Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My SDR...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mboddy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen P5 but never P3.
evster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally registered my SDR200 in NSW.

For anyone looking to import and register an SDR in NSW Australia, you will likely need the following before applying for rego at your local RMS branch:

Import Approval document (mine was supplied with the bike from the QLD importer/dealer)
Weighbridge ticket (confirming the bike is ~120kg). The automotive engineer asked for this to be done before bringing the bike to his office.
Engineering Certificate and any parts* fitted that the engineer wants replaced to ensure compliance with Australian Design Rules
Blue Slip
CTP Green Slip
Sales invoice (supplied with the bike from the QLD importer/dealer)

*To satisfy the engineer I had to source the following:

Brake reservoir caps with english language warnings written on them (use DOT4 oil, "Clean filler cap before removing..." etc.)

Note the rear reservoir cap did not have english text for the "clean filler cap" warning so I sourced an automotive label with the right text off eBay and cut and stuck the label on the frame next to the reservoir. The reservoir cap part numbers were sourced from SDR200.com and ordered through my local Yamaha dealer.

New brake lines with the correct label confirming compliance with JASO/SAE/ADR standards. I sourced HEL braided lines from a supplier on eBay.

Other engineers may be less pedantic in their sign-off and obviously items may vary depending on the condition of the bike you buy.

Total cost excluding the bike was around $1,300.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, I thought this info would be useful to note without warranting a new one. Happy to delete/move if need be.
SDR200
KR-1S
YZ125
Some four strokes
James P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evster wrote:
Apologies for hijacking the thread, I thought this info would be useful to note without warranting a new one. Happy to delete/move if need be.

Cool No need to apologise on my account Evan - its all good useful info!

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have relocated all of the photos after Photof***-it made the previous ones go all blurry Evil or Very Mad .

Regards,
James
Richie rich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James P wrote:
I have a sketch with dimensions of the "third" engine mount kit I made up. If this is of interest to anyone, please let me have your e-mail address by PM and I'll scan the sketch and send it.

Concerning the upper rear engine mounting bushes; I have so far been unable to discover the origin of the "Silentbloc" bushes supplied by SDR200.com as part of its replacement kit. However, I have found Yamaha Part No.1YW-22216-00 (a rear shock absorber bush I think) which is very similar and will work with a small modification. In similar manner to the SDR200.com kit, it is necessary to manufacture a special centre spacer for use with the 1YW bushes. Again, I have a sketch with dimensions which I can send on request.
These 1YW bushes and also those supplied with the SDR200.com kit are a fair bit stiffer than the original SDR bushes. It is therefore debatable whether the metal/rubber "shim" is required at all (I did read something on a Japanese web-site which advised against using the metal/rubber shim with the SDR200.com kit). I made some special plastic shims (as mentioned in my info and shown in the associated photos), but am wondering whether they are overkill... Confused

Regards,
James

Hi James, I've sent you a PM on this, but thought I'd post a reply also. I'm a new SDR owner having admired them for many years. I'm in Melbourne, but my bike came from Sydney and was on the road there for a few years. It's in decent condition and the previous owner added a few good extras (brake upgrade / jackal pipe / YSS shock), but had no idea about the engine mount issues and subsequently when I checked, both front & rear are knackered.

I've removed the engine and am looking at options for resolving the issue that don't involve spending $500 for the kits from Japan. I read your post about about the 1YW shock bushes and I'm keen to know more. From my research these suggested they were also used on RD350LC shocks, but a mate said they use a M12 bolt and the SDR engine mount bolt is a M8.

Yamaha still have these bushes available at $30 a piece, so it I can make them work then that would be great.

Appreciate any advice you might be able to give (if you're still around on this site).

Cheers, Richard.

PS. Your SDR is a beauty!
James P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I've replied to you in detail by PM.

For yours and everyone else's benefit; the 1YW Silentbloc does have a 12mm bore, but this is taken care of by the special centre spacer used to adapt it to the SDR engine casing, such that the SDR's M8 engine mounting bolt is still employed.

Please let us see a couple of photos of your bike!

Regards,
James
Richie rich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James P wrote:
Richard,

I've replied to you in detail by PM.

For yours and everyone else's benefit; the 1YW Silentbloc does have a 12mm bore, but this is taken care of by the special centre spacer used to adapt it to the SDR engine casing, such that the SDR's M8 engine mounting bolt is still employed.

Please let us see a couple of photos of your bike!

Regards,
James

Thank you James! PM received and responded to. Would love to post a photo but haven't figured out how to do that since photobucket started charging $$ years ago.

It looks very similar to your SDR, except no where near as nice... Rolling Eyes
James P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has covered a little over 3000km so far without any real bother. The only trouble worth mentioning was a broken bracket on the Jackal exhaust in December 2019.
I was out riding one Sunday and I heard something hit the bike at around foot-rest-level on the right-hand side. I presumed that a stone had been kicked up by the front tyre and thought nothing more of it until I got home and found the exhaust hanging off Sad .

The mounting bracket was broken on both sides and a small piece of it was missing. I can only assume that whatever had hit the bracket had started a crack which had led to complete breakage by the time the ride was over.

I pondered the possibility of simply welding the original bracket back together, but decided to make a new one instead. I first made a cardboard template and cut the shapes out of some flat sheet.

I ground off the remainder of the original bracket and placed the new one in position.

I was a bit hesitant to post these photos showcasing my poor-quality welding Embarassed . However, in my defence, this was done nearly three years ago and the repair has proved structurally sound. Also, it wasn't/isn't as noticeable after repainting the exhaust. Since then, my welding skills have improved...somewhat Confused .

Regards,
James
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: