Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

KX250 supermoto project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ross_16v

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: KX250 supermoto project Reply with quote

Hi, I've just joined the forum and had a look around. I'm a big fan of stink wheels and have owned one or two in the past, well pretty much all my bikes have been 2 strokes with the exception of a 600 bandit and my monkey bikes.

Anyway, the reason I managed to find this forum was that I was searching around for info on KMX's for a project I have been gathering parts for. Sorting through oold magazines I found an old PB magazine with a featured project where a reader had made a supermoto special from a YZ frame and DTR engine, I remembered this article from when I first read it and really fancied doing something similar for myself as I love the minimal supermoto look and 2 stroke engine. I've now got a KX250 frame with dating cert, KX forks, swing arm and wheels and also after an impulse buy from ebay a set of zxr400 wheels which I'm not even sure will fit!!

I'm now trying to source a suiteable engine that I can use for my project and my first thought was a KMX 200 engine or maybe 125 and was wondering if any of you guys had previous experience with these engines, good/bad etc? I had a KMX125 back when I was 16/17 and used it offroad until I could get on the road at 17 and loved it but maybe that's just the rose tinted glasses....

I'm also looking for other suggestions on engines that would be reasonably straight forward to fit in a KX frame but is road based (hence why I'm not just going for a KX engine) bearing in mind that I'm no fabricator. I'll give most thing a go though and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Any suggestions or advice woud be great.

Cheers
Ross

p.s sorry for the big spiel Smile
yanw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a KMX200 for the last 12 years and use it as my daily commuter. I have recently been trying to improve the performance and turn it into a bit of a sleeper.

TBH if you are going down the Supermoto route I would suggest you try looking for a big KDX lump as they are more modern and have a bit more power. Remember the KMX engine design hasn't changed since 1986.

With respect to the KMX engine you can convert a 125 into a 200 but you will need the 200 head, barrels, KIPS valves, piston, con-rod, exhaust and (I might be wrong) oil pump. The KMX engine parts (especially 200) are starting to demand high prices as the bikes are starting to be a retro-classic and Kawasaki are not making some of the parts (KIPS valves).

If you do buy a 200 lump make sure the KIPS valves are in good condition (or even there) as a new set will cost you about £90. I have seen people put 125 valves in but they don't have such a wide opening.

People have been playing with aftermarket exhausts and "The Big One"'s are commanding big prices but I spoke with James at BDK and he said all the testing they did on the 200's a few years ago only moved the powerband up the rev range and didn't affect the power.

For more on pipes check Dave's thread here.

If you have any questions please feel free to post or PM me. I love my KMX but I think you might not want to put the engine in your project. Have you thought about going "the full KX"? So long as the MOT tester cannot see "not for road use" on the pipe you shouldn't get failed.
ross_16v

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply, a lot of useful information. You could be right on the KMX engine front as they seem to be thin on the ground and of old design. I've been looking at KDX engines too but they seem to be equally as rare, although I've only been looking on ebay so far so might not be looking in the right place.

You could be right about just going for a KX engine although I was a bit worried that it wouldn't last too long on the road due to higher state of tune and need for more frequent re-builds, or am I just being paranoid? I've been searching ebay for ots of different 2 stroke engines but the little that I do find are either too expensive or look past it. I think I might need to try a wanted add in the local small ads again as they turn up the odd bargain and that's where I sourced the frame, swingarm, shock and forks.

I spotted your thread with your KMX, very nice bike and must be fun if you've held onto it for 12 years Smile

Thanks again
Ross
yanw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is ideal for the 7-12 mile commutes I have been doing over the last ten years. High bars, easy to maneuver, cheap/easy to run/fix (mostly) and tyres/suspension suitable for British roads that are getting more like a motorcross track everyday.

I keep thinking of selling it and getting something else but then I just come to the conclusion that I would be shelling out a couple of grand to get something that is pretty much the same that I didn't know the history off. It's a classic now (25yo+, it's a year one Japanese import A1 model) which makes racing cars off the lights so much more satisfying.

Anyway, I have a collection of three expansion chambers now, one winter and two "for best", I can't sell it until I've rusted them through Wink
ross_16v

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it sounds ideal for commuting, if I was you I'd definitely hold onto it. Would make the commute a lot more enjoyable.

I was commuting on a 600 bandit for a while last year and would love a trailie to get to work on but unfortunately my lock up is too far from my flat to walk to in the morning and if I left a trail bike chained outside it'd definitely get nicked eventually!

I can keep my trials bike in my shed but unfortunately the garden is below street level and a bit awkward to get into for anything bigger than a trials bike. Plus I can just ride up the steps on my trials bikes Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: