Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

AR125 UK Register or Owners Club?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: AR125 UK Register or Owners Club? Reply with quote

AR125 UK Register ?

Ive been looking for a Kawasaki AR Owners Club and the one in Japan seems to have completely disappeared ?

Also, no one in the UK seems to keep any kind of Register for these little Strokers ?

It seems such a shame as they are a really brilliant unsung hero from the 80's and early 90's along side the RD, RG, MBX and the later RGV, TZR and NSR's

Now please forgive me (as I'm biased of course..) but I was wondering - can anyone point me in the direction of a Owners Club or UK / World Register for the AR125. If not I'm seriously considering doing something.

Also.. I'm a great believer in using what's already available ...erm like the DS site to kick things off?

Comments, help or interested owners please make contact through this site and I will gauge interest (or just do my own thing as usual Thumbs Up )

Cheers
Shaun
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with that single rather naive post, you've just started the UK AR Owners Club Shaun ! Laughing How do you think this place got started ? Rolling Eyes

The Japanese AROC still seems to be running, they've moved their website though. I need to update the link on my site, sorry. Give my regards to Tetsua-san !

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
And with that single rather naive post, you've just started the UK AR Owners Club Shaun ! Laughing How do you think this place got started ? Rolling Eyes

The Japanese AROC still seems to be running, they've moved their website though. I need to update the link on my site, sorry. Give my regards to Tetsua-san !

Thanks Mr Mischief .. If I do set up AROC UK it will be evolution not revolution Cool clearly I gotta stop drinking in the evening Rolling Eyes

Liking the link between the AR and KROG - fits well with my other interests too! Just need a good KR250A now !

Thanks for the link Salute
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim
How about a deal..?
You set up a spanking new fandango KR250 site and include a section for the li'l AR and I will go halves with you ?

KR250A and AR register?
Question Wave Thumbs Up
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got far too much stuff on the go already Shaun. The KR site, the DS site, the Mini site, this forum, plus 5 other webpage/blogs, none of which ever get updated.

Thought I was about to suddenly have a lot of spare time on my hands but that's not happening now. Not yet anyway. Confused

Was thinking of a radical redesign for the KR site but not got anywhere with it yet. See above. Rolling Eyes

Here's the deal : I'll add a new AR page to the existing KR site if you write all the content and provide all the pics. Very Happy
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Tim, sounds great idea to meeeee
Dont worry though i will not be stressing you out for a while yet..
Will take me a while to sort myself out as im mega busy too and I would like a few sunny days to take some pics
Very Happy

Cheers fella

PS Ive been thinking of turning out my old tax exempt Mini too.. It's got a STmini challenge (649) engine and sounds just like a two stroke. I reckon you would like it
(when I was younger Mr policeman seemed to like it a lot too... Of course this must be true by the way they kept pulling me over .. ho ho) Thumbs Up
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ld like to see an Ar50/80/125 site, can we include the Ae50/80 too?

I've been wanting an Ar125 for about ooh...........25years Embarassed

Will get one, one day................ Rolling Eyes
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I'ld like to see an Ar50/80/125 site, can we include the Ae50/80 too?

I've been wanting an Ar125 for about ooh...........25years Embarassed

Will get one, one day................ Rolling Eyes

I would quite like a AR/AE site too - I wanted a AE80 In Kawasaki green to potter around off road but couldn't find one so bought a KMX200 instead.
The KMX is great for me but the AE would have killed two birds etc because my 7 and 9 and 14 and 15 yr olds would have been able to ride it too ( smaller and lower seat height etc). Ended up having to get then their own motorbike... Dam! I never was good at counting the pennies ( or avoiding rumpy pumpy...) Shocked Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any KR250 info on the net way back in 2002, so I set up my own site. Had no idea what I was doing but I worked it out.

Nothing to stop one of you creating your own AR/AE site.

Just sayin'... Wink
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nothing to stop one of you creating your own AR/AE site.

I would but my computer knowledge goes as far as knowing how to 'surf the web' & pick up my emails Embarassed

So over to you Shaun Very Happy
he235

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I've just acquired my second AR125 and would like to join! Very Happy

The first I got in January to cut the commute to university and avoid the buses and the second I picked up yesterday.

the first a B4 frame with a different B engine, it was going just fine right up until about a week ago when I was giving it the once over for its MOT and then part of the already cracked cylinder (one of the exhaust stud fixing points) decided to break off Evil or Very Mad

And the other is a B8 frame (Apparently with an A engine although i have yet to check the numbers) Which i got in bits although it looks like most of it is there and alot of the parts are better than my original ones.

If all goes to plan i'll sell one (all B as close to orginal as possible) and modify the other for when i pass my test.

Not sure what to do about the cylinder head as welding isn't really an option on Cast Iron so i might braze or more likely jb weld it (hate that stuff but I really need to get back on the road.)

Huw
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Huw and It's great to hear from another AR fan Thumbs Up

If you want to PM me your frame and engine numbers I will be able check frame models and tell you engine types etc. Easy one for the engine casing AR125AGxxxx is B model restricted and AR125AExxxx is A model unrestricted. I have bike model info and full parts listings for both early types A1/B2+ and the later A4/B3 to A7/B8.

Of course the barrel / head on the A engine could have been swapped so don't be suprised if it is not all matching etc. Easiest thing to check with this is the exhaust port to top of cylinder ... A model is 2mm less (27mm) than B model (29mm). Head is trickier to check as volume on A model is approx 2-2.5cc less than B.

What I've also found is the castings are really poor on some of the barrels so they vary greatly anyway. Giving the ports a bit of a fettle and polish, together with better compression / squish, works wonders on both A and B. In fact I would rather start with a B barrel to tune than a A barrel so don't be disappointed if the barrel is not the unrestricted one!

I've never tried JB weld on anything other than alloy cases so don't know if it will work on the exhaust stud hole. That said I also have a spare head with a cracked exhaust stud so may look at how this can be repaired..

Any questions, or trouble getting spares - don't hesitate to ask.
I'm no expert, just have a soft spot for these little 125s

All the best
Shaun
he235

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun

thanks for your reply, Well the JB weld held for about 5 hours worth of riding then, the piece of studding that I had glued in with it sheared and has now left me with an unusable barrel. Sad

It also turns out the engine that I was assured was an A engine is in fact a B engine....

I plan to put the good head (rebuilt with new gaskets and seals) on my running engine and rebuild the B engine that came with the second bike, I have not heard this run and the previous owner (who told me it was an A engine) also claimed to have rebuilt the top end, I am a little dubious and by looking at the quality of the paint on the outside of the barrel and the fact the spark plug hole is gummed up with said paint means I feel it would be best to do a complete strip down and rebuild.

Here are some photos of the bikes

As I got the first one

As it looks now

The second one at the as I got it

As it looks after putting some parts on it today

The damage to the cylinder head

On the engine rebuild you made the following suggestions in another thread so i'm going to have a go at them

Raising the exhaust port to 27mm from top of barrel

Skimming 0.3mm from head

Using an unrestricted disk valve (what about reed valve?) Also do you know of a source where I could acquire one?

I have got an allspeed exhaust (I think) but may opt for something custom

Two stroke institute suggested

A VHSB Delorto 30mm off a ICC kart do you have any more information on this?

Also it will need another barrel, do you have a source for any of these?

I've sent you a pm with the frame and engine numbers
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Huw
Well that answers the JB weld question... I have a barrel with the same problem so I will try welding and let's see how this performs Confused

Great pics. Please keep them coming and I will try to help where I can..

Looks like you have at least one complete bike so you should be ok if you want to rebuild. If you get stuck for things like the rear tail flap then give me a shout as some stuff I may have in the shed...

If your going to port the barrel and do the head then it's also worth taking a little time to polish the port routes to the transfers and to open these up matched to the casing (use a base gasket as a guide). Simple stuff really but can make quite a difference without making it too wild for the road.

I have never used the Delorto cart carb that TSI suggested. I'm not even sure if they are easily available. If you try this then I would be keen to hear how you get on.. For me keeping things cheap and simple is king so I would use the VM26 (restricted is a VM24) as you can get these off an old KMX or if you want a new one try Stomp.

Unrestricted disk valve.. I've just let one of these go so you needed to be quicker ... However, I can post a picture maybe you can use to mark out the restricted valve so you can cut it to size so all is not lost ! ( again assuming you don't want to change the timing). The standard reed valves are fine for a road engine.

Sorry, I don't think i have any spare barrels at the minute other than ones that need repair. I will have a sort out and let's see if any are ready to go.

When I get in later I will also look at the engine / frame numbers and let you know models etc ok on PM

Cheers
Shaun
Very Happy
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AROC Japan ... Alive and kicking!

If they have a 40th anniversary in Tokyo I would dearly like to attend

Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: