Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

KR-1 project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: KR-1 project Reply with quote

Thought i'd stick this on here as it seems a bit slow lately. Just copied from the KR forum so it's been a while since it was first started, and few have seen it before probably.

Hi, going to be havings a go at this over the next few months, bought it quite cheaply as it is seized, but had a really nice C3 fairing/exhausts etc fitted, and also 1s parts as can be seen. Depending on what the engine reveals, it might end up a breaker.

Why would the engine lock the back wheel with it in gear and clutch lever in, does that point to the gearbox? Did poke my finger in the exhaust ports, and couldn't feel any mashed pistons, big ends seized???

Last edited by SP_BOTT on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as easy as expected...
engine out

[url=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/lc-rustbucket/media/Kr1-seized/P1090024_zpsa6822ef6.jpg.html]

As you can see, both cylinders full of oil/water etc, it was the LH big end that was solid although other side not much better Smile

Is it worth sending this off for a rebuild? or chances of getting a S/H crank in useable condition? I'm assuming everything will be k###ed on this crank and will cost more than a quick bearing change on a used one??

Anyone got one for sale? are they hard to get hold of?
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to hand paint the frame, as it was badly chipped, dented in a few places, and powdercoating wouldn't hide any of the damage, it's not mint, but much more presentable. top yoke finish replicated, forks replaced with some better ones I had, bottoms were factory finished with cheapo green scourers.

Awaiting a rear tyre, and then I'll have a rolling chassis to move about, got a cheapo shock on another KR, (can't remember the make) stripped it down, it had no leaks, so repainted the spring, cleaned and assembled.

SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well two years later, been doing stuff on and off, got several more projects on the go too, and little room to throw stuff around, so it's been at the back of the shed.

Bagged a JMC arm from fleabay, which fitted fairly easily, but needed a professional polish as it was a bit manky. Futted a new tyre, and eventually has a rolling chassis. Also fitted one of the fleabay rear discs.

Then refubed all the calipers, with new seals and paint.

Got the engine back together, after giving it a clean and paint

KIPS arms and joints were totally worn so got some cheapo alloy items from an RC car, and had to make a stainless arm as one broke on disassembly.

Engine in with nearly all re-zinced bolts/kickstart etc. Headlight brackets ready to fit a round headlight rather than the original square unit.

That's just about up to date now, but it's always easier to work on once you can move it around the shed, or outside.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking better ! Very Happy

Thanks for posting, it has gone a bit quiet on here lately. Thumbs Up

So, everyone else, tell us what you're up to with your own projects. Don't worry if it hasn't been touched for years, we've probably forgotten about it anyway... Laughing
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes don't know why it's so quiet, just found the other pics, as to how it looks now.

Done a few more bits to the bike now, swapped the shock and fitted a nice R6 one, not fitting an airbox, so no need to worry about modifying that either. Also after a bit of a faff, finally got it running. Now to see if photobucket is working again......

Bought a cheap LED headlight, and got a small flyscreen to try and protect the wiring etc, on the back of the clocks, need to finalise some sort of paint scheme now.

Howie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thought i'd stick this on here as it seems a bit slow lately. Just copied from the KR forum so it's been a while since it was first started, and few have seen it before probably.

You have inspired me to get my Kr1s project out, also last seen on the Kr forum!

I think I rebuilt the engine oooh a few years ago?! 1 new mitaka & 1 used Kawasaki piston (doing it on the cheap Embarassed ) Anyhow after sitting doing nothing for a few years, I had little hope it would fire up, 4 kicks later bingo...........

Top stuff SP, I'ld best be on Thumbs Up
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great transformation. Like the black frame Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: