Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New member in Aus with MVX250
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richie rich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: New member in Aus with MVX250 Reply with quote

Hi there, first post as a member so thought I'd say hi. Have lurked around this site for a while as I own a few '80's two strokes and I've recognized a few members on this forum from other forums as it seems it's a small world after all!

Anyway, finally joined up as I made an impulse purchase last week of a bike I've always kinda liked the styling of and despite it's abysmal reputation (or perhaps because of it) has always been on my (admittedly rather long) wish list. The Practical Sportsbikes story on one also played a part too...Behold the mighty MVX250....

I bought it direct from an importer over here in Aus and to be honest probably paid too much for it but complete ones seem to be impossible to find and I also seem to gravitate to red/black bikes....

Here's a few pics from the warehouse in Japan (not great photos sorry):

It won't actually arrive in Aus until the middle of the year which is great considering:
A. I haven't yet quite got the funds sorted
B. I don't have any room in the garage and...
C. The wife has no idea that I've bought another old shitter (her words)

The paint work on the seat cowl doesn't seem to match the rest of the bike and it's got the wrong colour seat on it too (should be black) but apparently its very tidy overall, I'll guess I'll have t wait and see.

One thing I was hoping perhaps some other MVX owners could shed some light on was the factory body kit that I've seen some bikes with. I like the idea of tracking down the radiator shrouds and bellpan and see plenty for sale through Yahoo Japan but I'm assuming they need some sort of mounting brackets also?

When it gets here the MVX will share the garage with the other '80's two stroke 250's with weird / unusual engine configurations - a tandem twin KR250 and reverse cylinder TZR2503MA.

Cheers, Richard
BRG1200

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry!
I'm starting a new business!
It's hiding the bikes that Ministers Of War and Finance don't yet know about!
I think it's a stroke (pun intended) of genius.
Hide your illicit bike purchases with me until you've saved up enough to slip it into the garage after covering your tracks Wink
Only downside is I live in South Australia Rolling Eyes
veroli1994
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hire an industrial unit and hide them all like i have done lol.
rgv250m
rs250
mb5
nps 50
or50
rd80mx
ke100
rd125lc
mbx125fe
gas gas ec200
Laverda 650
749r
zx7r-p6
yzf750r
vfr800
gsxr750wt
nuda 900r
tl1000s
fzr400rrsp
vfr400rn
cbr400rr
zxr400l5
gsxr400m
big one
BRG1200

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to your evil genius Not Worthy
May your wives be as beautiful as your camels and your camels as hard working as your wives.
abar121

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, another rare twin. Welcome.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abar121 wrote:
Lovely, another rare twin.

V3. Wink
BRG1200

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee hee. Twin, love it Smile

Don't worry, when you can't get the parts anymore you could probably shoe-horn a YPVS in there. Wink
BRG1200

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a VT250 way back when, shares a lot of parts with this bike, VT was too complicated for its own good, YPVS motor would've been great in that.
Looking forward to hearing how that Honda triple goes.
abar121

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
abar121 wrote:
Lovely, another rare twin.

V3. Wink

Lol, sorry. I shouldn't have had those beers at lunch Smile
Richie rich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and advice on 'handling' the 'illegal' purchases - as if I need the encouragement or more options that enable me to buy more bikes, have too many already - although not by veroli1994's standards!
Richie rich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRG1200 wrote:
I had a VT250 way back when, shares a lot of parts with this bike, VT was too complicated for its own good, YPVS motor would've been great in that.
Looking forward to hearing how that Honda triple goes.

I'm sure the MVX will be mistaken for VT many times these days, though both bikes are pretty rare now - can't recall the last time I saw an early model VT250...

I think the '80's was such an interesting period for Honda who just seemed to be totally in a 'look at what we can do phase' pushing out weird and wonderful bikes, sometimes so overly complicated with no obvious benefit. The MVX definitely fell into that category....
smokestack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome over here Richie, probally the best site for MVX info. I get guys walking past mine and saying another VT250 what the why has it got 3 pipes and then you get to have a good laugh watching them try to figure it out.
Pat
BRG1200

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of surprised when people really do get those two bikes mixed up (joking aside), they do share the front and rear ends as far as I can see, but everything in between only has a vague family resemblance.
VT250's are alive and well and still a current model down here in Australia, albeit the model with a Monsteresque trellis frame. Quite a few early survivors about as well, including the full fairing Integra versions.
I guess they ironed out the motor as it first hit the streets in Japan in 1983 - not a bad production run.
Shame they didn't manage to do similar with a two stroke.
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New member in Aus with MVX250 Reply with quote

Richie rich wrote:
Hi there, first post as a member so thought I'd say hi. Have lurked around this site for a while as I own a few '80's two strokes and I've recognized a few members on this forum from other forums as it seems it's a small world after all!

Anyway, finally joined up as I made an impulse purchase last week of a bike I've always kinda liked the styling of and despite it's abysmal reputation (or perhaps because of it) has always been on my (admittedly rather long) wish list. The Practical Sportsbikes story on one also played a part too...Behold the mighty MVX250....

I bought it direct from an importer over here in Aus and to be honest probably paid too much for it but complete ones seem to be impossible to find and I also seem to gravitate to red/black bikes....

Here's a few pics from the warehouse in Japan (not great photos sorry):

It won't actually arrive in Aus until the middle of the year which is great considering:
A. I haven't yet quite got the funds sorted
B. I don't have any room in the garage and...
C. The wife has no idea that I've bought another old shitter (her words)

The paint work on the seat cowl doesn't seem to match the rest of the bike and it's got the wrong colour seat on it too (should be black) but apparently its very tidy overall, I'll guess I'll have t wait and see.

One thing I was hoping perhaps some other MVX owners could shed some light on was the factory body kit that I've seen some bikes with. I like the idea of tracking down the radiator shrouds and bellpan and see plenty for sale through Yahoo Japan but I'm assuming they need some sort of mounting brackets also?

When it gets here the MVX will share the garage with the other '80's two stroke 250's with weird / unusual engine configurations - a tandem twin KR250 and reverse cylinder TZR2503MA.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Rich,

A belated welcome to DS from another MVX owner on the other side of the planet.

I guess you haven't got your bike yet so still waiting to find out the good bits and bad, but I've just got mine out of hibernation so will take a few pics of the brackets and hardware to mount the rad cowls and belly pan.

Can you post some pix of your KR250 and 3MA??? Smile

Cheers,

Darin
Mr FFF

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: MVX = VT Reply with quote

The rear VT wheel does fit ok but it has a smaller drum brake which isnt a problem as long as you get th right shoes Smile

Valves are for toilets unless they are power valves.
Claim to fame. Have beeten Casey Stoner over a championship season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: