Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR200 2TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend cut the countersink for me over the weekend, and lent me a polishing wheel. I've played with the bolt heads in the lathe and had a go with the polishing wheel.

It's addictive but mucky work. Cool

The calliper still needs stripping and cleaning up but it's getting there slowly. I've bought some stainless bolts for the calliper to brighten it up a bit.

Last edited by arlurt on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good mate.
Hurry up and get the caliper serviced as the weather is looking great for the next week or so!
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, it's coming together.

The fork leg is back in the bike, and the wheel's in. The disc lines up well in the calliper, so it's looking good. Minor problem yesterday, I was going to pump the pistons out of the caliper to check the seals and clean everything up, but the Sumitomo calliper banjo bolt is a different thread to the Brembo one. New bolt on its way so I'll get back on it when that arrives.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress, eBay provided a new banjo bolt, and the lathe reshaped the head. While I was on the lathe I also had a play with the calliper bolt heads. The pistons pushed out easily and everything cleaned up very well.

To say the calliper was just a random eBay purchase I'm very pleased with it. Coated alloy pistons and generally in good order. I think it's from an Aprillia 125, and they're not often well looked after. The brake pipe is a touch too long but I think I can live with it for the moment.

Next stage is to finish bleeding it and then a little test ride. Very Happy
Terminaterre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia 125 have Grimeca calipers Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now done sixty miles on the new front brake set up, very happy.

Braking is very progressive, loads of power and plenty of feel. Best of all it's got rid of the snatchyness of the old warped disk, and I think it looks good too.

Next job has got to be to improve the part throttle fuelling, hope the weather stays good for some test rides.

Last edited by arlurt on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to repainting the "new" front disc carrier, much more in keeping with the rest of the bike now.

I had a bit of a rub round the engine with an oily rag as well, a smashing looking bit of 80's tech. Cool

StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this from 6 years ago ?

We thought we'd try it again today. Very Happy

Thanks for letting me have a quick spin on it Karl, it feels really sorted, way better than mi... I mean Sara's Embarassed and probably better than Yamaha-san managed with brand-new ones too. Lovely.

maccas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a great pic!

I've been at an anniversary do today otherwise i could have joined you on the rebuilt 3xv!

Looking forward to the two stroke day at sherburn in september!

Maccas
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, we had a good day out, even if it was a bit more eventful that I'd like. I never thought you'd have the 3XV back together already Maccas, impressive stuff. I'll get some contact details to you so we can try and get organised next time. How's the 3XV going...?

I've beem moaning on here for ages that the part throttle fuelling is too rich, you can't ride the bike on a steady throttle in traffic at normal A and B road speeds. Even Martin who did the engine work said he recalled it being a bit rich, so I've finally got round to having a look. I'm very nervous of doing anything that might lead to it ruinning too lean and melting something, this is in part why it's taken me so long to do anything, and the fact that it doesn't exactly do a lot of miles.

For a bike with all its inside on show its always awkward to work on. You can see the bit you want to get to but there's always something in the way. I got the slide out, and the needle out of the slide.

I found that there were two plastic washers under the needle and that there was just one more lower groove to go. First thought was to move one of the washers above the circlip, I assume there should be one either side of it? Decided to leave alone that which you don't understand, and moved the circlip into the last slot. To be honest my hopes were not high.

Right, I'd better go for a test ride. It was a nice day, and Tim and I have been talking about doing the Humber Bridge photo again, this time with the SDRs, for ages. So off I went.

Moving the needle has transformed it completely. It will now carry a steady throttle in traffic anywhere above about 50mph. Before you were constantly hunting up and down the gearbox, accellerating and braking in steady traffic because that was the only way it would run cleanly. This is the furthest I've been on a two-stroke since the 3XV threw a con-rod on the M1 five or six years ago. It's made me very nervous of constant speed travel on fragile two stokes, so I took the back roads. Out of York, Escrick, Skipwith, North Duffield, Bubwith, Howden, North Cave, Walkington and finally to Beverley. What a great ride out, hardly any traffic and the bike running well. Just now and again, it seemed to sound a bit louder than normal, like the exhaust was blowing, but as it's a race exhaust on springs, I didn't worry too much.

Got to Beverley to find Tim doing good work on his TDR Gag, and getting his 3MA ready for track use. I hadn't said I was having a ride out, and would have just called in for a cup of tea if Sara had been home, but as she was out we decided we'd go down to Hessle Foreshore.

We did our Humber Bridge photos, had an ice cream and then headed back to Beverley. My mirrors had come loose so I wanted to tighten things up before heading home. We had a very short swap round of bikes, Tim's got the correct top yoke and bars for his SDR (not fitted yet) and wanted to know how different it was with clip-ons to the flat bars his bike has, and to try my front brake "upgrade".

Now last time Tim and I had a ride out together, on the TZRs, mine came home on an AA lorry. This time wasn't as bad. Tim had lead the way while we were in convoy, he knows his way round there better than I. For some reason, I passed him near Castle Hill and he followed me. As we approached the last-but-one roundabout my bike suddenly got very loud. I thought the exhaust springs must have broken, or the flange nuts dropped off, and as I slowed to see what had happend I heard Tim's horn sounding. I pulled off at the roundabout to have a look what the problem was. Ah, no silencer, and no Tim.

He'd seen the silencer begin to fall off, and stopped his bike in the road in front of it so no one ran it over. Thanks mate! Very Happy

So I put the rather warm end can in my jacket and went the rest of the way back to Beverley at FULL VOLUME. We swapped the exhaust from Tim's SDR on to mine so I could do the 40+ mile ride home without being arrested, tightened the mirrors and I set off for home. I stopped on Arris Hill for another quick picture, fantasic view from up there on a nice day, all three power stations in view.

I've put my modified-standard exhaust back on the bike until I get round to welding up the race exhaust.

I think I'll add a small brace to the inside of the silencer flange as well to try to support it a bit more. I'm very relieved that there is so little damage to the silencer, just a few small scratches, so small that I think they'll polish out. So we live to fight another day, the bike runs much better, and I've had a nice ride out. Lets hope that nothing happens next time.

Last edited by arlurt on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am; edited 3 times in total
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi karl,

Cheers for the pm! I will let you know when im next back and we can have a quick blast somewhere.

Glad you've improved the part throttle running! Little did you know it but you will have passed within 100 metres or so of the 3xv nestled in my garage, on your journey between howden and north cave! Wish i had seen your sdr go past lol!

Unlucky about the exhaust but yeah a bit of something just to strengthen it up will do the trick!

Maccas
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little ride out again a couple of weeks ago, computer problems have stopped me posting...

This is what happens when you arrange to have a ride out and meet up days before the event. Very cold and foggy at 09:00, and this was the Sunday that the clocks went forward, so it was only 08:00 really.

Once I got to Helmsley it was much better, but still cold.

By the time I got home mid-afternoon it was glorious. Come on guys, get your strokers out and go for a ride. You never know, it might turn out to be a nice day...
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read that, makes me want an sdr even more now.

How is the bike running now?

Kris
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kris,

Congrats on your purchase, looks like you've got plenty to keep you busy there.

I'm a little ashamed to say I've done no more than ride mine since the earlier posts. It needs a good clean over winter, and some attention to the paint on the wheels. The finish has always been slightly tacky, I used to think it was something on the paint, but maybe it's the paint itself. I also need to get the Martin Johnson exhaust welded back together, repainted, and back on the bike.

It still runs a little rough on part throttle but nothing like as bad as it used to be. I don't go far enough to at commuting speeds to worry about it.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle yours, the brake set up looks similar to mine, maybe you can simplify the caliper bracket along the same lines?
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah plenty to do over winter, along with a few other projects that need finishing.

The caliper brackets are awful aren't they so I will definitely be changing them along with a few other bits. I've seen some nice brackets from a few companies in Japan, so if I can at least get the dimensions I will get some machined up.

I will upload some detailed pics of both bikes on my thread and try to keep it updated.

Looking forward to stripping It and getting rid of the rusty parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: