Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Yamaha SDR carbs/Engine rebores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andywbafc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Yamaha SDR carbs/Engine rebores Reply with quote

Hi guys...anyone know who can refurb a SDR carb for me? The two metal inlets that the rubber hoses push onto have corroded and have holes in them (I'm told this is caused by previous owners using no coolant).

They look factory mounted/sealed so sadly its not just a case of unscrewing them..I am told they need to be removed by heating,removing and replacing them (?)

Apart from that the carb looks fine so I dont need it vapour blasting etc.

Also,is it possible/straightforward to rebore a SDR engine?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. Welcome on board. Don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid but nice to see another SDR owner on here. Get some pics of yours up, I think you might be winning.... Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

By your description, I assume the pipes you're talking about on the carb are just the "crab heating". You say it's got holes in the pipes, can you position the rubbuer hoses to cover the holes and prevent a leak?

I think you'd get away without carb heat for the sort of dry summer riding I'd expect of an SDR. Just blank 'em off and have a go. Wink

If that's not to your taste then you could try some careful rubbing down and epoxy. I believe the brass pipes are just an interferance fit in the alloy, the difficulty is getting hold of them well enough to pull them out without damaging them. If you can get then out then you can press some others in.

Final option might be another carb, the one on the SDR is certainly similar to the left cylinder on my 3XV, and I'm sure you'll find it on other Yamahas as well. The 28mm item certainly isn't that special.

Good luck with it.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you've got an SDR collection Andy... Wink

How about a few pictures?
andywbafc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all...yes, I had four but alas they are all gone now. They are fantastic looking,fast bikes but to be honest I got fed up of breaking down on them!With no mechanical interest myself & no-one local or reliable to help me out(without paying a fortune) I decided that four SDRs was a little 'over ambitious' and it might be nice to walk to the other end of the garage without getting impaled on a brake lever somewhere!.

I have to say that it was not at all easy selling them either.Everybody wants one but no-one wants to pay the right kind of money. I lost money on every one and that was after holding out for the better offers.

I paid good money for one from Fastline Superbikes,Preston, in the Winter of 2010. When I got on it to ride it properly in early Spring, it did not run right. I called Fastline to tell them and they were not interested as the warranty had ran out. I had it looked at locally and was told that it didnt look like it had had a pre-sale service...I am several hours away from Preston,so what could I do? The bike never ran properly and was sold at a loss. Thanks for that,Fastline!

I would suggest that if you read this and buy an SDR,that you strip it and rebuild it from scratch.It will be expensive but at least you will get home..! Very Happy

Incidentally,if you need any SDR parts, I have loads..I will put up a separate advert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: