Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Intro, new SDR owner saying hello!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Intro, new SDR owner saying hello! Reply with quote

Hello, My names matthew and I'm an SDR owner. Wow, feel better admitting that in public...! I haven't really used forums before so this looked like the right way of breaking my duck.
I'v had a 20 year break from bikes altogether but only ever owned 2 strokes. Starting with a TZR125, then an SDR (at 18!) and then an NSR250RRSP before I realised I liked being warm and wasn't enjoying the 3 hour weekend winter commute on a 2 stroke anymore... However, harboured deep feeling for the SDR in all that time and regretted ever selling it. So, find myself a bit more flush now days, and an experienced engineer, but sadly a totally inexperienced bike mechanic...so I need help!
I have just bought a really clean SDR, and after a single ride in the fading english summer, I've starting pulling it apart, and getting it built to my dream bike specifications.
I've already benefitted from a lot of good info on these forums (ta!), and I'm a meticulous record keeper and researcher. I would like to create a very thorough SDR resource, and have some extensive spreadsheets that are rapidly growing. Everything about pricing, model options, spares availability, maintenance and construction notes etc.
If anyone can point me in the right direction for general bike chat on the SDR and where that should be conducted then please let me know, as I'm not sure the best way to approach forum posting. Thanks in advance, and really hope I'll get to meet some of you at a bike meet etc. Sadly, my younger days and horde of biker mates have evaporated over the years. On the plus side, I'll be staying alive longer with luck and keeping my stroker ultra pristine!
SDR200
yamfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Matthew,

You have come to the right place.

There are a couple of SDR owners on here, myself included. Some of them even know what they are doing!

Have you any pics of the SDR?
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Matthew. Thanks for introducing yourself. Very Happy

There are quite a few SDR owners on here, which is probably how you found us. This is a good place to post your accumulated knowledge, if you want to.

Simply reply to this post, or feel free to start a new forum thread in the Yamaha section or elsewhere as you see fit. If you want to publish your spreadsheets, pictures or anything else, you'll have to make them available online somewhere and then add a link to them from here. If you don't like what you've posted, you can easily edit or delete it.

Forums are interactive in nature, so if you want to have total control over how all your information is presented, you'll have to develop your own webpage or blog and then point us at it from here instead.

Howie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Matthew,

Never had the pleasure of riding a SDR. Lovely looking bikes though & maybe one day I will.

If you are looking for a host for your pictures, do not use photobucket!
There are a fair few hosts that are free to use.
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, will try to contribute whenever I can. I work away for extended periods so planning how best to use my time rather than actually working. First thing is translating the technical manual and producing an XL spreadsheet of all the part number. Hoping I can then with help build up a concise list of parts and where to get them, using the online suppliers like consolidated and fowlers.

I've ordered stacks of stuff already, confirmed through various means , and spoken direct with a few manufacturers to identify any fitting issues. Apart from getting parts of the frame powder coated, and a small weld repair on engine front bracket, I don't have time for much more. The paintwork is in progress as is recovering the seat. It had a weird but lovingly applied home paint job so needs to go right back to bare.

So my first questions, as I've been chasing a few things without success as yet, and you may have had some yourself.

I want to fit a Yoshimura temp/voltmeter. Anyone got experience fitting one?

And frame plugs...I hate the black plastic things. Searched high and low for the right fit/finish. Only one I like is the Moroyaki type, but cannot find details on exact sizes to fit (36mm id) SDR. I may get some machined up, so if I do maybe we can look at a job lot?

I have a triumph/nissin 4 pot front caliper on order. Hoping it will fit straight in or do I need a larger caliper, which will also be a bonus. Read extensive info regards brakes, but nothing conclusive.
SDR200
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got the one "before" shot of the bike in the garage. I've ridden it once before deciding it needs a total overhaul! I'll bang it back together in 3 weeks or so just to leave it for the next time I'm home and will post those pictures.

Also, anyone added a NHK damper from webike?
And the tachometer question...I'm looking into that now as fancy a small analogue in keeping with the existing speedo. I'm going for a sensitive update of the bike...not a pimp my ride.
SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strokeoneout wrote:

And the tachometer question...I'm looking into that now as fancy a small analogue in keeping with the existing speedo. I'm going for a sensitive update of the bike...not a pimp my ride.

As you may have read in my project topic (http://diffrentstrokers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2308), I used a mechanical tachometer from an SRX250 3WP. This looks "factory" and seems to work just fine - if you don't mind the +6% error (I don't).

Thanks to Photobucket my pictures have disappeared, but I could send some via e-mail if you like.

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strokeoneout wrote:
First thing is translating the technical manual and producing an XL spreadsheet of all the part number. Hoping I can then with help build up a concise list of parts and where to get them, using the online suppliers like consolidated and fowlers.

Matthew,

You may not need to compile an Excel spreadsheet - the SDR parts catalogue is available here (http://myreader.toile-libre.org/uploads/My_510d86e782eca.pdf), thanks to Terminaterre.
If you want to translate the part names, get a copy of the "50 sounds table" (use Google search) - all the part names are in English, but spelled out using Japanese Katakana characters (e.g. "crankshaft" is spelled out as ku-ra-n-ku-si-a-fu-to, "piston" is pi-su-to-n etc.).

Many parts are still available from Yamaha and you can use Yamaha's parts look-up facility to get price and availability (https://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/parts-search/pc/). Select the blue box, which will open another screen where you can use the box at the very bottom of the page to type in part numbers (for more than one part number, click the triangle/arrow, which will expand that section to ten lines). When you have typed in your part numbers, click the black box at the bottom right-hand corner of that section to submit your list. The list will then appear in another window with prices and availability. I find it useful to specify a quantity of 10 for each part, so you can tell whether Yamaha holds sufficient stock (some parts are still technically available, but Yamaha may have low stock or no stock).

You can probably order whatever parts you want from a local dealer, but I have found it beneficial to order parts directly from Japan. I have had excellent service from J-Parts (http://www.j-mart.biz/j-parts/ - select the "OEM Parts" option), although Webike and other firms offer a similar service.

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strokeoneout wrote:
I have a triumph/nissin 4 pot front caliper on order. Hoping it will fit straight in or do I need a larger caliper, which will also be a bonus. Read extensive info regards brakes, but nothing conclusive.

Matthew,

If the Triumph caliper is the same as the TZR250 (3MA & 3XV), R1-Z (3XC) and FZR250 (3LN) right-hand caliper, it should fit straight on with the standard SDR disc.
I used a caliper from an FZR 3LN, but with a 300mm diameter disc (I made an adaptor to relocate the caliper). I used a half-inch-bore remote reservoir Nissin master cylinder (from late model RG125/200) and am quite satisfied with braking performance.

Regards,
James
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

Manage to lose my comprehensive reply... so I'll try again! Actually was reading through your post, and you are way way ahead of me on the bike engineering detail. Gutted cannot see the pictures as that would be so useful. I'm already in awe of the detail, but thats something I'm not really able to replicate to quite the same degree as I've just a small english garage that I also need to squeeze my car in. Have some excellent local resources though, but I'll stick to making it pretty for now.

Calliper wise, wrong one arrived... I'm on holiday for a week so will test when I'm back but I know the mount holes are the same and its a pretty Nissin unit. I think its from a speed triple so has an adaptor clamp, and I'll get a floating rotor to suit. Are Yamaha rotors generally available in most sizes? Regards brakes, is it worth upgrading the master cylinder? Hoses naturally, but I've some minor corrosion on the master cylinder assembly so may get it blasted and powder coated. Don't like the alternative handle bar mounted type master cylinder, but do have a billet version on order from China to see if I like it.

Spreadsheet wise, I wanted to create something searchable and comprehensive. Aside from part numbers and cross referenced parts, it should then give specs for fixings (as plan to replace all with stainless), alternative parts, notes on fitting, and prices/availability. I'm using the consolidated parts BV website as the Yam one is only in Japanese, or I cant find where to change the language. Regards fixings, is there anything that shouldn't/couldn't be replaced with SS A4 or needs to be a different material/high tensile specific? You may have a workshop manual that I haven't found yet, as not sure I've got the service plans etc, but has all the exploded diagrams. Unless thats the last few pages of info? Is there a list of recommended torque settings anywhere?

Definitely regards the tacho, thats the way I wanted to go. Not so easy to find though, but would love a photo as was trying to work it out. Is it just a bracket on the SDR clock, or do you need the complete unit and where does the feed come off? Regards clocks, like the idea of the yoshimura temp/voltmeter gauges I've seen. Any thoughts on those?

Anyway, I'be been getting carried away taking it apart, and glad I have. Found the welds on the front engine mount cracked, and missing a few bolts here and there, and blocked coolant passages etc. Actually, not so hard once I get started, and being careful to photo and note as I go along. Every man should build a bike once in his life! Though you've put me to shame on the tech detail... Thanks for your help. I'd love to pull your info into a similar format, to show all off shelf engine upgrades (like the DTR piston etc), and more advanced mod elements.

Was considering a dropbox folder to share the documents with those interested to see if any feed back. I get addicted to producing technical documents and Xl lists....should probably channel it into the bike...
SDR200
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find a complete SRX unit for £60. winner...

Anyone happen to know what other bikes, guessing TZR250 would have identical brake hoses as the SDR for the sake of ordering?
SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strokeoneout wrote:
Are Yamaha rotors generally available in most sizes? Regards brakes, is it worth upgrading the master cylinder?

As you likely know, there are many Yamaha disc rotors available with the same bolt pattern. One way to find a disc suitable for your application is to use this handy search facility compiled by Metalgear:
http://www.metalgear.com.au/search_by_disc_measurements.php

The bore size of the master cylinder should be compatible with the caliper you want to use. There is a ratio (or ratio range) between master cylinder piston area and combined caliper piston area which should yield suitable performance, but I'm no expert on the matter. I did a bit of internet research and decided that my FZR 3LN caliper with half-inch master cylinder should be OK...and it is. I suppose you couldn't go too far wrong calculating the ratio for the standard SDR master cylinder and caliper, then choosing a master cylinder which will maintain that ratio as closely as possible. Of course there are other variables (disc diameter, co-efficient of friction of brake pad material etc.), but adhering fairly closely to the standard ratio should be a good start.

strokeoneout wrote:
Regards fixings, is there anything that shouldn't/couldn't be replaced with SS A4 or needs to be a different material/high tensile specific? You may have a workshop manual that I haven't found yet, as not sure I've got the service plans etc, but has all the exploded diagrams. Unless thats the last few pages of info? Is there a list of recommended torque settings anywhere?

I did replace a small number of the standard fasteners on my SDR with generic stainless steel or zinc-plated high-tensile steel items, but I generally prefer to stick to the standard fasteners, particularly the "special" ones. I had most of my SDR fasteners replated and they turned out quite well. Many standard SDR fasteners are still available from Yamaha too. I have found it useful to buy "fastener packs" from bike breakers in Japan (i.e. all the chassis fasteners from a bike they have dismantled) - very handy if you are missing any of the special fasteners, or if yours are beyond reclamation.
Torque settings are in the workshop manual, although Yamaha also publishes a generic list of torque settings based on thread diameter and pitch, which I think can be found in most genuine Yamaha workshop manuals.

strokeoneout wrote:
Definitely regards the tacho, thats the way I wanted to go. Not so easy to find though, but would love a photo as was trying to work it out. Is it just a bracket on the SDR clock, or do you need the complete unit and where does the feed come off? Regards clocks, like the idea of the yoshimura temp/voltmeter gauges I've seen. Any thoughts on those?

The SRX250 3WP speedo frame is exactly the same as SDR, but has an additional tab for mounting the tacho. I can only guess that SDR speedo frames were made the same way, but the tab was cut off! It should be a very simple job to weld a tab on in the correct position. However, obtaining a complete set of 3WP instruments would give you everything you need. I think some later SRX400/600 models used very similar arrangements. If by "feed" you mean the drive source for the tacho, it comes from the primary drive gear on the clutch basket. Curiously, the SDR engine casing has been machined to fit tacho drive gears but the aperture in the top is blanked off by a plug. I used a set of DT200R tacho drive gears (from 37F/1TG/2LR model, also Australian-market 3CJ model based on JDM 3ET model) with a drive cable for the same model.

There are many digital temperature gauges available - just make sure you get one with the correct size thermocouple slug (i.e. the bit which screws into the cylinder head). I used a TDR250 temperature gauge because I think it matches the rest of the instrument assembly. If you are thinking of using a rectangular digital gauge, decide where you are going to put it and whether you will be happy with the appearance. The same applies for digital voltmeters.

I have replied to your PM about workshop manuals. I am happy to send you any of the photos which Photobucket has deleted - let me know.

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strokeoneout wrote:
Anyone happen to know what other bikes, guessing TZR250 would have identical brake hoses as the SDR for the sake of ordering?

I think most of the well-known brake line makers have a listing for the SDR (I think some of these are even listed on Ebay), so you shouldn't have to guess at compatibility. However, it may be best to wait until you decide on master cylinder and caliper before ordering a hose.
I usually use Venhill Powerhose Plus components, which means I can choose from a variety of standard hose lengths and different banjos (angles, offsets etc.), any of which I can easily change if minor adjustments are required (e.g. if I later decide to fit a different master cylinder or a different caliper, or if something else I fit later fouls the hose). I have bought a selection of banjos to keep in stock to ascertain best fitment and I then just order standard hose lengths as required.

Regards,
James
marky boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

hi all me being a newbe sdr owner I found megazip web site a great place for spares from japan or the usa all part numbers are in English too ,
three day delivery as well im restoring mine at the moment
if I can work out how to post photos im crap with computers I will [/url]
strokeoneout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marky, congrats! Love to see some pics. Great llittle bike. Looking forward to getting home for Xmas so I can rebuild my baby as well.

Yam parts are as I understand it, all standard prices, as most of the suppliers are just tapped into the Yamaha network as white labels. Though I have fished around for some parts and found them priced and available on different sites.

Where are you in the world? I've spent a good few quid already, and have a good few spares to move on, plus been tapping up people on here for lots of info as well. Whats your plan with the bike?

M
SDR200
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: