Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR 200 ENGINE MOUNTS HELP NEEDED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankclock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: SDR 200 ENGINE MOUNTS HELP NEEDED Reply with quote

After owning my SDR for close on a year all the little issues seem to have been overcome
So I thought I would look at getting my spare SRD together rather than it being in peices
The chances of a missing fuel tank & seat turning up locally are never likely to happen so a Yamaha SRX 250 tank is being adapted to fit & a TZ yamaha will be the seat
BUT on inspecting the engine mounts they are worn too badly to be used
Can anyone give me hints on replacing these from a local bearing/ isolastic bush supplier or do I make some nylon bushes
As this bike is very unlikely to be used often I dont want to spend more money than its ever going to be worth
As yet I have not looked inside the engine other than strarting it when I first got it
any help on mounting the engine would be great
Thanks
James P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

As you know, the rubber "Silentblocs" used in the front engine mount assembly have a square section inner portion - I've not seen such an item for sale in my searches for "normal" Silentblocs.

As you may also know, Yasuhiro Tanaka at SDR200.com sells a reproduction front engine mounting assembly which is more substantial than the original...but not cheap (http://www.sdr200.com/?pid=114178968).
However, it looks as if that assembly still uses the Silentbloc with the square section inner, so (assuming he doesn't use secondhand ones) these must still be available from somewhere.

If you can't locate the correct Silentbloc new, your best (cheapest) option would likely be to keep an eye on Yahoo Auctions for a secondhand engine mount assembly in the hope that it will be better than yours.

Regards,
James
frankclock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Engine mounts Reply with quote

James
Thanks yet again
My main concern were the rear engine mounts which were in a very poor state
I removed the original rubbers & replaced them with HQ Holden top rear shock rubbers which seem to be fine
The front don't seem to be too bad unfortunately a front engine mount bolt was missing so a new square one was made
The motor is in the frame & the rebuild is on the way I purchased a Yamaha SRX 250 tank from Steve as well as a racing seat these are now fitted
I am only putting the bike together so I can test ride it before deciding what to do with it
I'll keep you posted
James P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you put up some photos of the bike when finished Frank!

For rear engine mount replacement, I bought one of these kits a few years ago:
http://www.sdr200.com/?pid=10743923
However, I have since found that I can make up my own kit using Yamaha shock absorber Silentblocs 1YW-22216-00. If you shorten the inner bush portion on one side of each Silentbloc, then machine up a suitable centre bush/spacer from 16mm mild steel round bar, you effectively end up with something almost identical to the SDR200.com kit but cheaper (especially if you can do the lathe work yourself).
As the 1YW Silentblocs are somewhat stiffer than the original SDR engine mounts, it is debatable whether you need the extra "rubberised washer" on one side.

Regards,
James
frankclock

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: my bitsa sdr Reply with quote

thanks again James for the info

Due to a few days away the bike has not yet been ridden but hopefully this weekend

One thing I have wondered about is the SDR engine has the been derived from another Yamaha bike, scooter etc??
it seems odd that this would be made specifically for 1 model alone but I have never seen another model mentioned

Can anyone put any info to my querey ?
James P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

As far as I can tell, the SDR engine is a mixture of TZR125 (2RH) and early DT200R (37F, cylinder reed induction). It seems as if Yamaha kept the TZR125 layout and enlarged the crankcase using the dimensions of the DT200R. I think that the TZR125 engine casing will fit the SDR frame (possibly without modification - can anyone confirm?).

The SDR engine went on to be used as the basis for the later DT200R (3ET) and also the DT200WR (3XP) and WR200 (4BF). There is also a VR150 model (made in Thailand) which uses the same engine layout I think. I have an idea that the TZM150 engine is also the same or very similar.

While the various subsequent DT/WR crankcases are different, just about all of the internals will fit the SDR. However, the 3XP model introduced a larger cylinder spigot and a clutch operating mechanism on the cover (instead of in the main casing). The 4BF model engine is basically the same as 3XP, but with different gear ratios and no oil pump.

Regards,
James
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't get that sort of in-depth information off Facebook, this is why this site is spot on.

Well done James Dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: