Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Coronavirus lockdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Coronavirus lockdown Reply with quote

Everyone's been affected by this, one way or another. Strange times indeed. Things are gonna be different for a while longer, maybe forever in some cases, and other aspects of life will slowly get back to normal. Hope you're all doing OK.

We vaguely expected traffic to increase on here, seeing as a lot of people have got nothing better to do, but it's been even more dead than usual ! So feel free to tell us what you've been up to.

Furloughed or working harder than normal ? Going stir-crazy or enjoying a bit of downtime ? Missing friends and family but not as much as you're missing the pub ? Finally got round to sorting out all that junk in the attic, or just got distracted by your stash of old bike mags ?

Smile
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work from home anyway, as does the missus, so in that respect it's been no different. We're grateful that we managed to move house last year - it would be a nightmare to be in that position now, and we'd definitely have gone berserk if we'd still been in the old place. Got plenty of space and quiet here, which is nice.

It's crap not being able to see my folks, but I'm pretty antisocial anyway and I don't have any friends. Up Yours My other half is missing seeing hers though, and has also had a couple of booked holidays cancelled.

We're missing out on loads of gigs and a few other events we had lined up, but we don't really go out to the pub or restaurants anyway. We're definitely not missing going shopping - I could do with a few things from B&Q but I saw the queues last week and I'll be avoiding that for the foreseeable future. The pandemic has not particularly affected my natural aversion to other people.

It's been almost a year since I last went out on a bike. Nothing to do with lockdown really, I have very little time off work and it just seems to get spent bloody gardening these days. I've done some garage tidying but not otherwise touched the bikes. Wish the same was true of the strimmers, hedgecutters and lawnmowers... Bang Head

Hope everyone else is staying healthy and sane. Love
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We vaguely expected traffic to increase on here

I think if anything I've been busier than before the virus. Not paid work wise but just getting the extension done (it's only taken 8 years, so far).

One week into lockdown my wife managed to chop part of her finger off adjusting the cut height on our lawn mower, still haven't figured out how she did that but happy to say all is good, many thanks to the NHS.

I then managed to snap a tendon in my right ankle Doh ! while emptying the grass bag from the same mower (the mower from Hell).

However on a positive note, I have re-covered the Ns125 seat, ordered a new after market screen (still hasn't arrived but we must be patient), half way through painting my Kr1 fairings, got a box of Kr1 decals staring at me as I write, which I'm dreading applying, any suggestions will be more than welcome. AND I have decided to apply for a v5 for my KE175.

Other than that it's been a bit boring of late Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
got a box of Kr1 decals staring at me as I write, which I'm dreading applying, any suggestions will be more than welcome

Remember waterslide transfers, when you made that Airfix Spitfire as a young lad ? Same technique works for 'normal' stickers. You'd think getting them wet would ruin them, but it's actually the key to success.

Get a bowl of clean cold water, add one drop of Fairy Liquid (other brands of washing-up liquid are available). If possible, get a spray bottle full of the same stuff too. Make sure the panel you're applying it to is perfectly clean, and wet it using the bottle.

Practice first with one you don't particularly care about, if you can.

Peel the backing off the sticker, dunk it in the bowl, apply it carefully to the panel. You now have time to slide it around to get the position spot-on. Hold it still, and smooth any bubbles out using a plastic card or a sponge. They will all come out, but it may take time. Be patient. Once stuck, carefully peel the front protective sheet off (assuming they're pukka 3-layer decals).

For large decals, or those that sit on compound curves, it's possible you'll need to cut it, but I've always managed without, through patient repeated rubbing to get all the bubbles out.

Repeat until finished, have a beer. Very Happy
Howie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Remember waterslide transfers, when you made that Airfix Spitfire as a young lad

Yep, always buggered them up Embarassed

Many thanks for the advice SB, can I sue you if it goes horribly wrong? Laughing

Obviously joking, many thanks for the advice fella, I will let you all know how I get on.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're back in Lockdown 2.0.

2020 has been a write-off in terms of most shows and events. Hopefully we can just hibernate through Winter now and keep our fingers crossed that things may start to improve by the time Spring is here. Pray

Has anything good come out of lockdown ? Finally managed to finish that project you've been ignoring for years ? Found your missing 10mm socket, or sorted all your nuts & bolts into size order ?

Most importantly - Howie, did you get those decals applied ? Green Grin
R1Zman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: What does the future hold? Reply with quote

Still not much happening then? I guess it could have gone 2 ways - either we all feel the need, following covid, to once again enjoy the things that float our boats & we're chomping at the bit to get out there & stick 2 fingers up to Greta Thurnberg in a haze of 2T fumes. Or, we've all had to refocus on what's important in life, like if we have jobs, & if we have confidence in the future.
I thought I was in the first category, & having sold my R1Z a few years ago I recently decided I wanted another & could afford one to sit in the garage, just for special days when I don't want to ride my main bike. However seeing that there are only 2 on ebay & both are £6k or thereabouts, i'll have to pass.
We're not getting any younger, & there will be a time when we've relived our youth (that time must be about now - with many riders who started in the 70's/80's now in their late 50's/60's) - & if dealers are struggling for stock & want high-end prices, perhaps the writing is on the wall.
Wherever you find yourselves this summer - make the most of what you have. Just in case China is working on Covid 21........
Salute
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not even looked at my bikes since September. The LC is still taxed and MOT'd but I can't really be arsed to do anything with any of them.

I wish I could say that I'd used the enforced downtime to tick off the endless list of jobs that needs doing, but I haven't.

Can't see that the gradual removal of lockdown/restrictions will have any effect on me to be honest. Most days I'm just about keeping my head above water, and I don't need any more stuff to deal with or worry about.
RG(paul)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone...

Its annoying for me... i fly alot....

My parents live in southwest france in a very quiet village....
Motorbikes in FRANCE dont ever get MOT'ed...
All you do is buy the bike and insure it...
No one ever checks is over...
They only made it law to fit number plates on MOPED's a couple of years ago..
So i fly there twice a year...

Then in january we all meet up in southern spain... A place called fuengirola..
The weather there is so mild in january....
All the restaurants menus are in english...
Its a great place to go to for a bit of warm sunshine...

Take care people
paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: