Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

ns400r flat spot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy b
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: ns400r flat spot Reply with quote

[img]http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/andybirts/?action=view&current=atlast16.jpg[/img]

Hi. Can anybody please help with my ns problem.

I have just finished restoring it but other than service the bike (fluids/brakes lines pads/gear oil etc i have not stripped the engine or carbs.. It has a terrible flat spot....The bike revs fine up to 5000 rpm then hits a point where the engine note sounds bogged down (almost like its trying to run on 2 cylinders until it gets past 6000 rpm when 7000 is reached it zings along as it should. First thought was possibly an electrical breakdown but above 6500 it doesn't miss a beat...

When i try to lightly throttle through it on the move it still does it but not as bad as when i try to put it under load at these revs..Changed plugs and got rid of a exhaust leak from the atac cover but still the same. If i raise the revs slowly whilst in neutral it still hits the dull tone at 5000 rpm.

A pal of mine is a mechanic but with no experience of these and does not seem to think it will be the carbs as it is fine below 5000 and the main jets must be clear for the response above 6500.

I really would appreciate any advice on this.. I have heard some do have a flat spot but this feels like it is being dragged back and in all honesty i have had 2 of these before and never had it...

It has standard pipes on and to my knowledge has neveer had race pipes or been jetted..I really dont fancy taking the carbs off especially if this symptom does not require it.

I really would appreciate advice as there are not many good weather days left before the crap weather sets in and cant bear to see it sat sparkling in my garage having not had any fun on the bloody thing and spent the last 18 months contemplating then getting round to doing it !!!...

Thank You.

Andy.[img][/img]
Alastair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2 strokes have a midrange flatspot where they are off the pipes. You are welcome to bring it to sunny Glossop and I'll soon tell you if it is running right.

CBR1000RR6 (0 - Court in 2.5 seconds)
NS400RF
MTX80RFD
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry maybe its a bit silly but you never know.

I had the same problem with one of the RG 250's

Turned out that the powervalves were not working correctly.
broken AEC control unit and the PV cables connected the wrong way round.

Hope this helps

Regards Erik
colp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it may sound bleeding obvious but have you cleaned or replaced the air filter? i know when my kr-1 filter needs a clean because the power drops off at about 5000rpm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: