Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

sdr200 brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: sdr200 brakes Reply with quote

in process of rebuilding my sdr
soon to do brakes , i see a common swap are tzr250 3ma callipers with adaptor plate . are they any better than standard caliper thats been fully refurbed, apposed to cost of second hand that will prob need a refurb tzr ones
allso anyone know where i can find toruqe settings i dont read japanese as in manuals i have
cheers
2TV owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Hi Marky Boy,

most on here that have an SDR have changed/adapted the front brake on their SDr as they are not very good as standard. Especially as most on here will be a tad heavier than your standard Japanese rider.
have a look at some of the posts, there is some excellent info. Personally i have retained my standard disc and opted to fit a caliper from a triumph triple which mounts on the standard holes and the pads make full contact with the disc. The caliper was a new old stock purchase complete with new pads and is a 4 piston set up. I had to change the master cylinder to match it and can report the front brake is now much better.

Regards

Justin
marky boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

cheers for info depends on what you call a typical Japanese
im no sumo wrestler lol 5`8 10st and i just fit on it
and model triumph triple theres lots out there and aint bad price
2TV owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: brake Reply with quote

If you measure your centres on the fork stanchion or old caliper and just check with sellers of the triple calipers to see if they match. Can't remember how i came across a Triumph caliper fitting but i think they are all the same as the Yamaha fittings
andy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done 2 track days on my SDR std brakes were ok.
James P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I think that the Triumph caliper Justin mentions is exactly the same as the Yamaha 3LN/3MA/3XC/3XV (and possibly others) caliper - it just has the Triumph logo cast onto it.

If you have a limited budget, you may just like to try all standard parts first (but make sure they are in good working order - recondition if required). If you think that you need improvement, you could fit some softer pads.

The cost goes up as you fit non-standard parts, such as:

A different caliper may require a different master cylinder
A larger disc will probably require a caliper adaptor
Some people have just replaced the front end complete (e.g. with one from a TZR250 1KT/2MA)

The best solution for you will depend on what you want or need...and on the time, trouble and money you can afford to spend on it.

For my SDR front brake, I already had nearly all the parts for the conversion (or so I thought...the 1KT front disc turned out to be a less-than-ideal fit, so I ended up buying a different disc). I never rode my SDR with a standard front brake, so I can't comment to a great extent. However, I am prepared for the possibility that I may have found the standard set-up adequate!

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on with it Cool .

Regards,
James
yamfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice above

A fresh set of pads can make a big difference to a bike, SDR are fairly light too.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Triumph caliper did make a difference to the braking, I never changed the pads in the original set up and don't know how long they had been in there. I did have to change the master cylinder to match the caliper. My Triumph caliper was chosen as it was NOS with new pads for about £36 off Ebay. Couldn't really say no!
marky boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

well I just rebuilt rear caliper new seals and pads just need set of braided hoses , only trouble front pistons have been mullered by some rising sun monkey, their £40 a set with seals
hence do I go good second hand 4 pot . hummm Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: