Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Classic Stroker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cadwell test day was challenging, first battery discharged itself (fortunately had a replacement) then a broken wire needed repair. She wouldn't keep running and cards flooded badly. Stripping carbs proved float jets had been contaminated by crud.

Got her running but wouldn't rev.

A week later established that float heights were incorrect and I strongly suspect a crankshaft seal has popped ... I'll replace the lot while I'm there.

Who would have a stroker ...!
emzedder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yam has to go to make space for a road bike .... time for a change ... if anyone is interested ...
James P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
The Yam has to go to make space for a road bike .... time for a change ... if anyone is interested ...

What a shame Sad . Since it is actually an RD200, can't you just get it registered for road use??? Very Happy

Regards,
James
emzedder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered that but thought the whole process of registering was a bit of a chore. It is so non standard even an owners club wouldn't authenticate as an RD for a given year? Appreciate any experiences to the contrary.
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why they won't authenticate it. They only go on the frame number. I have a booklet some where of all Yamaha frame numbers and dates. This is useful to make sure they give you the correct date. Otherwise call up Yamaha and ask them for a dating certificate. It costs a little more but they will give you the exact date of manufacture.
James P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw114 wrote:
I have a booklet some where of all Yamaha frame numbers and dates. This is useful to make sure they give you the correct date.

Here's one in PDF: http://www.vmaxforum.dk/documents/Modell_Index_1958_-_2008.pdf

There are a few different model codes for RD200 (including 581, 585, 1E8, 1H6, 1H9, 1J1, 1J2, 1W9, 2R7 and 2V2), although some of these share the same frame number prefix.
This info should be enough to tell you (emzedder) with certainty which year your bike was made for.

Regards,
James
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that James P ... unfortunately it is a 3L2 so actually an RS frame which rather makes this unviable as there is virtually no commonality (engine and carb setup completely different etc). Not that the handling (on track days) shows anything different to an RD but maybe any subtle difference in rake compensated by non std forks etc. Looks pretty close to me.
James P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
...unfortunately it is a 3L2 so actually an RS frame which rather makes this unviable as there is virtually no commonality...

Does it really matter whether it is an RD or an RS? As long as it has a frame number which does not appear tampered with, you should be able to get it registered...shouldn't you?
If it doesn't really suit your needs as a road bike, I suppose you must pass it on. However, it would be a shame to get rid of it if it could be registered and used on the road.

Let us know what you decide!

Regards,
James
emzedder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will give it a go with the Yamaha OC or VMCC, worth a try
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: