Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

GT200 X5 Dual Sport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pezz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: GT200 X5 Dual Sport Reply with quote

Suzuki GT200 X5 Dual Sport

When coin is a bit tight and time is abundant, one has to adjust accordingly. Time for another labour intensive build project. Not necessasarily a new idea as it was a long time in my minds workshop. Laying awake in bed at night engineering every last idea.

I decided to start a new thread for this build. And not clutter the RV125 thread I already have here.

My next Scrapheap Adventure Ride is in October 2020 so I ahd better get moving. :O

My currently thinking is it will be about 6 months start to finish. If I dont take into account the purchase of the X5 motor off ebay May 2018. Very Happy

I was trying to put this engine into Reg my RV125 Scrapheap bike. . . . but it wouldnt fit without substantial mods. I wasnt keen on starting the whole RV125 re-enineering process once again.

I liked Reg just the way he was.

I had thought about puting the motor into a PE250 frame at one stage but at the time the cost would have been more than my bank account could afford.

The engine sat in my shed for 8 months and a mate was 'interested' in it so a deal was struck. It ended up in his shed and without a project for it, now he was not as keen, wanting to sell it . . . . . . .

I liked the idea of an electric start two stroke with oil injection. I have started builds with just a frame, and just a motor, however it requires much more work to get everything working right. I located a GT200X5 frame on gumtree and decided I would buy the motor back. Rolling Eyes

The frame was in Queensland, about 1,000k's from home, so I went for a drive and collected the frame, an airbox, swingarm and centre stand for a very fair price. On the way back I diverted west about 400k's and picked up the DR200 Ag donor bike. 2,300k's in 2 days with my 14yo daughter riding shotgun

Once home I thought about fitting up the DR600 tank i have tried on a number of bikes which didnt suit any of them. (See PE photo above) so its going to another Scrapper for his DR500.

Here it is with the engine sittng in the frame. It has a set of 41mm Marzocchi forks of a Husqvarna but they are way too long.

So where to from here. . . . . . first thing the swingarm will get about 110mm inserted and will run JBS PE175 rear shocks which are 400mm. Stock X5 shocks are 300mm.

It will definitely be a dual sport X5. I harvest a few parts off that the DR200 Ag bike. Front end. rear wheel, Headlight, wiring harness switch gear etc. I will run 21" front and 18" rear. Both the DR200 and the X5 run 520 chain.

Syling wise I initially liked the Suzuki PE's but will probably go a little more classic and make alloy tank, sidecovers, ducktail and some custom expansion chambers. TS185 instruments, lifted off Reg. I have to make a custom seat and racks. maybe an alloy flyscreen too.

More to come Very Happy

Spotted this T500 on line and must say I like its styling

Howie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've said before Pezz but your builds are brilliant Thumbs Up
Pezz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Howie Hiya !

Im currently looking at a battery box. There is one in Germany for $62 delivered to Oz. Bit of a no brainer really as I couldn't make one for that.

I found a good airbox when I purchased the frame. Only issue was the rubber boots that go on the Carbs were missing.

I will either turn up some alloy adapters or plastic print them. Then glue them to the airbox.

I may have found a deal on another X5 motor in need of pistons, along with some other X5 parts. If I can get a good deal it may end up being a big bore X5 development motor Thumbs Up
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've said before Pezz but your builds are brilliant Thumbs Up

Yeah, we love these, thanks for taking the time to put them on here. Not Worthy
Pezz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Very Happy

Well time to start working on the DR200 fork conversion. I may get a little technical here so apologies in advance

GT200 Head length 163mm top to bottom
Upper OD 45mm Recessed 6.5 mm say 7mm
Lower OD 48mm Recessed 12 mm

DR200 Head Bearing Length 180mm
Upper: 25 x 47 x 15
Lower: 30 x 55 x 17

DR head 180mm minus 32mm (2 bearing widths) = 148mm between bearings
X5 head 163mm minus 19mm (2 bearing widths) = 144mm couple of spacer washers and voila

So with 4mm in the bearing seat diference and 4mm in bearing sizes so 8mm to play with shimming.

These are a bit rough until I can strip the donor front end off the DR200 but by my rough calculations i need:

Top 25 x 45 x 15
Bottom 30 x 48 x 17

If ever you are looking at weird bearing sizes just straight to Pyramid parts. Punch in your sizes and they usually have a bearing to suit.

https://pyramid-parts.com/products/taper-roller-bearing-30x48x15

Spent ages looking through SKF . . . . without much joy

Pyramid had 30x48x15 and 25x45x12 which makes it much easier to convert Wink
Pezz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering head bearings are on their way from the UK.
Great service from Pyramid parts.

Box arrived yesterday from Germany with the eBay battery box.
That was quick, as sometimes parcels out of Europe can hang for weeks.
Its pretty tidy and now I can work on the sidecover and oil tank design.

I've never been a fan of pod filters and was happy to find an airbox.
Just had a look inside and the filter carrieris there and just need a filter element.
I still need to work out which way I will adapt this to fit the carbs.

Pezz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with all this worldwide silliness going on, I had better occupy myself

With the DR200 AKA 'The Victim' up on the bike lift I took some measurements off the swingarm.

DR200 countershaft to rear axle 650mm
(90mm to swing arm pivot)

X5 approx 570mm
(130mm to swing arm pivot)

Im going to add 100mm to the X5 swingarm

Started to design up an oil tank however I will have to rethink this once I have the rolling chassis as I will have plenty of variables to consider.

Also have to make the inlet spiggots from the airbox to the carbs.

Pezz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well using an old Beck's beer case I decided to do a mockup of the right hand sidecover Cheers

Like the basic shape but will add a few creases along the moiddel to break up the slab sidedness

Best thing is the sidecovers are mirrored so I can simply reverse the template to make the right hand side.

I will also taper the bottom edge back towards the frame

[/img]
Pezz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little update on the X5 build

Suzuki Australia are very slow with backordering parts from Japan and looking at 12 weeks . . . .

Had a great chat to Paul Rooney this week. Paul is a two stroke genius. Before he became an Airhead genius

He suggested fitting reed blocks to this piston port engine, With some fettling of the piston,
new carbs and properly designed chambers could get over 45HP.

Im liking this idea, in a 130kg chassis.

I was initially going to build a stocker and then with my second engine build a big bang motor.

As the cost of twin chambers is exxy and would be different to each tune of the engine
Im now going for the motor upgrades as well with tuned chambers. Will be needing a new airbox now too . . . .

Also here are a few pics of the custom alloy PE style tank Im hoping for, just stretched to be a little longer and bigger.

Ian, who is making the chambers is also making the fuel tank

DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these updates, keep 'em coming ! Thumbs Up
Pezz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a bit slow downunder . . .

Also with having a bit of a design creep. . . . . .

finding suitable Reed blocks, and doing that, the chambers will need a redesign too. Oh and different carbs and airbox and . . . and . . . and. . . .

Additionally the Queenssland Government have closed the border between NSW due to the Scamdemic.

Hoping to be able to get the bike up there in a month or so.

Thems the breaks. . . . .
Cal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic absolutely epic.

👍👍👍👍👎
Pezz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still collecting bits for this build. Been buying some stuff while it is still available from Suzuki.

Also weighing up whether to install reed valves to get a bit more oomph out of it. Think i will build it stock initially as I have the airbox and carbs ready to go.

I picked un another engine in parts and will most likely build a 40HP engine out of that.

Got my X5 clocks rebuilt and ready to go too.

Tried the TS fuel tank as well as an interim until the alloy tank is completed

Pezz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing how a scratch drawing can keep inspiring one on with a build . . .

So last night I set about removing the old steering head bearings.
Thought about a simple re-grease as I reckon they were servicable. . . but decided to splurge

A bit of cutting and off the lower race came, with the assistance of a large hammer and cold chisel

I will have to cut the steering stops off the lower triple as they only allow turning to the left

Thought I would also check the 21" front wheel clearance

Then one thing led to another and fitted the rear wheel, which will need some spacers made.

Definitely needs an extension

Just sat the TS tank and TF seat on there . . . . I want alloy tank etc so these are just for a quick look

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: