Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

KH250
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi arlurt

All looking good fella, been reading the topic back & noticed the fork sliders you painted.

What colour/make of paint did you use? Its the exact colour I want for my Kr1s
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver on the fork sliders and the swing arm is just cheapo carplan alloy wheel silver with a couple of coats of lacquer. It works quote well, and will be deployed again for the Honda project and the shabby alloy swing arm.
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers arlurt Thumbs Up
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a start on the electrics, starting at the back with the easy bits.

I've now got a working tail light, brake light, flasher unit, rear indicators, neutral light and and indicator repeater.

Quite happy with that for the evening.
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arlurt,

sounds like a good shed shift to me.

Reggie
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you all know by now that I'm easily distracted, and though the clip below doesnh't really add much to the task in hand, it is quite a boost to morale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqprvFfz5Iw

I think this deserves a few if these... Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
fazey
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Made a start on the electrics, starting at the back with the easy bits.

I've now got a working tail light, brake light, flasher unit, rear indicators, neutral light and and indicator repeater.

Quite happy with that for the evening.

better than me. got five wires coming out of the headlight and six going in. all different colours Rolling Eyes can i get the side light to work, can i buggery i have a double earth spare i think.
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this deserves a few if these...

Shocked

That sounds mint Thumbs Up
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it sounded a bit slappy, but things might calm down when it's properly up to temperature. Remember of course that it was seized when I started out, and because the plugs looked OK I didn't bother disturbing the cylinders of heads.

It's running, so I think that'll do for the moment. Once I've ridden it, and decided if it has a future with me or not, I can think what the next step might be.

Still annoyed that I missed a set of KH400 barrels, heads and pistons for just a £100 on eBay a few months back...
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
I'm sure you all know by now that I'm easily distracted, and though the clip below doesnh't really add much to the task in hand, it is quite a boost to morale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqprvFfz5Iw

I think this deserves a few if these... Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great stuff, always a big boost to a project when you hear it running. Clap
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

It’s been a LONG time since it was running, must be twenty years…

I need to get the carbs balanced and tweaked for initial settings and idle. I’ve still got the bag of jets and other carb parts you gave me when I got the bike from you. I did mess about with them a bit years ago but it seemed happiest as it was when I got it.

I didn’t have to do a great deal to get it running, some fine wet’n’dry on the points, wire brushed the spark plugs and some fresh fuel in the cleaned carbs. I made sure there was 2T oil all the way to the pump and started kicking. It fired up on two initially, and I couldn't figure out why the left cylinder wouldn’t run. I swapped the left and right spark plugs over to see if the fault moved, but rather than moving the fault, that fixed it. OK, I’ll leave it like that then.

I re-packed the exhausts while they were stripped for powder coating, they should be OK for the MoT, not too loud. I think it could actually make a bit more noise, but I’ll look at freeing some more decibels once it’s got an MoT.

I need to change the gearbox oil. There’s not much in there, just on the end of the dip-stick, and I haven’t changed it in all the time I’ve had the bike.

Wiring is coming on, bad joints soldered and heat shrunk. (Yes I have read the debate on wiring repairs, but I think this approach is OK for my purposes.) I’m struggling to find pin-out diagrams for the regulator and rectifier, I know which wires go to the stator, but I don’t know which of the connections should go to ground, switched live and permanent live. I’ll get it figured out. Wiring should be fairly straight forward, but does need altering. I’ve moved the horn, and the brake light switch is now on the (Honda) brake lever rather than the old Kawasaki hydraulic pressure switch. Both of these require changes to the loom.

I’m going to drill and cable-tie the side panels on. The grommets seem to hold them pretty well, but having had a side panel fall off years ago, and then seen it run over (deliberately?) by a wagon driver I don’t want to risk losing another one.

I don’t like setting deadlines for projects like this, but I’d like to get it finished by the end of this year. If I can then it will have taken me a year to get the bike back on the road. I’m sure I’ve said somewhere that I thought I’d have it on the road for summer, and then that I hoped I’d be done to go to the Classic TT on it, but it just shows how time leaks away.

And what do I have planned for the KH250? Let’s see what it’s like to ride first. If it’s OK, then I’d like to do the Classic TT on it next year. A friend is re-building an RD250, I thought it might be fun to take them to the island and bimble about with some like-minded friends…
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking less like an explosion in a wire factory...

But why is it that things that worked before I taped up the loom don't work now? Confused
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several hours scratching my head, un-wrapping the loom and swearing at the KH I found the the wiring problem today. A faulty fuse.

It looked OK, but the end cap had pulled off it so it would pass a small amount of current but broke down if I asked too much of it, like turning the headlight on. That with a bad earth, which made strange things happen with the flasher unit.

OK, now I've got to put everything back as it was and carry on. Sad
fazey
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell how did you spot that!
was searching hours for a solution to a wiring problem before i thought fuse.
blew 4 before i got the prob sorted.
went ott on eBay then and orded 50 Help
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I know I'm slow, but the KH250 wiring is still only nearly done. The indicator repeater had me foxed for a while, turns out it can't be done with an LED, as the current flows in a different direction depending if you indicate left or right. Sorted now by going back to a bulb. Dodgy earth on the parking light has delayed things too, and the instrument lights are resisting my will.

I've Insured it this afternoon. I was renewing the insurance on another bike and there was a box to tick to add an additional bike, so that's what I've done. Their look by registration didn't find the bike, but that might just be because it's been off the road for so long. Another £30 on top of my renewal has got it covered fully comp, no way a standalone policy with no No Claims would have been that cheap.

Hoping to finish wiring over the Christmas holidays, and MoT in January.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: