Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

MVX 250

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gioseliani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: MVX 250 Reply with quote

Hello, i am new to 2 strokes and have recently come across a MVX 250 for sale. The guy wants 400 for it but he says the engine needs work, but that's not a problem. I am simply worried about the reliability as i am planning to buy it as an every day vehicle. I have read about the poor reputation the engine has but is it really as bad as it seems? Is the bike worth buying and is there anyway to fix the problems the engine has? Thank You.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the DS site chap.

I've never had a MVX250 but I do have a number of two strokes so here goes with my simple thoughts only:

£400 sounds fairly cheap so buyer beware.. If its in good condition then it's probably worth more than that in parts alone.

Rebuilding the engines is Easy enough but only if you are mechanically minded and like getting your hands dirty. Obtaining parts for some models can be very difficult so may be worth checking this out first.

Does the seller know what the problem is with the engine? Be good if you can establish the problem before you commit.

Every day transport? - sounds like great fun but again likely not to be as reliable as a four stroke

Would I take this project on as my first experience with a two stroke and then expect to use it every day.. Probably not one for me but don't let my comments put you off - the fun of a two stroke can be infectious and you forgive the challenges when you smell the smoke and hear it scream

Very Happy
gioseliani

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i talked to him today and he said that its in good condition all round but it missing a piston after he attempted to take it apart for tuning. This bike is known for having piston and cylinder damage so im not sure if it will even work properly at all. The guy wants 400 bucks for it so i think it should be worth a try.
Alastair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyday transport I can only see this as a disaster. In the unlikely event the thing proves reliable, the cost of fuel and oil will crucify you. Parts availability is best decribed as dire in the UK. Buy it as a toy only.

CBR1000RR6 (0 - Court in 2.5 seconds)
NS400RF
MTX80RFD
gioseliani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you guys are saying, i will probably just buy it as a toy as i hear 2 strokes are a lot more fun the 4 strokes. But i still have the problem of the engine piston/cylinder failure that i'm not sure show to fix. I read some things about the ignition timing but that as i understand is just a theory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: