Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Newbie (SDR)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggytee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Newbie (SDR) Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

First post, and nothing to share at the moment as my bike is still sitting in Japan waiting for a container back to the UK.

I've read some really informative information on the forum - My own technical knowledge on bikes is not great and certainly not 2 strokes (it'll be my first one since 1987 Laughing )

James
waggytee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, the bike is black and if the clocks are correct (?) has only done 1100km's and is still on the original tyres ! - it's coming from a reputable dealer (RMD Motors) so hopefully no suprises.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, and Welcome. Very Happy

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. This forum is pretty quiet these days, and without people like you posting interesting content it will die.

There's a few people on here with SDR experience (which is probably how you found us) so hopefully they can help.

Keep the updates coming, and thanks for joining us.

Cheers, Admin. Cheers
waggytee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

I can't comit to posting 'interesting content' Laughing but will share what I can when my bike arrives.

In the meantime, here's a link to the bike - not a lot to see as it should be standard.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/72zyhbinl7h5ooq/1.jpg?raw=1[/img]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72zyhbinl7h5ooq/1.jpg?raw=1

PS. I'll have to work out why I can't display images as I thought the first address above would work?
waggytee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike still in Japan and not likely to be shipped until the end of February, then another 2 months(?) to get to the UK and forward road transfer - this gives me far too much time to wait so thought I'd buy an original Workshop manual to at least see what I'm getting.

JDM bike so the manual is in the native language - anyone good at Japanese Laughing
waggytee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has arrived, 7 months after buying it.

The tank paint has bubbled for some reason however that was described in the advert - apart from that, all looks good so far - new battery on charge and waiting for some fresh oil to arrive [Motul 710] so will hopefully start it later today

Just sourced some correct size tank decals from Japan so have ordere those, and I believe the paint colour is actually the same as the 1987 Yamaha Virago which was available in the UK and called 'greenish black' - a 2-stage pearl plus laquer, and believe I can get that from RS Paints.

Let's see if the photo links work........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xml46rqjvjmc0c/Left.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlgtt2bsaxtsy02/Right.jpg?raw=1
R1Zman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice - not much to do to get it perfect - I bet even I couldn't mess that one up! Rolling Eyes
waggytee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Cheers R1Zman)

Battery connected, oil feed checked, quite a few kicks to bring the fuel through (shipped dry) and away it goes.....

Great sound !!! - instant nostalia of being 16 again.

I've had my dating letter through from the VJMC now so just an MOT and apply for a V5 and I'll be away
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a really nice example, worth the wait I'd imagine.
My tank has bubbled as well, thought it was just a bad paint job and someone had let moisture get to it.
waggytee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies - it's a shame about the tank bubbling, but it's clean inside so hopefully relatively easy to resolve once I find somebody to spray it.

Just had some Dunlop Sportmax Q-Lite tyres delivered - I went with the 90 front but went down to a 100 on the rear as they didn't do the 110 and didn't want a 120.

I've added a dinky little tacho - Daytona Velona 48mm - it's a shame that it's only a 9k but the next range up is 15k so just programming the shift light to 8.5 - 9 should do the job until I get my ear in. On a normal sized bike it'd look stupidly small, however somehow looks proportionate on the SDR.

Anyway, MOT booked for the weekend hopefully not too long to wait.
waggytee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed the MOT with no advisories, some new rubber mounted, gearbox oil changed and the new tacho working and mounted - V5 registration application posted off today.

Anyway, the bubbles in the tank paint appear to be small pinholes in the tank allowing fuel getting behind the paint - 730 miles in 36 years so I suppose it's been sitting a lot presumably with crap fuel however strangely the inside of the tank looks free from rust? - so tank, seat cowl and front fender off and waiting until the weekend before the paint stripper and tank repair kit (POR-15) arrives - may as well spend the time waiting for the V5 registration and get everthing stripped, soldered (if needed) and tank lined.

I like to think I'm fairly organised, but note to self - don't keep a running tab on how much money you're spending - ignorance is far better... Laughing
waggytee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank stripped back to bare metal, pin holes opened out and soldered, and the tank liner paint put in - 4 days of drying out and doesn't look too bad.

I know it's a lightweight bike, but flippin heck that tank steel is thin.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: