Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

YAMAHA TZR 250 3XV newbie help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: YAMAHA TZR 250 3XV newbie help Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post and first 2 stroke performance bike

I have recently acquired a TZR 250 R 3XV and its in need of a fair bit of restoration work all should be of relative simplicity apart from the engine....

The model is definatly an 'R' as looking at the frame numbers it is in the 3000's and the engine is labelled 3XV00

Upon stripping the parts of the damaged barrel it has become apparent that the piston has seperated from the rods thus have which bent and left a fair amount of shrapnel in the lower cases....

Now..... The bit in which concernes me the most is that looking at the piston crown it is not domed like it should be and the part number on the underside is labelled as 4DP meaning it is surely off a TZ250....

Am i right thinking the piston should only be fit for a TZR 250 SP..? Would i expect it to have different rods and crank to suit the piston? And what is the best way to source parts..? would it be through a main dealer in the UK or overseas?

Many thanks Daz
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Parts are fairly easily acquired from your Yamaha dealer, but are usually special import and expensive. You will find bits on eBay now and again, and on the forums, here an the TZR forum, but again they're seldom cheap.

I'd guess the TZ250 piston's been fitted to your bike because they're more easily available, and usually cheaper than the 3XV items. All the proper 3XV ones, even the SP, have two rings where the TZ items are usually single ring. The late 3XV SPs are flat top I think, with the R, RS and early SP being domed.

The 3VX is a fragile beast, but much appreciated by a lot of people. Sure there's plenty of advice out there if you need it.

This is what mine did, and the reason I eventually moved on to slightly less complicated (and less exciting) single cylinder models.

Good luck!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
We like pictures on here too if you can
Thumbs Up

Hope the rebuild goes ok
rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouchy! That's a horrifying picture of that Conrod! Touchwood I've never encountered a failure like that! Did that leave much damage to the cases?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'funny how it's the 3MA that's acquired the reputation for being the TZR that resembles a grenade with the pin out. Owners don't believe that, it's always third-hand hearsay from people who've never even seen one.

3XV's seem more flaky to me, and that's often backed up by the people who've had 'em.

Just sayin'... Wink

Welcome Dazzler, hope yours is one of the good ones, get some pics up !
dazzler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive took a few pics of the engine..... how do I upload the pics?
dazzler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussed it...!
maccas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Welcome to the world of 3xv's.

That made a right old mess didn't it! I am afraid as other people have said prepare to get your wallet out, the parts alone are a fortune. Your looking at 700 quid plus for a new crankshaft Crying or Very sad

Pistons are about 80 quid on their own with no rings or gudgeon pin either sadly. I've just blown my 3xv up (arlurts old bike) and my wallet is now paying the consequences as I found that upon stripdown the crankshaft had some corrosion damage so needed fixing even though it was only a minor seize up on the left cylinder. So what at first just looked to be a top end rebuild on one cylinder turned out to be a full engine rebuild Crying or Very sad

Does the other cylinder have a 4dp piston fitted too? Also what do the cylinder heads look like, does the combustion chamber profile match the piston crown or are the heads the dome type?

Maccas
dazzler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh the other cylinder piston is labelled 4DP01 aswell....

the heads are labelled as 3XV00 and are domed i'm unsure on what the TZ ones look like.... i was shocked to see them in there when i opened it up as i'd read on other forums that the 4DP's should only fit SP models.... maybe the bike was down on performance with the 4DP pistons as the compression would have been down i presume..!?

Oh and i was aware i'd be into big money for a full rebuild i'll be taking my time fixing it as the racing season starts soon and i'm still busy with building that engine first..!
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Seeing as the tzr forum is down at the moment i will try and help you!

I know that Warwick has run SP flat top pistons with 'R' heads without issues with a sugo cdi, tz pipes, ported 'R' barrels and tz 38mm carbs. The sugo cdi runs quite a lot of advance at the top end of the rev range so the big head volumes benefit here and allow the engine to rev on. Squish will be far from ideal but it has worked for Warwick.

Someone will have put 4dp pistons in as they are cheaper than the oem 'R' pistons and quicker to get hold of (Dennis Trollope has them on the shelf).

What do you want the bike for Daz? Road or race?

Maccas
dazzler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi maccas,

i'm gonna build the bike for the road i race a new zx6r so am not stressed about even riding the bike really.... i've bought it to restore back to a reasonable condition and use it once or twice a year to blow out the cobwebs..!

i'd probably put TZ pistons back in but i'm unsure on the crank as its had a big seizure.... do you think i should look into obtaining a new crank or will it be easily rebuildable..??

thanks for your time i'm ever greatful..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: