Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New to me 1987 SDR 200
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: New to me 1987 SDR 200 Reply with quote

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb2fqasnssbamln/SDR200.jpeg?dl=0[/img]

Here it is - I am looking forward to discussing with the you folks on this board.

I am in the USA
1985 Yamaha RZ350 (mild mod/blue)
1987 Yamaha SDR200
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb2fqasnssbamln/SDR200.jpeg?raw=1

Looks like a nice bike, is it all standard?
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks for reposting my pic I had followed some old info in trying to post…I will try again with more and yes it’s pretty stock….

I did obtain an extra plastic black fender and trimmed it (I just never like a nice tail having its lines compromised by a not so good llooking big piece of plastic!)

It also has a non stock front caliper and rotor. I may change rotor but I noticed it had 9 holes on a 3 spoke wheel which offers more symettry than the stock one…
1987 Yamaha SDR200
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9z0arwykay1bd9/IMG_2056.JPEG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsdqt0s1piu8bsh/IMG_2057.JPEG?dl=0

Lets see if these work
1987 Yamaha SDR200
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some questions I have for folks:

1) I would like to have more power, the 35hp is pretty good, 40-45 would be perfect for me
a) thinking a jackal exhaust may be a key....my RZ350 gained a lot of power with just pipes, jetting and filter changes nothing else
b) would this be true on SDR?
c) If so what main jet size to use and...
d) can I leave stock airbox alone due to YEIS, or do I need a flitrations change?
If so what filtration wise?

2) If I went another step, the options are
a) more mods to stock engine or
b) DT230 swap - whats entailed?
c) Can one get a bigger dsiplacement DT230 or other motor?

Thks in afvance for your expertise...
1987 Yamaha SDR200
waggytee

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - I'm new to the forum also, but my bike hasn't arrived yet (on a ship but should be in the UK in about 3 or 4 weeks!)

Your bike looks tidy, and I'll be interested in seeing more technical minded peoples response to your enquiry about more power.
R1Zman

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDR looks a great starting point for a special - though it looks a bit over-tyred as these bikes were known for quick & light steering. Especially with the limited power available.

Sadly, I'm not sure if you'll get much advice these days - ever since covid this site has been extremely quiet. It used to be buzzing with activity, & with the lockdown I though there would be lots of projects & restos underway - but it's proved to be the opposite. In the UK most appear to have scratched their 2 stroke itch & moved on - perhaps even given up on bikes. There are some who will always hang on to their collections & are proud of what they have, so I might be wrong, but life in the UK has become very weird since 2020.
Best of luck.
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1Zman wrote:
The SDR looks a great starting point for a special - though it looks a bit over-tyred as these bikes were known for quick & light steering. Especially with the limited power available.

Sadly, I'm not sure if you'll get much advice these days - ever since covid this site has been extremely quiet. It used to be buzzing with activity, & with the lockdown I though there would be lots of projects & restos underway - but it's proved to be the opposite. In the UK most appear to have scratched their 2 stroke itch & moved on - perhaps even given up on bikes. There are some who will always hang on to their collections & are proud of what they have, so I might be wrong, but life in the UK has become very weird since 2020.
Best of luck.

Actually the bike as pictured has stock size 90/80/17 in front and 1 under size 100/80/17 on rear....I have searched the world for a matching set of tires in stock sizes to no avail but bought a front/rear michelin pilot sport 2 90/80/17 for front and a matching front which I will mount backwards on rear 110/70/17....the bike is actually in very nice condition so I was thinking of a second one I have access to as a special....but dont know if I really have room in my group, interest, or spend to have two....I do hope some more people chime in though re mods....forums tend to have more knowledgeable people than Facebook groups and there have been good posts here on SDRs in past....
1987 Yamaha SDR200
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
Lets see if these work

On the dropbox webpage that displays your image, right-click the picture and click 'copy image address'. Then embed that huge complex address within 'img' quotes.

Oh, and welcome, thanks for joining and posting straight away. Very Happy As already said, this forum is pretty dead these days, but it can only be resurrected by people like you posting stuff.

Last edited by DSBBadmin on Tue May 23, 2023 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

When I made that last post, your SDR picture was displayed within the post itself, as you'd want. I checked it later on my phone and it was still visible too. Now it just shows a small icon instead. Bang Head

I've just edited my post and used the address of the other pic and it displays OK again. But I suspect this is temporary.

I think this is specific to Dropbox - I've read that embedding a pic in a post like that causes your quota of available views to be used up more quickly than if people deliberately click on a link instead. Sorry.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1Zman wrote:

Yep, can't argue with that. My life's taken a huge wrong turn with little hope of ever getting it back on track. There are still 12 bikes in the garage - including an SDR - but I haven't touched them for months let alone fired one up or taken one out, and that's not going to change.

(for those that don't know, I'm also the sole Admin on here, this is just me posting with my normal punter hat on)
James P

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
So some questions I have for folks:

1) I would like to have more power, the 35hp is pretty good, 40-45 would be perfect for me
a) thinking a jackal exhaust may be a key....my RZ350 gained a lot of power with just pipes, jetting and filter changes nothing else
b) would this be true on SDR?
c) If so what main jet size to use and...
d) can I leave stock airbox alone due to YEIS, or do I need a flitrations change?
If so what filtration wise?

2) If I went another step, the options are
a) more mods to stock engine or
b) DT230 swap - whats entailed?
c) Can one get a bigger dsiplacement DT230 or other motor?

Thks in afvance for your expertise...

Your bike looks tidy! To provide some possible guidance in your quest for improving performance:

A Jackal pipe should improve on-road performance simply on account of its much lighter weight when compared with the standard pipe. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Jackal - it is a good 'street' pipe. However, I'm not sure that it unleashes much additional performance from the engine - only a direct dyno comparison between the two will tell you that. There were/are pipes made by several other firms for the SDR which offered different characteristics - I don't recall seeing any dyno comparison charts though.
I think that the Jackal pipe is supposed to work with standard carb jetting ...if you keep the intake system standard.
On my own SDR (http://diffrentstrokers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2308), I fitted a K&N filter to a custom-made stub inside the air box. If contemplating modifications to the air intake system, I would strongly recommend converting the carb to TZR Formula-3 specification - it should massively simplify setting-up due to the use of the easily-available 159-series atomiser and the elimination of the main air jet. I swapped the bellmouth casting on my SDR carb for one from a TZR 3XV model to gain a pilot air screw (instead of a pilot air jet), but this is not absolutely necessary for the Formula-3 conversion. If you read all of the entries under my topic, you will find some jetting specifications which have worked for me.
I must confess that I don't know whether any of the modifications I did actually improved the performance, as I didn't ride the bike before rebuilding it! However, I am entirely satisfied with its performance and the fuel consumption is still quite modest.
The only additional modification I might consider is fitting an adjustable power valve controller, but I'm not in any hurry to do so because I like the performance the way it is.

If you want to go further, there are plenty of options...but which may be more trouble than they are worth.
A WR200 Nikasil-plated cylinder will fit the SDR crankcase, but I'm not sure that this modification alone is worth the expense unless you can get the parts cheaply - you would still be limited to 200cc and would likely get better results with a different exhaust and intake system modifications.
The LA Sleeve Co lists a 240cc sleeve for the SDR cylinder, but I think that the power valve can't be used because the bore is too large to accommodate it.
It may be possible to increase the crankshaft stroke by using an eccentric pin, but there isn't much extra space in the housing and its walls seem quite thin.
I have seen a complete DT230 engine transplanted into an SDR frame, but I understand that there are some frame modifications involved. Even then, you would likely have to modify the DT230 engine to get the most benefit from this conversion, including losing some weight by replacing the electric starter motor with the factory kickstart conversion kit.
I vaguely recall someone in France fitting a YZ250 engine to an SDR, but it was necessary to modify the frame. Also, the YZ250 gear ratios may not be ideal for road use...although you may be able to obtain a YZ250X enduro-spec engine (or just its gearbox) to improve that aspect.
I also recall someone in England fitting an RZ350 engine - the possibilities are almost limitless, but I suppose the best result for you will depend on your budget and determination...as well as what you actually want to achieve.

Keep us updated with what you decide to do and how you get on with it!

Regards,
James
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="James P"]
Yellow02Z06 wrote:
So some questions I have for
Your bike looks tidy! To provide some possible guidance in your quest for improving performance:

A Jackal pipe should improve on-road performance simply on account of its much lighter weight when compared with the standard pipe. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Jackal - it is a good 'street' pipe. However, I'm not sure that it unleashes much additional performance from the engine - only a direct dyno comparison between the two will tell you that. There were/are pipes made by several other firms for the SDR which offered different characteristics - I don't recall seeing any dyno comparison charts though.
I think that the Jackal pipe is supposed to work with standard carb jetting ...if you keep the intake system standard. - the possibilities are almost limitless, but I suppose the best result for you will depend on your budget and determination...as well as what you actually want to achieve.

Keep us updated with what you decide to do and how you get on with it!

Regards,
James

James Im glad you chimed in...I saw your posts and studied them...

Well for now i am concentrating on some maintenance items to start...

1) I searched the world for tires in correct sizes and matching front to rear...did not find so went with Pilot Street 2 Michelin in stock size in front and 120/70/18 front tire on rear.
2) I ordered and received the motor mount bushing kit from SDR.com...slightly to my dismay it looks to only replace the bushings at the motor not at the frame, and the frame ones being rubber look like maybe they are more important? Ill need to re-study your posts and meantime will do the ones at the motor, but at first glance they do not seem worn....I will measure them now...

I am thinking that the DT230 motor isnt worth it, and in terms of the Jackal pipe, while I do note the wight of the stock pipe, I think I would spend a chunk on a Jackal or other pipe only if I knew it was good for some more HP...as I was saying I think, on my RZ350, a Toomey pipe and jetting and filtration does improve power by an amazing amount, seemingly....I have other bikes that provide more than the performance I would get to with a 230 even (namely my RZ35O ).

I am at least in the thinking exploring phase thinking about a wild swap of a motor as I do have potential access to another SDR project bike.....but...not sure if that is a priority versus other stuff...
1987 Yamaha SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If considering an engine change for your second project bike, I came across this by chance today: https://aeb-developpement.com/boutique/tdr-125/moteur-250-mxe-adaptable-200wr-200-dtr-125-dtr-tdr-tzr/

I think this is a Chinese copy of the DT230 Lanza engine. There are mentions of 250cc everywhere, but if the bore is 66.8mm and the stroke 64mm, it is still only 224cc. There is also mention of a 280cc kit, but it isn't clear from the blurb exactly how this is achieved (you'd need a 74.5mm piston to get 279cc with the standard stroke). The quoted output of 38hp in standard form seems promising, but comparison with a known quantity (e.g. a standard Japanese DT230) on the same dyno would be necessary to validate the claim.

A quick internet search revealed the same engine cheaper direct from China https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004233296199.html but perhaps the extra cost from AEB comes from that firm dismantling and checking the engines before sending them out...and seemingly fitting standard YZ250 crankshaft bearings, as stated in the blurb. I wonder what is wrong with the bearings fitted in the factory...Rolling Eyes

Again, I'm not sure that the Lanza engine mounting points will allow the engine to slot straight into an SDR frame, but it may be worth investigating.

Regards,
James
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James P wrote:
If considering an engine change for your second project bike, I came across this by chance today: https://aeb-developpement.com/boutique/tdr-125/moteur-250-mxe-adaptable-200wr-200-dtr-125-dtr-tdr-tzr/

I think this is a Chinese copy of the DT230 Lanza engine. There are mentions of 250cc everywhere, but if the bore is 66.8mm and the stroke 64mm, it is still only 224cc. There is also mention of a 280cc kit, but it isn't clear from the blurb exactly how this is achieved (you'd need a 74.5mm piston to get 279cc with the standard stroke). The quoted output of 38hp in standard form seems promising, but comparison with a known quantity (e.g. a standard Japanese DT230) on the same dyno would be necessary to validate the claim.

A quick internet search revealed the same engine cheaper direct from China https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004233296199.html but perhaps the extra cost from AEB comes from that firm dismantling and checking the engines before sending them out...and seemingly fitting standard YZ250 crankshaft bearings, as stated in the blurb. I wonder what is wrong with the bearings fitted in the factory...Rolling Eyes

Again, I'm not sure that the Lanza engine mounting points will allow the engine to slot straight into an SDR frame, but it may be worth investigating.

Regards,
James

Thks James - my "wild" project thought was actually a VINS V-Twin 2 stroke - the type that is in the new Langen - I have inquired if they would sell me one, not sure they will unless I commit to do a whole "production" run, which is unlikely....further, this motors would probaly be too much for the SDR200 frame....maybe would be better in an R1Z frame than an SDR200...in riding the SDR it does seems like it could do more at the upper end of the RPM range and probly tuned overall kind of mildly....so perhaps I will pursue a pipe and other changes or the 230 or just continue to ride and enjoy the thing as is...
1987 Yamaha SDR200
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: