Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

AR 80 Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments, good to see there are more AR freaks out there.

Yes the little blue man, what can I say - Guilty as charged.

I see some chancer is looking for 85 pounds for one exhaust collar on the bay - I think they were 4 or 5 euro each from CMSNL. I got a genuine air filter for 5 euro and also got a new baffle for 40 euro.
All in all not to bad - I am getting over the shock.Very Happy

The automatic side stand, this has been almost mythical around here.
None of the AR's we owned had this feature. We flicked up our stands the old fashioned way. Some people I talked to would mention the feature and I would look at them blankly.

Well not any more. I got a genuine clutch cable with the branch off for the stand, and bought the hook part of the mechanism which was missing. I made the collars and stand pivot bolt.

It looks simple when you see it in the pictures but took a few minutes to get it figured out.

Finding the patent application from 1977 didn't help either
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4095823.html

In the down position, most of the bits dont do anything

When retracted, the hook plate catches on the frame roller and it helps the stand to fully retract even it the main spring becomes a little weak.

The plate with the cable attachment point, pivots to start the stand on its journey and the small spring keeps the plate pressed against the frame stop. This keeps the cable inner pushed in and stops it interfering with the clutch action . The big mystery has now been solved and I have to find something else to annoy myself with.

Last edited by yamfan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR Freaks...brilliant ..plenty of them on here and you fit right in Smile

The mystical stand retracting system was also used on the early AR125....later versions were refined and is different on the 125 Smile

Once my phone can open the pdf I will no doubt spend ages looking at the patent ..its how I am Smile
yamfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it until bed time to read the patent application Laughing

It didn't take long to annoy myself with something else.

I set up the heater in my painting shed to do a small touch up on the wheels.
A small run and a small area that was not fully covered. one on each wheel.

The shed warmed up and I prepped and sprayed the areas. Almost immediately the paint started to react... Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What was worse was I have to leave it to dry before I can try to rectify it.

Oh well, I reckon I used too much thinners, Every day's a school day.
yamfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have left the reacting wheels in the naughty corner to think about their behaviour.

In the meantime I have had a little diversion, a KE 100 was put up for sale and I went to have a look.

Turns out it came with some friends.

KE up front, KH parts bike behind, AR 50 Parts bike with engine at the back and also another weathered KH 100 engine. There are six knackered fork legs in there too.

I spent a day or two sifting through this lot, I have seen things, terrible things. Laughing

A loom made from twin and earth electrical cable, AR headlight and clocks fixed onto a KH and a homemade cockpit with a moped speedo bodged onto the AR.

The upshot of all this is that I now have a master cylinder for the AR courtesy of the KH and a load of AR parts, most of which were better than my original parts that have been made good. Oh well.

AR MC with suzuki hose and unknown caliper drilled to mount the KH.

And then the KE itself,

The headlight is an AR one, courtesy of the same frankenstein KH.
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yamfan,

excellent way of getting stuff.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamfan, you have to get that Ke100 back on the (off)road Thumbs Up

That looks spot on for a bit of dirty tomfoolery. In fact I would go as far as to say I dare you, no, I double dare you Laughing
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
yamfan, you have to get that Ke100 back on the (off)road Thumbs Up

I always liked the KE 100, but never saw many of them, Turns out it's a bit smaller than I remembered. It must be the wagon wheel effect - they didn't get smaller we just got bigger.

The KE will be made into a runner and we shall see from there. The KH is actually a much nicer looking prospect but it has had it's wheels and other valuables removed.
They seem to be overlooked and unloved.
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some work done in front of the stove last night.
The seat was pretty nasty, had an aftermarket two tone cover that was well past its best.

This cover arrived from Thailand - Pit Replica seller.
It was 60 quid but is as good as you will get I think.

I kept it beside the stove to soften it and make working the cover easier.

The rear half is really sweet, but the front could be slightly better. It is fine for now and is living in the hot press to take shape and protect it from the cat Confused Need to get some more staples.
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yamfan,

nice job.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one of those covers from Thailand too.. it was the only one I could find that copied the originals heat pressed pattern on the top. Not cheap but great quality. I felt the red colour was ever so slightly darker than the old one .. but then it was New after all and not carrying highlights from years of sunshine (ahem.. when I say years of sunshine please remember I live in the uk ..) Wink

Great work Yamfan !
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
. I felt the red colour was ever so slightly darker than the old one

Bang on, it was my first thought when I opened the package, beggars can't be choosers though. Perhaps for the next order, an email request for a slightly lighter colour would do the trick?

I have been in the painting shed again, the paint is taking for ever to harden up, because it is so cold. I have a little bit of heat on the scene now though.

hope to have some more photos in a week or so, been busy with the KE, painting the house and fixing lawnmowers, also the bike show was on, Triumph Street triple for me please if anyone is buying. Very Happy
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully no one will notice it's been a day shy of a year since the last update Embarassed

I got the KE up and running, I think is is great fun but no one else will ride the thing - they point blank refuse, saying nasty things about it Laughing

I got fed up looking at the bare frame and was procrastinating over what paint to use,
I eventually just said feck it - paint the thing with whatever is handy and get it done.
Its better to have a clean looking bike that isn't perfect than a perfect bike that isn't completed.

Hopefully the pics are working, went with imgur - not loving it but hey ho

Wheels with new disk and rear sprocket

Front fork legs with new stanchions ready to go

I still need an exhaust, but now I am happy it's going in the right direction
yamfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more stuck together tonight, This is the fun part Very Happy

Bled up the front brake and it all seems good.

Need to get new tyres pronto!
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress!! Loving the attention to detail. Wish there were more of these hooner bikes around my neck of the woods. Had a few chance to jump on ar80's and one ar50 I was miffed I missed out on. I buy any brand of 50cc-ers, but only have brought home 1 honda and 3 yama's in the sea of suzukis(20+) I've owned. Wouldn't mind getting a taste of some kawi's someday!! Never heard of the auto side stand, pretty nifty contraption! Especially after leaving mine down on the RG and about taking a dive Embarassed

Love this quote and need to apply it to some of my projects sitting in storage while I'm searching for a new place to setup shop
yamfan wrote:
Its better to have a clean looking bike that isn't perfect than a perfect bike that isn't completed.
yamfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steezin, These little bikes are very rare around here too, Back when I was a chap, there were everywhere. Ar 80's, RG 80's and Nsr 80's too. But now most of them are no more.

When I was young and dumb, the insurance was up to 50cc automatic - twist and go.
Next step was 50cc to 100cc and then 100cc to 125cc which was double or triple the cost of the 50 - 100cc policy.

Most people went for the 50 - 100.
bikes like the RSX 100, TS 100, Ke/kh100 and the sporty 80's were very popular.

Only the rich kids had 125's - the TZR 125 was the dream machine back then Cool (still is really)

The Little Ar got its engine fitted today, There was no front engine mounting bolt, so I had a spare longer one which I cut and then threaded.

The aftermarket kick start folds in too much, so it was rubbing on my hastily painted side cover.
I had to build up the stopper with some weld and the grind it down a little.
Bit of a squirt of paint and it was all good. I suppose you get what you pay for - still happy enough with it.

Tyres are on the way, cheep and cheerful - about 50 Euro for the pair - one of the great things about the little bike is the little prices Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: