Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

What it's all about

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: What it's all about Reply with quote

You may have seen this footage before but I think it sums up everything about the stroker experience ... to be able to ride that well too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVqcFvoRq4
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great vid, thx for posting.

He was doing really well until te bike cut out at 15 minutes.. Maybe that sums up the two stroke experience ...haha
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed ... lightening left fingers a necessity ...!
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike was a FS1E (well, legally ridden) and me and my mates buzzed around in large gaggles generally annoying the neighbourhood in the mid 70's. The video reminds me of this other than they all riding pretty sanely (we didn't) no-one had the original baffles fitted (always removed) and we all wore clothing reminiscent of a Bay City Roller or alternative attire was Crombie, two tones and AirWear .... unless you were on an SS50 5 speed in which case you were wearing a Sam Brown and old before your time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nx68N77Oo8
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
...unless you were on an SS50 5 speed in which case you were wearing a Sam Brown and old before your time.

Laughing
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the confession ... I've had an unrestored SS50 5 speed in the shed for years ... of course, the reality of '70's sixteener action was that if you were gonna be successful with the gals down the pub/café you had to ride with 4" platform shoe/boots and 12" bell bottoms and the Fizzy pedals pivoted nicely to accommodate gear changing.

See ... it all comes together ...
R1Zman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
of course, the reality of '70's sixteener action was that if you were gonna be successful with the gals down the pub/café you had to ride with 4" platform shoe/boots and 12" bell bottoms and the Fizzy pedals pivoted nicely to accommodate gear changing..

cheeky bugger.......I had "FS1E envy" when i was 17 & had to make do with an SS50 - with the baffle out you gained half a decibel - but I made up for that with the chicks with my Brutus faders & Brian Connolly feather cut! Would have been much easier to just buy a Garelli tiger as that was the height of cool round my way - or a jps Puch grand prix,,,,,,,
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Cross ... now you're talking ... only one of our mob had one 'cos his Dad was minted. I did eventually upgrade to a Fantic T1 with a 6 speed Minarelli but they were not mainstream.

One or two of the boys had to go with NSU Quickly's or Raleigh Runabouts from their Dads shed but they hung in there and we all went to AS1's, YDS7's, Hustlers or if you had the money, an newer RD.
mikee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an orange 5 speed drum brake ss at 16
blew it up in the first week , so me and dad rebuilt it , with a bit of tuning
matched the inlet to the carb and the head ,polished the ports and the valves , filed the carb slide so it would open fully removed the baffle , and stuck a long drill down the exhaust
i flew after that (reiltivley speaking) in top you just held it wide open and let it rev thru the valve bounce then it went all smooth , would do just over 60 clocked by neumerous folk on bigger bikes , only 2 local 50's were faster , john conroy's beeline tuned fizzy and wassels tiger cross, but that broke down most of the time

mike
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!! Reading about FSIEs, SS50s, Tiger Cross's and the like doesn't half take me back (too far!).

My first bike took 6 months of solid persuasion on my folks and unbelievably it worked - not only that but they bought me a NEW Suzuki TS50ER - one of the very first, a blue 1980, reg: CTC 50W (wish I could get it back now).

The 'gang' had a mixed selection of bikes; another 2 x 50ERs a red one and a yellow one, a DT50MX, a GT50 (this chap also had a Tiger Cross), a Gilera TS50, an A50 and an AP50 - the last 3 were the fastest. That was until the guys with the GT50 and the yellow ER bought 75cc Malossi kits - Shocked jeeeez - they went like stink and sounded the nuts!! We all wanted them but couldn't afford them - as we spent any money we had on petrol and ciggies!! Laughing
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was dreaming this was me when on my Fizzy all those years ago ... gratuitous clutch slipping and all ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoUv0rpGSZc
R1Zman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
I guess I was dreaming this was me when on my Fizzy all those years ago ... gratuitous clutch slipping and all

Superb - pity most of the riders are probably older numerically than the capacity of the bikes! We should have a series like this in the uk - our racing future shouldnt be left to the lucky few who can afford, or have the rare skills to participate in the Spanish moto3 etc.
The track looks more like an industrial estate - plenty of them around me but sadly they are all in use 24/7 every day of the year in order to prop up the Polish economy.......
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to do moped mayhem in Norfolk some years ago for junior and adults until insurance and nervous landowners / organisers (thanks to liturgy culture) called it a day ... used to have 3 hour endurances with proper Le Mans starts and pitting / chageovers etc ... top fun. Strictly 50cc engine limits but anything went ... Yamaha BOP II was our weap€on of choice , two speed auto ... didn't break down once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: