Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

ysr project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fletch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: ysr project Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i've finally made a start on my ysr project, here it is[/img]
I have got a tuned rd125lc ypvs engine to fit in it Laughing
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking nice, is it easy/hard to get parts for gag bikes? or do they just take normal parts.. in some ways..

i'v never came across these before, they look cool tho.. Cool
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poor MCN paper... Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNewGuy wrote:
is it easy/hard to get parts for gag bikes? or do they just take normal parts.. in some ways.

Engine parts are usually common to something else, aircooled DT50/80 in the case of YSR's I think. Most other stuff is unique though.

Looking good fletch, keep us updated, keen to see the engine transplant. Cool
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they scooter wheels? i know i ask stupid questions.. but if i dont ask i dont find out Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, probably. They certainly take scooter tyres, which is just as well otherwise most Gags would be up on bricks these days.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks just like mine! But mine has red wheels, and i bought it in lots of boxes!
Mine has an rd lump to go in it too, the conversion was done from nearly new and all the brackets are already made up iv just got to figure out where they all go, the engine is in mine loosely now though and im hoping to get a few more hours on it today, ill follow this build closely and get some photos of mine up soon too, i think the company that did the conversion on mine did a few the same so was yours already done? If not ill try and get some detail on the bracketry for you if you want it?
But if you already know then let me know where they go!
Glad to see another gag being brought back to life and best of luck with the build
fletch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine in pieces too!!
The previous owner stripped it and had it all powder coated but never put it back together, the rd125 engine has previously been fitted so i presume all the brackets are in place, i havent checked yet!!
Mine came without any panels so i have had to source some repo fibreglass fairings for it, they will look ok once painted, i need to find rear light and indicators, seat and bum pad as i dont have those parts, may have to make contact with Drew in Japan to get me some off of YaHoo
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came powder coated too! Iv got all the original invoices for the engine fit too, and it also came with a spare swingarm, lower and upper fairing! I have some original indicators too, your more than welcome to a pair as i was going to fit aftermarket to the rear and probably the front too.
Im looking for a fork brace and maybe a second spring for the forks too oh and a shock with a little damping but this is proving tricky!
I definately have all the brackets needed for the fitting of the engine as i have had it in there not to sure about the rad and expansion bottle yet but ill let you know.
And if you need any sizes on the brackets let me know as i have the engine back out again now due to snapping a bolt on the engine cradle!
Somebody didnt block the holes before the powder coating Sad
Im also going to be trying to fit a flush mount rear light so if i manage that ill have a spare rear light too!
When i figure out how to upload pics from an ipad ill get some up, great to see the build coming along though, ill be taking some more reference pics soon too and if we work together on these little jigsaws it might make our lives easier!
Oh and how much did you give and where from if you dont mind my asking!
fletch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the offers Very Happy
I dont block holes in the frame when i have them powder coated i just run a tap through them before i use said hole Wink
I'm hoping to put my engine back together at the weekend and i may even get around to refitting it in the frame Surprised
Will keep you informed of my progress, if there is any Laughing
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally run a tap through too but the hole looked so nice and clean! That will teach me, had to take all of the powder coat off of the footrests and clipons too.
Be good to get a trial fit done and make sure it all lines up, mine came with what look like 2 weights for the rear upper engine mount? Any ideas?
Thought maybe to dampen vibes?
Be really good to see some more pics iv not sorted the pics of mine yet as im working away at the moment.
And just let me know if you want the indicators, i can post or if your in no rush just wait till im near you and ill meet you somewhere
fletch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think my rear engine mounts got weights on them, not sure now Laughing think front of engine is rubber mounted, hopefully i will be able to have good look at weekend
I got my head gasket today so can put engine together and maybe even fit it at weekend Shocked
What engine is yours? The early rd125lc or the later rd125lc with the powervalve fitted? Mines the later powervalved engine, the barrel is 2mm oversize and has been properly ported, heads been skimmed &flywheel lightened so it should go well!!
Am looking forward to having a blast on it Laughing
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should fly! Mines a non powervalve engine, iv not had it open yet, i was going to get it all in and together firstand make sure all is right then ill have the engine out for a rebuild and a mild tune, well ill match all the transfer ports and generally tidy it up.
2mm oversize takes it to about 140 cc i think but im not a hundred percent on that and yup the front are rubber mounted.
Do you know what kind of power you will be getting? As i said that will fly when its done but have you seen some of the engines the americans have put in these! They are a crazy bunch!
fletch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i thought that while the engine was out i would pull the top end off to have a look, discovered that its all ok and has been played with by somebody who looks like they knew what they were doing Very Happy
Am hoping to put the motor back together tomorrow and i may even get to put it in the frame Surprised
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thankfully you can normally tell if they knew howw to tune! Bodged two strokes have a distinctive unevenness about them Laughing
Im by no means a pro, but i think i have a rasonable understanding of strokers and i know how to optimise the flow through the engine!
But i wont be messing much with port heights just yet! Maybe a little wider but only a little! I just make sure the transfer ports line up, smooth out any casting lines and make sure no gaskets get in the way by trimming them to size, it all helps.
Ill let you know hoe mines getting on as i get more done too.
Hope it all slides in easily
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Gag Bikes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: