Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Tachometer for SDR200...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James P

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Tachometer for SDR200...? Reply with quote

I will hopefully become an SDR200 owner in the next few months. Can anyone recommend a suitable tacho which can be adapted?

The most suitable tacho would be one that doesn't look out of place. Has anyone tried a tacho from another Yamaha? It may be possible to connect one from (for example) a TZR 1KT/2MA to the wire between the CDI and PV controller - anyone done this?

Another option may be to fit the entire instrument panel (including the temperature gauge) from the TZR 1KT/2MA. Opinions, advice and benefits of experience welcome!

Thanks & regards,
James
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I have thought about this for my SDR and if you look at the srx400/600 set up i think it looks good, problem is their tacho is cable driven, but the bracketry should be the same to accept a similar size tacho.

I thought maybe a TDR250 one would look ok also, its just finding one at the right money.

wiring it in should be straight forward, it will pick up from the cdi and obviously have a 12v pos and neg. Let us know if you do it and what you use, pictures also please!!

Justin
James P

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Justin. I haven't even got the bike yet, so its early days! I will put up some photos of whatever arrangement(s) I end up with.

I have seen photos of SDRs with add-on tachos next to the standard speedo and also of others where the entire instrument panel from another Yamaha has been grafted on. I'm inclined to go with the first option, because I'd like to keep the bike as reasonably standard as possible (its usually cheaper that way Laughing ). A TDR tacho may be suitable - I'll have a look...

Unless anyone else can suggest a simpler solution, I think I'll try a TZR 1KT tacho and temperature gauge first (mainly because I already have a spare 1KT instrument panel). The only thing which makes this option not ideal is that the tacho may be a bit too large (I'll find out in due course). I may also decide to go for a digital temperature gauge, or perhaps an analogue one with proper temperature graduations (rather than just normal and high zones).

In the meantime, I'd be glad to hear suggestions of any other Yamahas which have a round tacho, smaller than an SDR speedo. Ideally the red zone on the scale plate would start around 10000rpm, but that is not essential.

Thanks in advance & regards,
James
m.eckert77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mates,

you can't use TDR/TZR/RD/RZ 250/350 tachos. as they are two cylinders with wasted spark ignition the tachos are getting 2 signals per rev.
If you use it on a single like the SDR it will show you just the half revolutions.
Furthermore all those tachos are using HV signals from the CDI ignition output / ign. coil primary side.

For the case you are using an Ignitech ignition DC-CDI-P2 you have the possibility to choose an tacho output with HV or 12V and you can even set the impulses per rev.

On a SDR I would never remove the really pretty speedo to replace it with any 2MA cockpit what would look really ugly.

Grab the SRX speedo and tacho holder and use a small electronic tacho e.g. from KOSO.
My personal favourite is a combined instrument like this here:
https://www.louis.de/artikel/digital-cockpit/10034806
This could replace the speedo as it has nearly the same diameter.
James P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.eckert77 wrote:
...you can't use TDR/TZR/RD/RZ 250/350 tachos. as they are two cylinders with wasted spark ignition the tachos are getting 2 signals per rev.

On a SDR I would never remove the really pretty speedo to replace it with any 2MA cockpit what would look really ugly.

Grab the SRX speedo and tacho holder and use a small electronic tacho e.g. from KOSO.
My personal favourite is a combined instrument like this here:
https://www.louis.de/artikel/digital-cockpit/10034806
This could replace the speedo as it has nearly the same diameter.

Hmm...good point. A TZR125 tacho will likely work, but none of the ones I've seen are really what I want. I also looked at TZR50 tachos, unitl I realised they are mechanical drive Embarassed !

I'd prefer to keep the standard SDR speedo and mount the additional instruments around it. For a temperature gauge, I'll be using either a standard TDR250 item or a Scitsu, unless some other suitable alternative presents itself. I'll also be using an EGT & CHT gauge (50mm diameter), so there are a lot of extras to accommodate!

That digital cockpit instrument looks interesting. However, I'd rather steer away from anything digital, as I prefer analogue gauges. Back to the drawing board then...

Regards,
James
smokestack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your bike in Steve's shop today James. That's a good project there and all the parts seem to be there.
James P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokestack wrote:
I saw your bike in Steve's shop today James. That's a good project there and all the parts seem to be there.

Yes Pat - I'm hoping it won't need much more than dismantling, cleaning up and putting back together! I'll probably do my usual modifications (remove oil pump and use premix fuel, replace vacuum fuel tap with on-off-reserve item, replace battery with capacitor assembly) and I may have to get the fork stanchions re-hard-chromed (I'll have a better idea once I take delivery). I may need to get a bit of fastener replating done and will probably have the engine case and associated parts wet-bead-blasted & burnished. I'm hoping the light rust spots on the frame will polish away...time will tell.

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post deleted here Embarassed !
mboddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind coming to have a look when I am next in Sydney at end of November.
smokestack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a stainless engine case bolt set from Webike last week for mine and had to get a new front master cylinder too. All is good now but the fuel tap is leaking so that has to go too.
smokestack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a stainless engine case bolt set from Webike last week for mine and had to get a new front master cylinder too. All is good now but the fuel tap is leaking so that has to go too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: