Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250 3XV rear seat cowl (single seat) £31

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yanw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: TZR250 3XV rear seat cowl (single seat) £31 Reply with quote

Ok, following the piece in Practical Sportsbikes on replacement panels this month I have contacted Marytn Hayes.

He can make us some pattern rear single seat cowls and the first run of twenty would cost £31 (plus p&p) each. Now, the latest one I have seen sell on eBay went for £180 so you can see the price difference.

They would be injection moulded out of black polyurethane plastic and would even include the underside screw spikes to fit it to the moded seat base as per the original ones.

I am happy to front the cash for the first twenty assuming two things. The first is at least ten people let me know they want one and secondly I (actually Marytn) can get hold of an original to make the mould. The man himself says "This price is reliant on receiving a good part from yourself free from cracks & damage. If there are any stickers or decals present then i will have to remove them to enable me to make a good accurate copy & I may need to flat the paint down to remove any flaws. "

So, does anyone want a 3XV rear seat cowl for £31 and does anyone have an original we can use as a pattern. Once the first twenty were sold the mould would be the original donors persons property and Marytn would only sell further copies to them. They could sell them for what they wanted.

I need a rear seat cowl *bad* but you cannot get them for love nor (reasonable) money.

I will post this on the TZR250.com forum when it is back up but wanted to try and get the ball rolling.
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yan!

I'd love to help but my solo seat has a few tiny scuffs on it and i don't fancy having to remove the original decal when they are so rare. I will think about it though.

Maccas
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yan, I'm sure I've got one that could be used, in my stock of spares Thumbs Up

Could you clear something up though?
You say that after his 20 are made, the mould becomes the property of the person who supplies the original part. Is this free, without any cost, as your topic alludes to?
Because in Martyn's mag write up, he says that the mould must be paid for, if this happens. If this is correct, what is the mould cost?
yanw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have costed the price of the mould into the first twenty so each person pays a twentieth of the start up cost. As I front the cash I own the mould until I have recovered my costs (I am not making on this btw, I just *need* one) but when I am even it is transferred to you.

Martyn has two deals, you buy twenty and he keeps the mould and can sell them after or you buy the mold and he only makes them for you. As I don't have an original to make a copy from I needed a way to sweeten the deal for the person who was holding all the Aces.

If you can supply one then send me a PM and I will forward you Marytn's emails. Heck, you can even run the whole shop yourself so long as I get one. It's not about the money, it's about the look of my bike Wink
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 'PM Wink
ndwedwe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll commit, can i see one chaps, post a pic, i am sure it will help Idea
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to call on Prototype Plastics this week.

I'll hopefully have a better picture of what's available and accurate costings.
tonyheslington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh.... dumb question.

How ready will this be fork paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: