Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR200 2TV
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: SDR200 2TV Reply with quote

It's Mrs StrokerBoy's Fault I'm here.... Wink

The 3XV had gone, I had space in the garage, an envelope full of £20 notes, and I had even managed to fail to get myself organised to go and see a potential SDR200 purchase. I was getting used to the space in the garage where my “Diff’rent Stroker” had been. I’d done a couple of little jobs that I’d been putting off for a while, and then I heard about an SDR being slipped into the only narrow gap that could be found in the StrokerBoy household.

I went to have a look and found that SDRs are even prettier in the flesh than they are in pictures. Doh!

So I hired a van, and Mrs Arlurt and I headed South to see Honkdawillydahonk and his SDR200. Safe in the knowledge that just because I’d hired a van, taken cash, borrowed StrokerBoy’s ramp, straps & hold-down fixture, and driven 250 miles, I didn’t have to buy the bike.

I chatted to “Honk” for over an hour, about the SDR, his half-rebuilt 3XV, and his other projects, and sure enough, I left with an empty envelope and a bike in the back of the van.

So what have I bought? The Registration Document says it's a 1987 Yamaha SDR200 in blue. A shuffle through the paperwork that’s come with the bike tells me I’ve got an SDR200, sold by Fast Line of Preston in 1997, and it's black. In my garage I’ve got a green D-Reg SDR200, looking better than new. I guess they could all be the same bike?

“Honk” has done a nut-and-bolt restoration of the engine and chassis. It is fitted with a beautifully made one-off Martin Johnson expansion chamber and a Lomas end can. I’m told that Martin Johnson has also made some changes to the porting of the over-size 200cc barrel and altered carburetion to suit. The frame and swingarm are finished in 'Chrome' powder coating, rather than the standard Nickel Plate. The engine covers have the same finish. The tank, seat unit and front mud-guard are in British Racing green.

There are some nice touches… Relocated rear brake reservoir, much neater. A TZR125R front brake calliper. And a speedo converted to read in mph.

It has new tyres, discs, chain and sprockets. All of the engine and chassis bearings have been replaced, new brake hoses, seals and pads.

So, all I need to do is get my polish and dusters out, and set up a chair to admire it? Not quite. At the moment the Bike is SORN’d, and the MoT is expired. So first job is the MoT. I’m putting together an MoT pack for it, full size number plate and reflector, mirrors, and a tax disk holder. The exhaust isn’t too loud, so I think I can get away with that one. If there’s trouble I’ve got most of the standard exhaust, modified to take the Lomas end can. I’ve been going to the same garage for my MoTs for long enough, but don’t want to push them to a point where they’re not happy with the bike as presented.

Once it's settled in I'll take a few more photos and see if I can find anything to do other than clean it.

Last edited by arlurt on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an email from Chancellor-of-the-Exchequer-san in Tokyo, thanking me for my efforts to boost the ailing Japanese economy.

I did point out to him that although I let you come see Sara's SDR and also lent you my ramp/clamp/straps to go collect it, at no stage did I actively encourage you or even say that it was a good idea... Rolling Eyes
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that like saying...

Of course I knew he was an alcoholic, but I didn't offer him a drink. I just showed him mine, told him how tasty it was, and leant him a glass...

Don't worry, to paraphrase the 80s anti-drugs TV advert, "So I've bought a few two-stokes, I can handle it."

Anyway, you can't re-create our TZR Humber Bridge photo with just one SDR. Cool

I'm pleased with my new addition and looking forward to showing it off. It's just a shame I can't take any credit for it.
colp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry about not taking any credit, the guy who buys a 10 million pound picture by picasso didn't paint it!
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDR now has mirrors, a new reflector, a traditional tax-disc holder, and a barndoor sized number plate. Must be ready for an MoT then, I wonder if the weather will let me take it this afternoon...

Of course these optional extras don't have to be permanent fixtures. Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've got an MoT, insurance, and a new tax disc, so how's the bike?

It's a long time since I've pushed a bike any distance. Coming back from the MoT it started to splutter so I switched over to Reserve, but it didn't come back on line. I coasted to a stop to have a poke about with it.

The tank was just about dry, which didn't make sense. I pulled the fuel pipe off the carb and sucked on the vacuum pipe to open the valve. No petrol, with the tap in either the Reserve or On positions. blowing back through the pipe showed that it was clear, and that both Reserve and Main had no fuel.

The fuel tap on the SDR is remote from the tank, fed by two pipes, one Main, and one Reserve. I suspect that the pipes are swapped so that running with the tap in the On position actually uses the fuel from the Reserve feed, leaving no reserve fuel when you move the tap to the Reserve position. Ah well, it's an easy fix.

There are two other minor issues. First, it really doesn't run very well at all on part throttle. If it's been stood for some time with fuel in the carb then maybe the minor jets are gummed up. I'll strip the carb and have a look.

Second, I've got a problem with the front brake. There's loads of power when you really pull it on, very progressive, and fairly easy to get the front to the point of locking, But when you brake more modestly it seems to grab at one point on the disk. When you brake at a constant rate, approaching a junction say, the disk starts to whine. I'll have the pads out and check them, and do a run-out check on the front disk to see if I can find out where the problem is.

The good news...

The quality of the fit and finish really is great. The bike attracts admiring comments and glances where ever you go, even if you're pushing it. Embarassed

The way it turns and feels to ride is brilliant, It must be one of the very few bikes that makes the 3XV feel big.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. A few minor niggles to look at, but a chap needs something to play with on the weekend.

Last edited by arlurt on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, haven't pushed one for ages either (or intend too Smile) I always throw a gallon of petrol in after I've had a tank off/cleaned out, as I find the carbs usually pee quite an amount of fuel over the floor a some point before I can get to a station Embarassed

Looks a lovely bike, I was looking to possibly purchase this very machine, but a bit slow on the uptake (think you got in there first TBH) interested to hear an update when it's running again. Will have one myself in the future.
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alurt think i saw you today on the SDR when i was on my reverse cylinder?
James.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

Yes you did. Cool

I guessed it was you, you don't see many TZR's round here.

Hope you had a good run out?

Edit: Did I hear you go through Acaster on Sunday?

Karl.

Last edited by arlurt on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the fuel tank and tap this morning. I set up the tank on a workmate so that I could see what happened with the tap in each of the three positions.

First the easy bit, the Reserve and On pipes are crossed. On the underside of the tank the outlets are marked "ON" and "RES" as you can probably just about see in the picture.

Having got the tap off though, the markings on the tap are more confusing, so using a syringe I held the vacuum valve open and just blew through the pipes to see what was connected to what.

In the ON position, the Brass inlet pipe flows to the outlet, and is controlled by the vacuum valve.

In the RES position, both inlet pipes flow to the outlet, and are controlled by the vacuum valve.

In the PRI position, both inlet pipes flow to the outlet regardless of the vacuum valve state. This was a surprise to me. I would have run PRI from the ON pipe so that if the bike was left in that position and the float valve leaked I'd still have some fuel left to get home.

This might be useful to any of you with the same fuel tap on your Yamaha...
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having got the tank and seat off to have a look at the fuel tap, I thought I’d take a few pictures of what little there is that can’t be seen on an SDR with the bodywork on.

I thought I'd take the carb off to see if there was anything obvious in there that might be affecting the part throttle running of the bike. Who would have thought that on a bike with a frame made of holes joined together with tubes, taking the carb off would be so fiddley? My hands are just too big to work through the holes, and the carb is too big to come out of any of them. I had to take the generator cover off to get the carb out of the frame.

There's nothing I can see. Adam's work on the carb is as meticulous as the rest of the bike. I stripped it anyway and blew through everything with the airline.

Back together, and no better. It's "four-stroking" on steady throttle up to about 70mph. Accelerating, all's well, running as it should.

I wonder if it might be as simple as a needle or jet change? I've got another 28mm Mikuni carb, from the 3XV...

It's just the same with the 3XV carb, fitted with the the SDR jets, emulsion tube, and needle. Maybe have to look at the fuelling.

Last edited by arlurt on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Hi James,

Yes you did. Cool

I guessed it was you, you don't see many TZR's round here.

Hope you had a good run out?

Edit: Did I hear you go through Acaster on Sunday?

Karl.

Yeah went for a quick blast around there today as im playing around with jetting and close to home just in case it decides to nip up Smile
Decided to only do one lap to give the locals a break. Is it loud?
James.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't sound too loud to me. I hope it's behaving itself...?
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a day of work today, and my wife hasn't, so I can play in the garage. Very Happy

I've had a quick look at the front disk, lifting the front end off the ground and spinning the front wheel the front disk does seem to be warped. I can't easily run a DTI on it because of the holes, but I'll have a propper look before I buy another one. I think I'll go for something with a floating rotor, FZR250 or 400 maybe?

I put the standard exhaust on and had a run round the block. The standard pipe has a lot less ring-ding-ding to it, down to weight as much as anything else. Still sounds nice though, thanks to Adam's modification to fit the Lomas silencer.

The Standard and Martin Johnson pipes are quite different shapes.

But the real difference is in the weight.

A saving of almost 2.5Kg between the Martin Johnson pipe and the Standard item.! It does run better on part throttle on the standard pipe, but still not quite right.

I'll have to have a look at fuelling next I guess.

Last edited by arlurt on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi whats the diameter of the front disc? Ive the odd 3xv, 3ma/2ma discs that your welcome to try? Also if your in need of jets Suzuki centre usually keep alot in stock as thats where ive been buying mine from.
James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: