Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

The French Correction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizbit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sourced a UK head light and fitted a new adjuster (brilliant white one lower right hand side):

I don't know how I missed this. Looks like the exhaust hanger bolt on the RHS was too long and fouling the swing arm!:

Luckily there is an aluminium fabricator near my workplace, will look ok once painted but importantly it's structurally sound:

Another job I busied myself with was swapping the wiring from my ignition barrel onto a '88 GSXR 1100 one. Firstly 3 of the wires on my RG one needed soldering back on.....What a bike!!!!!:

This is the back of the GSXR loom where it fits the barrel (RG one can be seen on the desk for comparison):

The soldered RG wiring fitted to the GSXR case and the back case clipped back on:

The finished result. The only drawback is the steering lock is lost, never mind:

As I'll be using the Mk2 case on my Mk3 I felt less pressured to put the bike back to it's original colour scheme. I managed to purchase the later decal set for an 87/88 bike from Canada (couldn't find them in the UK) They were half the price of UK produced ones. The upshot is I will be getting my favourite colour scheme two tone blue & white.......at some point Dance
James P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizbit wrote:
...So officially the bores are beyond their bore limits as the largest bore is 55.5mm. I will be calling around to see if I can get the barrels re-lined (clutches wallet)...

It may be a bit late now, but couldn't you have bored out the cylinders for 56mm pistons? It is a very common size - there must be some type of piston which is suitable.

Whatever the case, good to see its coming together!

Regards,
James
wizbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of a 56mm overbore but to be honest as I was sending in the crank to be totally rebuilt it would seem to be false economy to go for one final rebore. It's a big plus to have like new cranks and bores. It certainly makes the bike more saleable/valuable (not that I have any plans for that as it's a keeper for me). Wink
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that rather than let the rebuild control me I am going to control the rebuild so I'm doing it little by little.
I checked all 4 of the gear shaft bearings 1 ok, 2 ok, 3 ok and 4 b()gger! it feels a bit notchy. After a wash out, clean and re-oil it felt better but not right. The bearing in question was the one on the RHS counter shaft (clutch) and it was stuck solid. I used heat and 5 hours in the freezer but had to admit that I should use a proper tool and popped round my mate's place the next day where he pulled it off with a 150mm gear/bearing puller. I polished up the shaft where the bearing had sat with some Autosol then went about looking for a suitable drift to seat the bearing. Having nothing at home I went on a quest (I seem to do a lot of this with this bike) for it. First place I tried was a charity shop which has some buckets of old tools, normally old Imperial stuff. I promptly discovered a couple of tubular hex spanners which appeared to measure up just right for tapping the inner race down the shaft. After emptying my wallet of the 50p they cost I left with a hopeful smile.
My charity shop make do drift was perfect and the new bearing tapped down with ease...fantastic, another little victory!

The new bearing in place with the old awaiting a slam dunk into the recycling wheelie bin:
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wouldn't be right if something came out easily on this bike and the selector drum retainer screws happily obliged me. Nicely recessed it was hard to use the hammer and screwdriver trick. I had to drill them first.

Licensed to drill:

With the drum ready to slide out I eased it until bits went ping around the garage and I swore. Fortunately I found them fairly quickly:

These sprung parts seem to locate the drum (ok, so I didn't bother with the manual at this stage).
The spring goes in this recess:

The shiny pin (roller) is flat one end and rounded the other, it fitted together better with the rounded end down the hole in the spring although logically the rounded surface would be better in the groove of the pawl so it doesn't scratch it.
QUESTION: Which way does the roller pin fit, the parts diagram doesn't show it? Answer: rounded end out, flat end against the spring Wink

Anyway it appears to fit together like this, with the groove in the plate (pawl) facing down against the spring.

The drum ready to be fully removed and moved to the new cases. The hex nut at 8 o'clock releases the rear selector rod:

Last edited by wizbit on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Straycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good , great progress
1989 Yamaha RZ350 ypvs
1989 Yamaha FZR400
1987 Suzuki RG250 Gamma
1986 Honda NS400R
1988 RGV250 VJ21A-J
1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex
1985 Honda VF1000R (x2)
1985 Yamaha RZ500
wizbit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress, but it's still good. I discovered the little chrome pawls have the rounded narrow end sticking out and away from the spring as they run in the groove of the small outer cover.
wizbit

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress but things are gradually moving forward. The Mk3 gearbox internals and rebuilt crank have now been transferred to the Mk2 case and it's finally bolted up. A new first for me as I've looked in gearboxes but never had to dismantle one. Still, I wanted to push myself a bit further than previous work I've done on bikes and the RG is definitely delivering on that front! I'm also learning things which you'd have to pay for if you did a course somewhere.
I've degreased the fairings and given them a reasonable clean so they are not far off from going to the spray shop. I will need to create a little decal map for the guys doing the paint as there are loads of the stickers in my chosen set.
Degreased:

That bracket doesn't seem to show on the parts diagrams. They hold the belly and middle fairing together:

I guess I should try a test fit of the fairings before they get repaired and resprayed, we'll see how it goes.
I've stripped the paint off the left hand engine cover and it's just had a coat of etch this afternoon ready for the top coats. I then decided to dig out and inspect the right/clutch cover. I knew it had 'tasted tarmac' but once the grime was removed I unearthed this:

I unbolted the end pipe and found the rubber seal had actually been worn through from this incident.
Ouch!:

My first thought was get it repaired and machined locally but realistically it would make economic sense to just replace it with another.
Although not strictly in chronological order I will end the post on a high. My seat is back from the upholsterer and gives me a glimpse of how the bike is going to look in it's new colour scheme. It's quite encouraging to see little things gradually being put right:
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wizbit,

that seat is a work of art.

Reggie
wizbit

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, it looks great thanks to the upholsterer who fitted the cover I bought. I thought about covering it myself but I really wanted it to look 'factory' rather than wrinkly here and there due to my in experience. Sometimes you just have to pass jobs on to an expert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: