Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Which 2 stroke oil & gearbox oils for AR125?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Which 2 stroke oil & gearbox oils for AR125? Reply with quote

Good Morning Guys n Gals,

I was just wondering which 2 stroke oil and which gearbox oil do you guys use on your own bikes? I ask as I'll be needing to top up y 2 stroke tank soon and I reckon I may as well drop the gearbox oil, now that she's had a bit of a run.

Whilst asking, does anyone have any recommendations for the coolant, as it would make sense to change that as well?

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used loads of different ones
Currently I'm using:

Rock lite gear oil SAE 10W/30-EP 75W/85 - this seems to work really well in the ARs and is not too expensive.

ELF Moto 2 Tech 100% synthetic 2stroke oil (just over £8/litre is a bargain on eBay but you have to buy in bulk) its a very good oil more popular in Europe and Asia than UK. When you get through it like me and my eldest lad this one is the expensive bit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151017758591?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3FssPageName%3DGSTL%26_nkw%3D151017758591%26_rdc%3D1

Silkolene Comp 2 Injector 2 stroke oil
Ride and Race (depending on the bike... Ride in one of my run arounds but will be switching to ELF; Race in a couple of highly strung motors...). Over the years I've trusted Silkolene as a good all round oil.

I also like Putoline oils but these have become very expensive too and I'm a tight bugger..

Talking of being thrifty...with the coolant/antifreeze... Ahem.... I don't know the make (because I rob it from my brothers garage, its pink that's all i can tell you and suitable for aluminium engines... I get it in bulk and its free...haha, sorry)
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the pointers.

Stan Stevens also recommended the Silkolene Comp 2 Innjector stuff.

I've got a mate who can get staff discounts at Morris oils, so I'll see what they can do.

Done another 40 odd miles on the bike today and it's running real fine. I noticed the oil warning came on for a moment when I braked slightly hard, so it must be ready for a top up.

Reggie
jim157

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Exol Optima racing fully synth, £25 posted for 5 litres off ebay.
fazey
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to add another option to it. What is suitable for pre-mix ?
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most injectors are suitable for pre-mix.

I'm a fan of silkolene comp2 but I also use castrol Power1 but it doesn't smell as nice as the comp2, not that it should be a consideration when it comes to 2t oil Embarassed

The only other thing & I'm not sure if its true but years ago I was told by someone or other that you should never mix 2t oil, whether he meant synthetic with semi or semi with mineral, I can't remember. So ever since I have drained & flushed all parts of my oil systems before changing to another make etc etc.

If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you shouldn't mix Castor Oil with mineral oils as they go gloopy and block up the injector and pipes.

Not sure about synthetic oils - to be fair using different types of semi ester based and synthetic oil has never been a problem for me. They haven't caused any problems when mixed other than red green and blue can look a bit murky Smile
AR-jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this oil be any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291375173132?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121603913998?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ive also been looking at the Exol Optima fully synth aswell
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371396463328?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just ive been paying £7 a bottle for 1 litre of synthetic and thats cheapest ive found around were iam

jack
jim157

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness they'd probably all be fine in a road bike. I use the exol as it was recommended to me by a couple of people, it also gets very positive reviews online.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to mixing oils, its normally fine with more modern oils, but you should check they are of similar make up first, the never mix oils rule was more for what ts describes, some different types of oil will turn almost to glue if mixed! It was when fully synth and semi synth were not as common but coming into use, but if there is any doubt do a complete drain. Or if your particular and have a visible tank or clear lines, do a complete change too as it will become a not so lovely colour!

And howie i thought the only way to judge a two stroke oil was by its smell? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: