Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

AR 80 Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tyres are on the way, cheep and cheerful - about 50 Euro for the pair - one of the great things about the little bike is the little prices

Couldn't agree more Yamfan. The last time I bought a 120/180 combo it cost me the best part of 180 plus fitting.........

I've just priced up some tyres for my Kc100 & they come to 33 but I'll have to fit them myself, ooh the hardship Laughing

Your Ar is looking sweet fella, envious of the snap-on tool chests Cool
yamfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool boxes were picked up over the years, when the prices were right. I have one of them 20 years now.

Two of them belonged to a friend who sold them to move to Australia.
I bought one the first time he went and the other the second time he went Surprised

The clutch lever repair, a press fit brass bush to the lever and then a new pivot slieve, which was missing. a new lever is six quid, but I am broke and can fix it - so i did.

I disassembled the switch gear, it was pretty nasty, with alot of corrosion. cleaned it up and painted them. I masked off the original decals. They are worn but better than none.

I had to scrape some of the paint off the handlebar, as the kill switch earths through the switch body and then the handlebar.

More updates soon
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The clutch lever repair, a press fit brass bush to the lever and then a new pivot slieve, which was missing. a new lever is six quid, but I am broke and can fix it - so i did.

Thumbs Up

Brilliant, properly impressed. This sums up motorcycle ownership in one sentence.

Keep up the good work yamfan Cool
yamfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments, it keeps the show on the road and hopefully will spur others on to get their bikes up and running.

I tried to preempt sods law during the week, by fitting the bodged exhaust I have. The reasoning was the autojumble that was coming up - surely if I fitted it the day before I would find a new one and have to take the old one off again?

No such luck, but I did find an Indicator stem at the bottom of a big box of broken indicators, only 3 more to go now.
Got a top end gasket set too - on special offer due to lack of demand Laughing

I stripped an old loom for the correct colour wires and end connections.
This was for the headlight bulb holders which were the wrong fittings and colours. - soldered in and now it all matches up. Had to replace the horn wires too.

Also got the rear brake light switch fixed, it didnt work but looked good. with good wires and connectors. Took it apart and cleaned up the contacts which had gone furry, popped it back together and all good.

only spare wires I have now are for the indicators and front brake light switch. The mess of wires have been tamed at last.
yamfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress

Did you notice it's at 1200 rpm? it's running Very Happy

The tyre fitting went fine for the front wheel - I was able to do it by hand. The rear one was a little harder. It would not seat fully all the way around - so it took a couple of inflations and adjustments to get it acceptable. Happy enough with the tyres - they look right with the correct tread pattern.

After the exhaust was fitted, I fitted a temporary fuel supply. A little premix later (to bleed the oil pump) and it fired up easily.

The only bad thing is the franken exhaust is ear splitting - just too loud to use. I took it for a little spin and it seems nippy but I think the clutch is dragging and also slipping Confused
It was too noisy to test so I will return to this later.

The bodywork will be a seperate mini project at a later time, It is letting the bike down now but I wanted to get the bike together, running and useable and it's getting there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: