Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Possible NSR250 mc18 owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Possible NSR250 mc18 owner Reply with quote

Hey all, i'm currently looking to get back into being a full time 2 stroke rider and ditch the diesels. I've currently got a CBR600RR, but I'm really not getting the zest of a ride from it like I did back when I had my 125 strokers (going back a decade and some Embarassed )

It's a great bike, very fast, telepathic handling-it eggs me on at triple digits to lean harder and faster than is sane on the roads.

But I've come to conclusion I'm bored...not just bored of the CBR, but bored of 4 strokes and that in turn is making me bore of motorbikes. Not good.

So due to some fortune smiling down on me, I've managed to get the chance to change, and i'm looking to get an NSR250R, the MC18 to be precise.

So I'd like to know more from owners and long term riders. I'm not buying to cosset in a garage, it will be ridden daily, and not just in sunshine. But I've a lot of faith in Honda's and feel the NSR would be the best.

I'd be grateful for any and all replies, I've scoured NSRWORLD for info, but specs don't tell all Wink
kiwi mvx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, in addition to the MVX I also have a 1989 NSR 250 MC 18 R5K. This model was sold new in New Zealand for approx $ 10, 000 to race in the super competitive 250 production racing class. They immediately dominated the class and it wasn’t until the RGV 250 M came along that they really got challenged.

As you would expect the build quality was very good, matched to great performance and handling straight out of the box. In terms of reliability they were good however the cranks did have a finite life and at the time Honda sold complete new crank kits ready to go. Some 24 years later replacing a crank is no so easy, however not impossible. I am probably preaching to the converted however as is the case with every 2 stroke without a good crank you are wasting your time and money. There is also the opportunity to upgrade the suspension, wheels and clutch etc to the rare SP version which was only available in japan.

A two stroke 250 on the road sounds and feels so much faster than the equivalent diesel. ,
I cant say enough good things about the MC 18
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Kiwi mvx, so i'm correct in thinking that the cranks by and large are not able to be rebuilt? But this in general is their only major flaw from what you've experienced?

I'm led to belive they are amongst the more reliable 250's, I don't know if you could offer an opinion compared to the TZR engines (mainly the R1Z twin)

I'm fortunate to be near Fastline, and have a good relationship with them, so parts shouldn't be an issue. They have spare cranks for the mc18.

How long have you been giving between top end refresh/ crank swops?

Cheers for the advice Smile
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy one,you wont be disapointed mate Very Happy cranks can be rebuilt so you dont need to worry about that.build quality is the usual honda high standard
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pic si.likes.guiness! Very Happy nice to see one with signs of general use, gives hope that not all of them are show pieces (not that anythings inherently wrong with that)

That's good to know about the crank, looks like I'll have to keep getting myself psyched up- the bike I may purchase is coming into the uk around mid September.
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we use our bikes as the were intended mate Laughing i did have 4 nsr's Cool
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely drool worthy that collection- like the endurance headlight!
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i still had them all now mate,i would have a few quids worth of bikes Laughing the endurance fairing was on an mc 21 se,a mk1 mc18 and 2 mc 21 sp's in pentax (the best colour) in my opinion of course Cool the first sp in the pic i still have and owned since 1999.looks a bit different now though Very Happy
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I know that folly all too well- had some great bikes over the years and wish I'd never sold them or traded them looking back, but at the time seemed what I wanted....foolish me.

The 21 looks a fair bit different- kinda RS250 like. I still prefer the MC18 stock, but I like the slightly disjointed look from the frame and swingarm on the 21 Cool
kiwi mvx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify my statement about MC 18 cranks. Yes they can be rebuilt however the problem is the crank pins that the conrods connect too start to wear and due to the crank pin being an integral part of the crank web often one or both sides of the crank are not able to be used. Between myself and my mates we have pulled apart many cranks in an effort to match up a good pair of crank pins,. Based on our experience out of three cranks you pull apart you might be able to make one good one but I guess that is not surprising given the age of the bikes and the sort of punishment they are usually given. Having said that the cranks are very well made when compared to other two stroke engines of the era.

They still come up for sale new on Yahoo Japan from time to time although they are never cheap. I'm not really sure how many km or hours you should expect to get from a engine rebuild however in the day I recall them being very reliable given they were extensively raced. Unfortunately I don't think mine currently gets enough use to wear it out.

Just out of interest Coffee baron what model MC 18 are you looking at?
If you get a R5K model many of the MC 21 engine parts are interchangeable, which is a bonus.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for explaining the reasons why I'd heard the cranks could be an issue. It would indeed be an R5K dude, but a basic not the SP. I've been advised of good parts availability at Fastline for the cranks etc, so I'm feeling fairly confident in it.

I've heard they are pretty damn tough bikes the NSR's, though I'm a little torn on going for this or possibly an R1Z. The better pillion accomodation and simpler engine are an appeal...but the NSR is designed for quick strip down and I've far more faith in Honda....

Damn choices lol!
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem you ever have with nsr cranks,is if theyve been stood for years,the crank seals will need replacing.dont ask how i know Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeebaron wrote:
I'm a little torn on going for this or possibly an R1Z ... Damn choices lol!

You've not been on this forum long Coffeebaron so we'll let you off. But the correct thing to do is to buy both. Obviously.

Innocent
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've not been on this forum long Coffeebaron so we'll let you off. But the correct thing to do is to buy both. Obviously.

Aye aye sir! Shocked I'll just have to tell my Mrs that we can't eat this next couple of months so I can get both Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: