Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

KMX kickstart mechanism removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yanw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: KMX kickstart mechanism removal Reply with quote

The shaft snapped on the KMX kickstart this morning, looks like it had been going for a while from what you can see on the shaft ends.

I've got a second hand mechanism and a gasket coming off of eBay (Kwak wanted £60 for just the new shaft Shocked ) however I just wanted to see if anyone had experience of changing them?

The Haynes manual says "Remove the clutch as described in section 10" but checking the pictures it looks like you should be able to remove it with the basket in place.

I'm going to find out soon anyway but I just wondered if any one knew so I could plan my time and/or make a clutch basket holding tool.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yanw, just checked the OEM Kawasaki workshop manual and that says the same thing... Remove cover and clutch before you can remove kick start shaft spring.

The pictures look deceiving in the manual I'm not sure you will have clearance and be able to line up the shaft / gears with clutch in place.

Sorry I've been no use at all with this one.. Embarassed

Please let us know how you get on with it
Wink
yanw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking Top-shaggy.

I finally got out to the garage today and managed to do the shaft/mechanism swap. I managed to do it without removing the clutch baskets. I did try to remove them at first but my jury-rigged strap wrench wouldn't hold the inner basket and I CBA to make the tool in the Haynes manual. I have an 12v electric impact driver in the post (late Amazon tool present) but it hadn't arrived yet.

I checked the gear-trains and timing etc but the only thing that runs "off" the kickstart gear is the oil pump which has a plastic cog. When you take the end of the return spring out of the crankcase it could "ping" into the outer basket gear but was fine with some care. The new one went in easy enough and the only alignment you need to do (unless you split the shaft and the cog) is done by the retaining plate. The spring was a bit of a fiddle to get back on but not any real pain to do with a bit of care and caution.

The biggest pain in the 4r53 was getting the clutch case back on. I always have a game on trying to get the clutch arm in the right place but six attempts and ten minutes later it was back together. I managed to reuse the clutch-case gasket as it was only 6 months old but my attempts to reuse the water pump one resulted in coolant running onto the drive. I remade a new one (stuff paying Kawasaki £2.70 and postage) and it sealed nicely.

My only guess about the "removing the basket bit" is that it would be easier to replace the spring on the shaft if the clutch basket was out and that's what the efficient man at Kawasaki writing the manual decided. Personally I thing it was more hassle to try and get the basket off however YMMV. I suspect the Haynes manual just lifted the advice to remove the basket first out of the genuine dealer manual. When all is said and done the dealer can charge an extra hour or so labour to take the basket off and put it back on again which tots up nicely with the £61 for a genuine replacement shaft (case hardened by quenching it in panda tears at that price Rolling Eyes).

I took the bike out round the estate and it ran fine. I am also being a bit less aggressive kicking it over now Embarassed
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update yanw.

Good to know you can do it without removing the clutch - that sounds like my kind of mechanics... And the less you take to bits the less seems to go wrong!

I tend to make most of my smaller gaskets nowadays. I used to use cereal cartons but now have a roll of gasket paper and set of hole punches for the bolt holes etc.

Glad you got it sorted out Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: