Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Event of the year ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Event of the year ? Reply with quote

I've always maintained that there are no sad hobbies. As long as it's different to what you do for a living, distracts you from the miseries of everyday life and makes you happy, then it's a Good Thing. Some people might sneer at your bus ticket collection, just like there are plenty of people who don't get why you like spending your weekends rebuilding carburettors. Ignore them.

However, I've just spotted THIS on another forum. A big one-day festival devoted to car cleaning and polishing. Shocked

Of course, I chuck a bucket of hot water over the car now and again, and I've even been known to get the (cheap supermarket) polish out when one of my bikes is on display at a show. I'm not saying that a sparkly-clean vehicle is a bad thing. But I'm staggered that there's an event devoted to it, and that so many people are obviously excited about it.

Anyway, it's this Sunday, and even though I'll be driving right past Peterborough, I think I'll give it a miss. If you go, let us know what it was like. And then have a word with yourself. Doh !
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You don't fancy entering the Speed Detailing competion? Simply "...polishing a panel quicker and better than anyone else..."?

Nah, maybe you're right.
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was at the rs day at donington and there were peaple cleaning the plug holes on their cossie cam covers with tooth brushes Rolling Eyes they looked pretty upset when the 4 of us started laughing Laughing
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a clean car as much as the next guy, but you have a be a 'special' sort of person to be a detailer. I have a couple of friends who are and will spend 5 days cleaning - sorry, 'detailing' one vehicle, and charge a LOT of money to do so.

Of course the market wouldn't exist if they weren't people out there who are willing to pay for it.

Lucky we're not all the same eh?! Laughing
R1Zman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are products out there for cleaning the INSIDE of car tail pipes - these guys are obsessive/compulsive types who can't wait for the invention of nano-bots to personally remove every grain of dirt individually. Either i'm so far ahead of the game or i've been dreaming about star trek again!!!!!
yanw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work with a woman who used to do concourse cars with her husband. She would go out for an hour at lunch and polish a different section of the car each day. For example she would spend an hour doing the inside of a single door sill....

The underside of his bonnet was shinier than any of yous bikes. He had axle stands so he could polish the floor pan.

Each to their own.
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo's..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: