Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My New 4-Stroke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: My New 4-Stroke Reply with quote

My CB1000R has gone, replaced with something a little more unusual, and more in keeping with DS, but hopefully just as reliable as the Honda was...

It's an MV Agusta Brutale 800, three cylinder. I've done a little over 500 miles now, in for first service tomorrow.

Last edited by arlurt on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you getting on with the MV?

Looks like ariel have copied the design with their new Ace...?
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased with the MV but ashamed to say I've only done 60 miles since it was serviced. I managed 600 miles in four weeks to get it to first service, then work and weather have stopped me riding it since.

Best bits are the styling, the engine, the noise and the handling. The niggles, such as they are... The seat is a bit hard, and riding position is surprising wrist-heavy for an "upright" bike with this sort of styling. Riding in slow traffic or town, it's almost as uncomfortable as my 2006 Fireblade was. It does vibrate a bit, and handlebars can buzz at certain speeds giving me pins and needles at legal motorway speeds. Finally, the finishing could be better in places, sharp flashings on some of the molded or die-cast parts, routing of wiring and control cables is a bit untidy.

These niggles are small compared the positives, I mustn't forget that MV are a low volume manufacturer, and that's partly why I bought it. I wanted something different, with character, and that's what I've got.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll looks the business and definitely has character in spades. Very nice Surprised)
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what those brilliant Italian stylists missed...

Somewhere to put my top box. Very Happy

And my soon to be patented "D" Lock holder, as there no where else on the bike it'll fit! No such thing as "under-seat" storage on this bike.

OK, I accept that an MV shouldn't really have a top-box, but it's a pragmatic solution for going away on the bike. The first time I went on a biking holiday I used a rucksac, soon learnt you don't want to be doing distance on a sports bike with one of those. I used throw overs and bungees and cargo nets for years but the luggage never really stayed where it was supposed to, it would take ages to load up, and paitwork inevitably got rubbed and scuffed by ties and bags. So ten years ago I bought a cheap second-hand top box that's served well ever since. Heading to the ferry at five in the morning, it's one click and you're loaded up and away. I'm going to the Ulster GP next month so needed to get sorted out a bit ahead of the event. You can't buy a Givi rack for a Brutale so I've had to make my own out of the old CB1000R rack. It's come out OK, but if I'd known how long it was going to take me I might have just got the throw-overs out of the loft! Now I need to do a few miles loaded up to make sure it's all up to the job.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
my soon to be patented "D" Lock holder, as there no where else on the bike it'll fit!

Looks neat. Don't forget to take the key out... Very Happy
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I'm happy with the D-Lock idea. It'll probably be used more for locking helmets up than the bike, but at least it's a bit of a deterent to a would-be theif.

I went for a little spin on the MV last night, by 'ek it handles like a pig with ony 20 psi in the front tyre! It was so bad I only went to the end of the village, then turned round to do something about it. First bike I've had that uses the same pressuere in both tyres, 33psi. Certainly seems to suit it though, it was transformed once they had the right amount of air in them. I've done less than a hundred miles since the bike had it's first service, and fifty of those were coming home from the dealer. It's about time I found out what it does when you rev it a bit...! Very Happy

I need to do a few miles with some weight in the box to make sure it doesn't upset anything too badly. The rack couldn't go any lower, it would hide the back light. And it can't go any further forward or you can't get the seat off, so there wasn't much scope in making up the rack. As a home-hacked solution I'm quite pleased with it.
wizbit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
It does vibrate a bit, and handlebars can buzz at certain speeds giving me pins and needles at legal motorway speeds.

I'm reminded of when Honda v-twins were so smooth they had to build some vibration in to give them a bit of "character". And the Italians.......well Rolling Eyes Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough space in the garage so I've had a change around. Two out...

And one in...

I'm missing the Buell, I had it for a few years and liked it's quirkyness, but the bikes were jammed in that tight I couldn't get any of 'em out.

The new MV is very good, it's got to be, that's my reliable holiday tour bike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: