Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Here we go again...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Powder coat or paint ?
Powder coat as its done for you and looks the best ?
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Paint as its more original ?
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Leave alone and go for the 'rat bike' look
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Here we go again... Reply with quote

As the dark nights and rubbish weather takes hold I'm starting another two AR rebuilds, a track bike and road bike ..

What I want to know is powder coat or paint of the frames?

I've swayed both ways on this one over the years. Like the finish of powder coat on back tubular frames but think it looks a bit 'gloopy' on box frames.

Paint such as two pack gives a great finish too if prepared right - and of course it easier with this to keep some of the frame stamps / labels original

Powder coat seems to give a resilient finish but you can't see corrosion building under the surface and its a bu@@er to remove to repair. Paint chips more easier but you can repair and match it..

I always leave old 'throw away' bolts in holes to save having to clean the threads whatever finish I use

So there it is, simples really - powder coat or paint?
yanw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I voted for powder coating as I think it is a bit more hard wearing for real everyday use. Chances are it might be the last time you will coat the frame so go for something that will last.

You would have to go paint if you were going for the "C" word (we can't say "concourse" on the TZR forum as Warwick threatens to break into your garage with the matt black rattle cans) but I guess you are actually wanting to use the bikes rather than look at them.

For my KMX I just use Red Smoothrite. Its a reasonable colour match , from about 30 foot away and it is all about function not looks with that bike.

Perhaps the question should be "how OCD do you think I am?" Razz

(Don't get me wrong, I do like the look of a concourse bike however I don't have the patience, the eye for detail and I am a clumsy t**t. If you can do it well then fair play to you.)
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went for powder coat, for the same reasons as yanw.

Quote:
You would have to go paint if you were going for the "C" word (we can't say "concourse" on the TZR forum as Warwick threatens to break into your garage with the matt black rattle cans) but I guess you are actually wanting to use the bikes rather than look at them.

I think I like Warwick Cool Laughing Laughing
maccas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid i have lost faith in powdercoat as the last two times i have had my kr frame powdercoated i have had problems. Both times i spilt a little bit of petrol on the frame and it has damaged the finish to the powdercoat. Couldn't believe it. Its supposed to be hardwearing.

Next time i think i will get my ally frames anodized.

I vote stove enameling TS

Dan
fletch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my KR1-S frame powdercoated, fuel tap leaked and has left a nasty stain down the side of frame, am not impressed at all
Evil or Very Mad
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for paint.
I'm not too fussed on the thicker, gloopy finish of powdercoat.
As others have stated, staining seems more likely too.
Touching up any marks/scratches is easier with paint too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: