Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

General Chat Section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavesyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: General Chat Section Reply with quote

Does the forum need a general chat section?, this is the most popular section on most forum's, and tends to create a bit of a community feeling.

That last bit sounds, a bit hippish, but you know what i mean........

Anyone any thought's on this?....................

Mike..
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the forum to be focussed on what it was created to do, that is support other people with odd-ball two-strokes. This site does seem to have a focus of interest that is laking from the others I've looked at, I do think that once you have a "General" or "Off Topic" area then there can be a tendancy for that sort of chat to make it into the other threads as well.

As the site is, it gives us somewhere to talk about (or even show off) our toys, with other like-minded people who understand better than most what we're doing and why.

Having exposed my self as a social-media non-believer, I'll await the condemnation of the enthusiasts. Wink

Of course if we get a "Chat" area it won't bother me because I won't be reading it, I just hope it doesn't spread into the bits I enjoy...

Last edited by arlurt on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been mentioned before, and it would be good to generate a bit more input on here.

Don't want this place to go the way of some of the other forums I go on though, where 95% of the posts are about something other than bikes. Usually jokes and sex to be honest. It's all very amusing but it makes it very difficult to find anything useful amongst the crap.
mavesyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point about other forum's being full of crap chat, but i was thinking of a general bike chat forum.
If i come on the forum, and would like someone's advice on how to change my spark plugs, which section would i put that question in ?. Could someone point me in the right direction for a crankshaft rebuild, which section wouild i post that in ?. Say i collectted Suzuki sales brochures, what section would i share my passion in ?.

I'm not knocking the forum, i think it's excellent, but it is a bit quiet at times..........

Mike..........
grellow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of general chat just a BIKE chat section would be nice
if a topic is not about bikes just a simple delete would do

my 2p Very Happy
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point.

Talking to Tim yesterday about this and he was saying it might be nice to be able to post about a biking holiday, or some chat about our non-diff'rent strokers.

I'm OK with that, just don't go posting about what happened on East Enders... Rolling Eyes
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Thumbs Up

We've added a new General area containing both Biking Chat and Technical sections. Hopefully these will generate a bit more traffic on here without turning the whole place into a wannabe Facebook. Rolling Eyes

We'll keep an eye on it and if we have to spend too much time moderating it, it'll be canned.

Who's brave enough to post something first ?... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: