Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR CARB SETTINGS HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankclock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: SDR CARB SETTINGS HELP Reply with quote

I have had a few problems with my SDR since buying it
The bike seems to be running rich on tickover seeming to be very lumpy

I fitted smaller pilot jet with a bit better result but still not as I would like it
As I have 2 carbs I thought I would rebuild the spare but am unsure about the needle position, it has 2 plastic washers below the circlip & the clip is on the 2nd groove from the top

Can anyone give me a general setup as to where the washers & clip should be
any help would be great
James P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

As far as I know, the plastic spacer(s) goes on top of the needle clip to keep it in position in the throttle slide, before fitting the throttle cable retainer.

I'm not sure how thick your spacer(s) is/are, but you may find that having the spacer underneath with the clip in position 2 is the same as having the spacer on top with the clip in position 3 (which is the standard setting).

For your interest; The SDR throttle slide is identical to the TZR 1KT throttle slide, except that the counterbore for seating the needle clip in the SDR slide is machined 1.5mm deeper.

If you think the mixture is too rich at low throttle openings, are you sure all of the air passages are completely clear? Have you got the correct size pilot air jet? Is the starter/choke plunger seating correctly in the closed position?

Not sure if any of this will help - let us know if you make any progress.

Regards,
James
frankclock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Carb rebuild Reply with quote

James
Thanks for the reply
The bike is fixed? after fitting another carburetor
I had my original stripped & cleaned & could not see anything wrong but being unsure I decided to fit the other carb I had
It was fitted with original sized jets with clip on 2nd groove & as soon as it was started it was much crisper & nicer to ride
Perhaps it is still a little rich low down I may try a smaller pilot jet
I think my first problem was the enrichment valve was not seating properly even though I could see nothing wrong
At least now its a lot nicer to tide
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: