Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My RG250 Gamma MK1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead air on the project while I was finishing my car project.. I haven't started the bike since rebuilding the clutch. I'm actually having some engagement issues. Not sure if its from forgetting to soak the clutch discs or if the heavy duty springs are causing issues. I can pull the lever fully, but I don't get any engagement(won't roll in gear with lever pulled).

Finally was around it last night to look - was hoping to pull the oil filler plug and see what's going on, but forgot the side cover blocks the view. Sometime I'll get around to pulling that bastard off once more and inspect
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going camping this weekend and decided to see if my suzuki RS250 would start for me. Negative.. but I did get it's clutch unstuck using the 2nd gear trick! Not sure where I read it, but bumping 2nd works much better than 1st to loosen a stuck clutch.

As I walked past the RG in the shop I decided I'd try 2nd and see if her clutch would loosen up as well. SURE ENOUGH!! Two quick bumps in 2nd and the clutch loosened right up, roll perfect in all gears with clutch in now. Damn near made my weekend Very Happy

I've had a few hiccups on my Subaru rebuild, but hoping to schedule some time to get the tank on the RG and test fire soon. Hopefully with the carbs and clutch rebuilt she'll be itching to ride just as much as I am!
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank is on, coolant/trans oil in and seem to be holding well with the new gasket. Next I'll top off engine oil, splash premix in the tank and final bleed on the oil pump. Then hopefully I'll get to saddle her up for a decent ride. Been a long time coming, I'll be sure to take plenty of photos/videos!!
yamfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all there with you!

Enjoyable read - be nice to see it all back together.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please ...looking forward to seeing the pics Smile
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents!! As she sits now;

Mother nature's gentle way of saying it's been too long since I've given it any attention;

Back is acting up, but hopefully will still get a few hours over the weekend to turn a tool. Going to scrub front sprocket area and do final burp on the pump. Don't think I'll pull the oil pipes/lines off the cylinders. They have some age and I fear they'll split when I pull them. I plan to replace all the hoses/lines down the road so I think I'll just run premix in the tank until I'm certain the oil pump/lines are fully burped.

Patiently waiting for me
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend went well!! Got friday night and saturday morning on the bike. Finally got her started friday night and got my first good ride in saturday.

Clutch feels great and clutch cover gasket is holding well, just a little seepage. I'm ok with a little piddle on the floor if she lets me get a ride in here and there. The ride out was great, but a little nerve wracking as I was constantly worried and watching the temp gauge. Made it there without any hiccups though! Only had a small dip from the clutch cover. Still taking the gasket through it's heat/cool cycle. A few more rounds of it and torquing and hopefully will seal up 100%

Ride home was very fun as I was getting a bit more confident with her health. Ride/runs great, will need new tar soon though as it feels the front is cupped slightly. Unfortunately when I got home I had some gas leaking from the carb. Looked to be leaking right around the float bowl, so I'll have to dig back in and double check my screws, gasket and float seat/needle. Still very pleased and over the moon to have taken my first ride on it. By far the best 2 stroker I've had the opportunity to ride!!

Sprocket area and cover cleaned off

Getting ready to leave for the maiden voyage

Made it home without a tow!

Few quick clips I snoitched to remember getting her back up and going.
http://vid287.photobucket.com/albums/ll129/steezin_and_wheezin/01_new%20buckets/0819162313a_zpsyjckuvyz.mp4

http://vid287.photobucket.com/albums/ll129/steezin_and_wheezin/01_new%20buckets/0820161718_zpsf7r9fbyg.mp4

Thanks for all the help and encouragement on this one! It's my first +200cc's multi cylinder two stroke I've gotten to rebuild and enjoy. Definitely not my last though!! Once I get if 100% sorted I'll dig into building my tamiya model of her!
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done

Looks great in red

Enjoy

Erik
wizbit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all went well. I see you have the bent gear shaft thing going on. Mine is slightly bent too. It must be a common thing. Have you ever tried extracting the shaft?

Nice view over the forest, what part of the world is that?
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fella's!

Yeah Wiz.. gear shaft is a bit tweaked. It's functioning fine so I haven't paid I much mind. Doubt I'll dig into the cases just to replace it. Thanks, definitely going to miss this view when I move into a place with garage. I'm on the east coast of USA(Radford, VA).

Still need to dedicate a bit more time to solve my carb dribble then I'll be twisting it up as regularly as I can!
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lovely place.

Not sure if you know but (on the Mk3) if you ever need to replace it you can take the clutch cover off and just pull it straight out from there. No need to split the gearbox Wink
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. We definitely enjoy our outdoors here!! Top tip on the shaft sliding out from the clutch side. I'll look over my service manual and will have to see. Wouldn't mind cleaning it up even more someday. Maybe top end rebuild and drop in some fresh reeds.

Was cleaning the shop/basement today and the Gamma kept catching my eye.. So I had to give her a little attention. Flipped the petcock to RES, no dribbling from carbs. Switched to ON and all was well. Kicked her over and warmed up a bit, everything looked solid. Decided with winter rolling in even if the carb ends up dribbling I wanted to get it fully assembled.

Gave it a good scrubbing and it cleaned up really well! Glad to finally get all that over spray off.

Tank before;

After;

Before;

After;

Something funky still leached on my decal..

Side fairing before;

After;

Belly fairing ready for a good scrubbing;

Feels good to have it back together and looking fiiiine!

Going to take it for my work commute this week when the weather clears out
wizbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Buck Rogers rear end!
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time without any updates!! Still have my RG, and still certain I won't ever sell it unless it's to bring home a RG5. I have been on the look out for a decent RGV project here in the states, but ones that need some work and within my price range are few and far between.

Last year most of my bikes and project bikes took the backseat to my cross country motorcycle ride, wanted to ride more than wrench so I went with a four stroker : * ( ..Still with my Suzuki blood in me I did the ride on a C90T, 1500cc cruiser, you can read about that here (http://www.volusiariders.com/49-stories-road/378706-friends-road-2017-coast-coast-attempt-c90t.html). Then once I was home it was time to move all my earthly belongings into store in prep to sell/split the house I owned with my brother. Now I'm on the house hunt, but aiming to get one with some sort of garage for me to tinker and big enough to have my girlfriend move in with me. All my bikes except Anna my Gamma were put into storage along with all the gear. Hoping to find a house here in the next few months to surround myself with my two smokers again.

To catch up my project thread so I can look back on down the road;

Had some some Night Tune stickers waiting for me when I got back from my cross country ride, follow them on Instagram if you are on there!

Wrench and small final ride with my brother and friend. My 3 man crew I dubbed Death Rattle had one final ride with my brother's tomos crapping out on us per usual.. I need to rebuild it this summer for him.

Gave her a little spotlight since I hadn't ridden in too long. I let the battery go flat and it dropped a cell so I couldn't even start her if I wanted to..

Moved her out in the sunlight while dragging all the fifties out of the basement

My 50cc ped collection before loading up and taking to storage

My ns50f always putting a smile on my face. Why does honda have to be soo good at reliability?? Knock on wood, but she's always ready to start for me no matter how long I've made her wait

My last photos I took of Anna at my old house. I tried to use a jump pack and get her running for one last ride, but the cables were so short I ended up getting miffed and just loading her up and taking to my parents garage

Parked for the winter at my parents. I have been there for a few months while searching for my next house. Grateful they let me stay while house hunting and have missed getting to see them everyday.

Finally ordered a new battery, but ordered one I had bought for a project moped so it's tiny. Luckily I don't need many cold cranking amps and it fit so I figured I'd save returning hassle and use it anyhow

Heltmet is in storage, but luckily my dad had one of my uncles old open faces to get out and test ride. Usually hate getting in the frame with my bikes, but been saying I want more photos of me with 'em to remember when I'm old and grey. So I'll just have to get use to seeing my ugly mug!

I have moved my MK1 around and let her collect dust for too long. Clutch took a bit to break loose again, but floats even cooperated so I got a decent 20-30 min ride. Felt great to finally knock the cobwebs off and hear her out ringa dingin! Coolant temps were good for the ride, raised up a bit over mid way when I let it sit idling while setting up the cam before/after some semi aggressive pulls. Usually my needle hovers between the E & M on the gauge and it got up to centered on the M at it's warmest. Leveled right out on the regular spot after getting the air moving through the radiator again.

I did have one hiccup.. been so use to modern bikes I left the damn kickstand down when pulling out the driveway. Slotted it in gear and rode off like a klutz. Luckily I was creeping in first gear.. Still almost dump the damn thing! Stupid move Ryan.. It's a slight left curve in the driveway and I felt something lock/stick and I was forced off the right side of the driveway. Barely got stopped before getting friendly with some bushes. Only my front tire barely dropped off the driveway edge, but in my mind I was already processing if that would've happened at full speed (yikes). Didn't realized what happened at first, and this was the first (hopefully last) time I've ever done it. At first I was expecting a thrown chain or front wheel malfunction. After assessing - all looked good so I looked at the tarmac where the event occurred, sure enough evident of a kickstand down and dragging off to the side of the driveway. Cleaned my pants and continued on the ride.

https://youtu.be/tEo6Pk9PsCs

With the bike seeming to run well - I'm going to get insurance back on it and tag/register to have her ready to ride into work when temps warm up. I have about a 20 mile commute into the office and plan to get some seat time commuting on her. I'll do another oil change, look over everything closely and then twist it up.

Need to find some belly fairing/cowl brackets or make some to keep the fairing from beating itself to death. They are rare as hens teeth so I may end up getting with a machinist friend and making something.
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the RG is still knocking about, and hope the house hunting goes well, looks like a really beautiful area.

Must have a look at you road trip later on Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: