I may stop using it Laughing
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

nice one matey.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree three bond is the best general gasket sealer I've used..

However on the exhaust gasket I use Permatex Ultra Copper high temp silicon and ive never have an exhaust header leak. This is just fantastic stuff for high temp areas - and stops the splatter you get from a leak.

Incidentally - that's exactly what yours looks like rather than the barrel base gasket

I would clean off and run again with a piece of card between the two potential leaking edges to find out which before I took the barrel off. (Unless your doing it anyway..)
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:

However on the exhaust gasket I use Permatex Ultra Copper high temp silicon and ive never have an exhaust header leak. This is just fantastic stuff for high temp areas - and stops the splatter you get from a leak.

Incidentally - that's exactly what yours looks like rather than the barrel base gasket

I would clean off and run again with a piece of card between the two potential leaking edges to find out which before I took the barrel off. (Unless your doing it anyway..)

Hi Shaun,

sounds like a good idea to me!

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

Permatex & Three Bond have just been ordered!

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sound advice from TS.

I've never used sealant or paste on a 2 stroke exhaust header before & generally only use copper gaskets (what are the fibre ones like?).

I would assume you only need a small amount of sealant because of the possibility of creating a carbon trap if the sealant squidges out?

Be interesting to see what you find Reggie, I do hope its a header leak, far less work Very Happy
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:

Hi Shaun,

so I presume it's a small amount of sealant on both sides of the exhaust gasket then?

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a fibre washer on the AR and smear both flat edges (front and back) with permatex to ensure a good seal.

I clean step in barrel, put seal in barrel and make sure seated well.
Use gloves and run finger around inside edge to ensure sealer not in flow area. (Gloves for sealer and because fibre gasket can have sharp edges .. cut myself more than once doing stuff like this in the past)

Fit front header and run nuts up, then fit rear hanger. Then tighten front nuts being very careful to not over tighten studs into barrel (as cast iron barrel can break against threads - common fault)

Hope it sorts it out Smile
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

just as I expected then.

I'll let you know when the stuff's delivered and I'll give it a go.

Cross them fingers for me.

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
I always use a fibre washer on the AR and smear both flat edges (front and back) with permatex to ensure a good seal.

I clean step in barrel, put seal in barrel and make sure seated well.
Use gloves and run finger around inside edge to ensure sealer not in flow area. (Gloves for sealer and because fibre gasket can have sharp edges .. cut myself more than once doing stuff like this in the past)

Fit front header and run nuts up, then fit rear hanger. Then tighten front nuts being very careful to not over tighten studs into barrel (as cast iron barrel can break against threads - common fault)

Hope it sorts it out Smile

Hi Guys n Gals,

bollox, bollox, bollocking bollox!

So earlier today I applied the gasket sealant to the exhaust and the instructions said to nip it up to finger tight, whilst it was wet, then to leave it for an hour, before applying the correct torque.

So that's just what I did and about 2 hours later I was stood alongside the bike and I heard a sharp cracking noise. And just as I looked down, I could see a full length crack had appeared in the cast iron header mount!

Bollox
A mate has one, so he's putting it in the post to me but it's a faff that I could've done without.

Oh well, the joys of tinkering and, to be honest, things have gone really well up to this point, so I can't complain.

At least I can look forward to Saturday at Stafford!

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollox !!!

I feel your pain... Sad

For want its worth for next time ignore the instructions to leave for an hour and just nip up.

I hope you mean the exhaust clamp and not the barrel that has cracked........

Be good to see you at Stafford.. Some good news? I have a new mk1 radiator cover for you if you still fancy giving the bike a naked look. Haven't got a new belly pan for you but I'm still on the case. I will take it to Stafford and you can pick it up (if you still want it ok, no problem, if you don't ok)
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

yep it's the clamp that's cracked, thank goodness!

Fab news about the radiator cover, and yes I'll gladly take it off your hands for an exchange of an appropriate number of beer vouchers.

We're aiming to arrive early, to absorb the atmosphere and to ask innocent stall holders thousands of useless questions! You have been warned.

Reggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: