Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Regulator/rectifier RG250 Gamma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lollie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Regulator/rectifier RG250 Gamma Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I recently checked the charging voltage as my battery fluid was getting low to find that at 5ooo rpm the voltage was going to 18.5 volts.
I sourced a second hand unit from a wrecking yard, the proprietor said I could try it first, and it went to 14.5 volts. All good.
I have since done around 500 kms and the thing is now charging up around the 18 volts again.
This is obviously not good for the system/ignition etc. and I was wondering if anyone has heard of the same symptoms before and if there is a way to rectify (no pun intended) this, or is there a reasonably cost effective replacement out there?
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Lollie
James P

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...buying secondhand components like rectifier-regulators is a bit hit or miss, as you may have found out. Having said that, a failed rectifier-regulator will often allow the voltage to vastly exceed 18.5V at 5000rpm. Still, I would regard the secondhand unit as extremely suspect and suggest buying a new one.

Although I haven't got an RG250, I have bought new rectifier-regulators for other bikes from ElectrexWorld in England (http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Regulator_Rectifier_206.html) which have proved reliable so far. It seems that RR13 is the correct unit for an RG250. There are many other suppliers and brands but, whoever you buy from, you pay your money and take a chance Confused.

Just in case there is something on your bike which may be causing the rectifier-regulator to fail prematurely, it would be handy to be able to monitor the voltage. I have added a small digital DC voltmeter to each bike, so I can monitor the voltage while riding. I don't use batteries, so my voltmeters are connected directly to the battery terminals. If you want to retain your battery, I'd suggest connecting the voltmeter to the switched +12V DC wire on the output of the ignition switch (so the voltmeter isn't switched on all the time).

Here is something I posted on the topic on the KR-1S forum, which will give you an idea: http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12509&hilit=regulator+failure.

Regards,
James
Lollie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James for the input. I'm afraid I have just got a much more pressing problem now. I will sort the regulator one out after I fix the Engine housing. I am just about to put up a post regarding this now. I will enquire at the sites and check out the part numbers you posted in the meantime. Thanks again. Graham.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: