Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My 3xv rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: My 3xv rebuild Reply with quote

Finally started gathering up parts for my 3xv rebuild ,
after a year of sitting in the garage its gotten dirty and over spray on it.

I think im going to go with a complete strip down and rebuild , replace or repaint everything that needs it .

Bought a nice new sp crankshaft today of yahoo japan Razz

Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Nice crank you got there, but can you post some pix of the 3XV now before you get stuck in Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty crankshaft...! Very Happy
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Smoker wrote:
Hey,
can you post some pix of the 3XV now before you get stuck in Wink

Its tied into the back of my van at the minute but il take pics as soon as i unload it to start the work Very Happy

arlurt wrote:
That's a pretty crankshaft...! Very Happy

I like new shiny things too Very Happy
Do i remember you having a few busted R crankshafts karl ?

If you had a complete one id buy it from you because i need the drive gears , nuts , bolts , washers , seals and stuff to put on the new crank.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

The 3XV crank (with the dead big end) I bought "From Japan" came just as your SP one did, without the primary or balance shaft gears, and without fasteners. I've got a complete RS engine (with a rusted big end) that I'd prefer to keep as a complete unit for the moment. And I've got a TZ crank (without primary and balance gears) that has a splined output rather than key'd.

With the crank on the bench I think you should consider fitting new seals and bearings so you've got something solid around which you can rebuild your engine.

If the stories are right, then the SP crank should use the same bearings and seals as one of the TZ250 models. If that's the case then you must be in the best place to find someone who can do a simple bearing and seal swap on your crank? Or perhaps they can just measure it up and re-assure you it's good for a decent number of road miles before you need to worry about it...

I sent you the 3XV workshop manual didn't I? That gives you all the measurements to check crank servicability. The words are Japanese, but the diagrams and measurements are (fairly) easily understood.
Wb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer mains and seals from all 90s TZs are the same as the 3XV ones (I think the 2000 on models are the same too in fact.)

If you mean that the crank is 'new' as in brand new, then the bearings should be fine in any case (I've never seen one with a grooved bearing on the stator side myself though?).

Dennis Trollope (Bristol) will usually supply the seals next day if you can't find them locally. If it's not new, then a check of the play, run out etc., will tell you if it needs rebuilding. If the big ends are borderline or at all suspect I'd get it rebuilt myself for reassurance. If it's good when it arives though, just whack it in and forget about it Cool .
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replys lads ,

The sp crank i bought it a brand new one in the box so a quick check over and i should be fine Smile

As for the gears issue , Im just gona have to order up some from yam if i cant get my crank back of stan or find some second hand bits.

thanks again
Wb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it much cheaper to buy it on Yahoo Japan than to order one through Yam in the UK? Don't forget that you'll have postage to pay (both to Okshon themselves and then on to you). Do you get stung for VAT or other 'import fees' by the Irish customs on overseas packages too? If they pick stuff up coming into the UK, you usually get hit with VAT on the full value and then an arbitraray release fee (that added about 58 quid to a sugo CDi I got via Okshon Rolling Eyes ).
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieving b4st4rds, the customs.....they charge you Import Duty, then VAT on the total INCLUDING the Import Duty and Carriage!!! Surely they should not be able to charge VAT on carriage, which is a fee paid for an overseas service!!!! Its just soooooo wrong that they get away with this.

http://www.rg250.co.uk
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wb wrote:
Was it much cheaper to buy it on Yahoo Japan than to order one through Yam in the UK? Don't forget that you'll have postage to pay (both to Okshon themselves and then on to you). Do you get stung for VAT or other 'import fees' by the Irish customs on overseas packages too? If they pick stuff up coming into the UK, you usually get hit with VAT on the full value and then an arbitraray release fee (that added about 58 quid to a sugo CDi I got via Okshon Rolling Eyes ).

The crank itself cost me 380 euros then the postage inside japan was about 20 euros and 100 euro air mail to ireland so 500 euros all in.

I could have done ground postage for 40 ish but it wasnt as safe.

I only got cought once or twice by customs in Ireland , everything that comes through fed-ex gets taxed so i try avoid them now if i can.

Tracking says its in tokyo airport now so should arrive in a few days Smile
Wb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not at all bad, is it? Cool. And quick too! I've always found Okshon to be pretty slow and Jap Yahoo pretty expensive myself, so it sounds like you've got a good deal there Very Happy .
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my crankshaft arrived last week with a nice bill of €107 hanging off it for customs . seems recession has the goverment hungry for any tax they can get.

my hid set arrived too

next up is top end parts Smile
eire_kp61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a while but shes finally bike to life Very Happy

Its far from finished but its got 1500 kms under its belt so far so all goin good

some pics of the recent work

eire_kp61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eire_kp61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: