Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Coffeebaron's sweet lil espreso project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Coffeebaron's sweet lil espreso project Reply with quote

Hi to all the 2 smokers here, I've been out of the 2 stroke scene for some years now under a delusion that 4 strokes are more reliable and less costly....yeah... In the past i've owned a Cagiva Planet, an RS125 (my all time favourite bike I've owned after 14 years on the rode and some 20+ bikes later) and had the pleasure of trying a close friends 3XVsp (AMAZING)

So since that fog cleared, i've decided to place my head in the blue clouds again Smile

I've currently got a 1994 rs125 extrema, the real one with the rectangular headlight and full power rotax 123. It's currently in pieces awaiting some more financial injections to move it on, but i'm in no hurry.

Here we go with the pics!

yep, these pics are pretty lousy I know, but bear with me Smile this was the state it was in when I got it- £450 and it's a runner.

So I begun to strip it down, and this is the condition it was in...

The overall condition wasn't too bad- the bike had been in storage in spain for over a decade, where upon the owner had it imported back to the uk and was left at a dealers to sell. Most of the problems the bike has are a leaking fuel tank from the pet cock, the front forks are weeping, and the exhaust is rotten. Said exhaust is a period piece Arrow, and i'm in the process of having it reconditioned as the newer pipes don't offer up to the 123 barrel.

So I decided to check the engine anyway- top end off and piston removed- a miracle, the crank and bottom end were in good condition! no water damage, no play!

I rebuilt the top end, and had the frame and swingarm sandblasted and powder coated.

And this is where I'm at, I'm hoping to be able to purchase a new rear shock and the fork rebuild kit so I can get it back as a rolling chasis this winter Smile

I'll post more as I do it!

In the mean time I'm going to be haunting the NSR section and NSRworld as I'm looking to trade in my current ride-CBR600RR- for an MC18 once it arrives in on the next crate from Japan! Time to be a full time 2 stroke rider again!
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! Four-strokes are fine but you can't beat the real thing. Clap
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have you on board Coffeebaron Very Happy
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta for the welcome messages guys Smile I'll hopefully have some more to post as money allows, sadly my job as a parts guy at the local dealer doesn't pay a fortune Wink...and it's not an aprilia dealer lol
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start
Got a mito that I'm tidying up at the moment

Mike
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Mike, i've finally ordered a rear shock and the fork seals, oil seals etc in order to rebuild and fix a leak. May finally get it back into a rolling chasis before christmas!

Nice to hear about the Mito, was thinking about one of them myself as another bike/project. My friend had a 7 speed evo years ago, quality bikes with great handling, though I was much happier on the Aprilia.
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CB,

Good to know i'm not the only one who loves Rs125's.

I'm currently building one from parts, I would say its 80% complete at the mo but once I have it up & running, it will like yours be stripped back & erm...... restored? refurbed? not sure what to call it.

But I need your help fella, with the wiring loom & in particular its route.

It was only a few weeks back that I serviced two of the buggers, one a 99 model (like mine) & one a 01 model (also like mine Laughing )

But can I remember the loom routing No Idea

Any pics or descriptions you can provide will be appreciated. I have studied the pics you have already posted but it must be my eyes, cos I can't for the life of me make it out Laughing

Cheers in advance
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Howie!

Hope this isn't too late- been busy sorting bike funds to get another bike.

I'll have a check and see where mine routed, however could take a touch of time. If memory serves, the loom runs to the left and down the frame. On my 1994 the Reg rec/ecu were on the tail tidy at the rear of the subframe, i'll see if i've any pics I can post with some marks on them.

Yeah I've such fond memories of the 02' RS i owned, had my best biking moments on it! I was doing this up to sell, but at the rate I'm going may just keep it.

I've just got a shock and the fork seals and carb gaskets etc, so soon going to update.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, looked at pics- right hand side it runs down.
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers CB, your help is much appreciated Cool

Keep us all up to date with the build. As soon as I have a full bike, I will do the same.

If I get a moment, I'll pop some pics up of my bike.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Howie, once i've got my new bike sorted I will be resuming the worlds slowest refresh of an RS125 Smile

Would be great to see yours, hope to share trials and tribulations
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries CB,

I'm off to pick up a shed load more Rs parts tomorrow Dance

My plan is to get the bike up & running, do the legal nonsense & ride like a looney. Then strip it back down & restore (I don't really like the word restore, for some reason it seems to have taken on a whole new meaning, which I do not get Rolling Eyes ), so it will be a strip down & erm,

refurb?
renew?
refresh?

What is it called when you just strip a bike back & without painting/powder coating/plating everything in sight, just fix the bits that are wrong?

Does anyone do that anymore?
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, picked up a load more parts for my rs today, just lacking a rear wheel, undertray & side panels now.

But after speaking to the fella I bought the parts off, well erm........ I may be eating my words about not restoring the bike Embarassed

Having got home & had a good look through what I had bought & after seeing his almost immaculate rs, my mind naturally turned to powder coating & zinc plating.

Bugger, I thought, all I wanted to do was to fix one up & get it on the road & now...............bugger Evil or Very Mad I too want an immaculate rs. Bugger!

And anyway, that top engine mount bracket could do with a quick clean................ Rolling Eyes
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I know that feeling about 'restoring' Rolling Eyes

I started with grand ideas about creating either something different with a cafe racer look, then decided to just get it back to clean and original.....then I looked at how much it would cost Shocked

So back to your original idea of just fix and enjoy. I paid very little for it as was, and my goal was always to create a road legal running RS that I could always sell at a small profit....if I sold it.

I'll be interested to see where you take yours, please post some pics Smile

I'm due to start again on mine in the next couple of weeks- been busy at the dealership this last few weeks and I've just bought my new daily ride...sadly didn't go for a 2 stroke, but got a bike i've been after for a while...
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: An update...and one to follow with pics. Reply with quote

Well finally started some more work on the RS.

Got the seals for the forks, new circlips and set to dismantling and rebuilding them as per the haynes manual and my good friends prior knowledge.

For reference- anybody out there looking to rebuild the 1994 model, the forks are different to the 1995 onwards, as one side deals with dampening, one side the spring/compression, which causes the issue of the recommended oil levels being different to whats specified. Fortunately the stanchions have a hole cast in them, so the oil can only be filled so far.

I'm aiming to locate a workshop manual for the exterema at some point and check, but seems all went back together well and no more leaks Smile

Also got the steering stem pressed back in with new bearings, so next stage is to buy more bearings to get the engine in and the wheels and swingarm back on!

Pics to follow soon Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: