Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

350 mito
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Specials / Hybrids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbopresh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: 350 mito Reply with quote

A few of my mito 350 ypvs hybrid project which is very very near to completion now.. I can post the progress thread from another forum in here if there is any interest in seeing it..

gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
GP exit exhaust look great.

Would love a link to the build thread, please.
turbopresh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107689

the only one that doesnt require a login to view is on there buddy Smile although its not showing the images just the links.. i'll get a minute over the weekend and paste a build thread in here as it should be for those that dont want to have to click to view the images.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the build thread please !!

I bet it's a absolute cracker to ride Surprised)
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sir can we have some more sir
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may be aware i recently purchased myself a little mito off planter on the forum here... i've always fancied one of these little bikes, I just love the styling of them, like a little 916. After owning a rs125 for a short while, albeit one that was lacking compression, I don't think a road based 125 2-stroke will be as durable or as powerful as I would like. I want something I can use on quite a regular basis that will be nice and reliable and also have a bit of hoke about it.. and most importantly have that sweet 2-stroke smell and sound.. and something that is even more importantly that little bit special..

so anyway, here is the bike as she was delivered by young mr. rea

first mistake was letting karl(acid) come round for a look lol

once the motor was out it was time to start sourcing the parts required for the build, but in the mean time I decided to get stuck in to polishing the frame and swingarm. Have to say a big thanks to r1andy for lending me his polishing machine, I'm nearly done with it I promise! lol

at first I was having trouble getting the protective "alodine" coating off the frame..

after a few hours trawling the net and pulling my hair out trying to buff through it, I finally stumbled upon a little secret which took the frame from this..

to this..

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go all out bling with the polishing on the frame atleast for now so I finished it off with a brush finish using a uni-direction sanding method..
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next item on the agenda was the swingarm... so out she comes..

more sanding and paint stripping..

and she's starting to take shape...

still having some issues removing this streaking from the polished finish, but for now it's back in the bike awaiting everything else to get her built up before i give all the shiny bits their final buff..
at this stage I decided to start making the necessary modifications to the frame in order to fit the motor of choice..

the mount kit for the engine arrived at this stage.. it's a bit tasty Razz

and here's all the bits laid out ready to start mocking up the motor in the frame after a trip to k&m
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst modifying the frame I also took a trip to the hospital to have my head checked to see if I did infact have some sort of issue for starting this project.. and well, it seems i don't have a brain! certainly explains alot lol

also managed to grab a set of micron gp-style pipes to go along with the project.. these are in really good condition for their age..

the stingers were looking a little bit worse for wear though, and i'd spotted a few exhaust stickers I liked on ebay so I decided to trace them and get them mocked up alongside giving the end cans a bit of a rub down and polish up to get them back to a more satisfactory finish..

and both of them finished along with their period micron stickers applied..

after occupying myself with some more polishing lol I then pulled the front end out of the bike and brought it upstairs in order to test fit the motor in the frame in the warmth of the house Razz

she's not sitting 100% straight here.. I fired the swingarm in and took a few measurements making sure I was happy with the alignment of the engine in the frame.. getting the motor sitting where it needed to be... took alot of sweat, tears, tea and swearing but I finally got there in the end! and the bike went of to get the mounts welded to the frame and each other where appropriate..

after more swearing, hammering, blood and more tears this is how she sits now..

currently awaiting gaskets coming in to hursts so i can start putting the top end on the motor and also waiting for k&m to re-open so i can get bolts of the appropriate length and size to enable me to actually be able to fit the top end, as i used a variety of random bolts in mocking it up and they're too long and look like crap lol

will update when i have more progress to report Smile
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postman dropped off a few goodies and collected gaskets from hursts..

head and base gaskets, powervalve oil seals and lower engine mounts Smile

spent a few hours cleaning and building the carbs back up.. now sitting like this Smile

finally got down to k&m and got the stainless issue sorted lol..

looks a million times better, still have to replace/repair that side casing as it was melted slightly in an oversight during the mounts being welded up lol..

though and behold i have forgot to order bloody circlips and small end bearings, so have to wait for these to come in now! Sad
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started lapping the barrels and head yesterday evening and prepping the barrels and head for paint..

Before and after..

And stripping the paint of the head.. What a nightmare, nitromors is properly crap these days so its taking a lot of attacking with scotchbrites Aswell as nitromors and other paint a strippers on the head..

This is her atm.. Still more work to do..
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the barrels a lick of paint.. Was going to assemble them and put them on the bottom end until I realised I was missing a few retainers for the power valves so now have to wait for retainers to come in.. Also need to get screws to secure the powervalve covers etc..

the head now done for the second time.. looking much better!

just to paint the ypvs logos Smile

The black paint around the edges of the mito headlights was completely goosed and starting to flake.. So I stripped it off and repainted them..
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so rings landed today.. Ordered from pjme..

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_RD350_YPVS_Engine_Parts_Top_End_.html

so spent a bit of time putting the top end on the bike.. few photos..

the new vs old small ends..

pistons in and circlipped..

was having some clearance issues with the cylinder drain plugs..

a bit of fettling later and both cylinders are on

mocking up the exhausts very loosely.. the exhaust flanges need reduced a few mm and im not sure on the ground clearance..

shes in bits again.. threw some gearbag oil at her and it started leaking out of the clutch cover as there was no gasket in there which i hadn't noticed lol.. so here is how she sits at the moment.. have a big list on ebay, in my shopping cart waiting to be purchased to finish plumbing everything up and a few more bits on order from hursts.. so fingers crossed she will be being kicked into life for the first time in a few weeks!

as for the airbox mate i haven't really thought about it, probably order up a standard box.. chop the shit out of it and run sponge type pod filters within it..
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made up a bracket for the coils today.. cheers to Sam for the materials required Smile

All mounted up.

Also got the pv servo mounted too..

Cables are a bit tight.. but should squeeze ok..

Just loosely set them in the general area of where they need to be..

pulled the oil pump apart today, seems to be in good enough order of service..

neatly arranged on the breakfast bar awaiting gaskets coming in from hursts...
turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these arrived this morning..

ut a ratchet strap round the front and ratchetted the bag out of it to make sure the front wheel would clear them..

seems as if someone has already reduced the airgap in the fork significantly as thats as hard as i could get them compressed and they're no where near the end of their travel.. which is fair enough as this would be something that I would have to do anyway..

clearance is tight enough there.. fingers crossed i can get away with it.. (the photo doesn't really show the clearance tbh but theres enough room to get a hand in edgeways there!)

only other obstacle is that now the right hand rearset won't fit!!
[URL=http://s442.photobucket.com/user/turbopresh/media/20130830_122942_zps5119df42.jpg.html]
[/URL]

but on the plus side it gives an additional inch of ground clearance compared to the micron gp pipes and also these are much much lighter.. still not as nice a fit as I would like..
But can hardly complain for the price of them.. and I should be able to make a wee profit on the micron gp pipes aswell Smile

Exhausts are now for sale again.. going a different route with them..

Starting into the fun stuff over the next few days..

Wee bracket to hold the pv controller and cdi in the making..

Finished making up bracket for the pv servo and cdi.. neatly contained under the seat..

Covered in metal.. and bogging.. but think it will do the job nicely..

Underestimated the amount of material I'd need and so the right hand hole didn't have enough meat in it to tap and heli coil it.. not too bad though considering I've never done any sheet metal work in my life lol

Made a start on the electrics the other night.. [br][br][br]During which I discovered that the loom dictates that the rectifier is quite a bit further forward than I'd anticipated.. but then I thought it's 've a great idea to make up a bracket and in the name of mass centralisation mount it to the oil/water tank lol[br][br][br][br]I managed to fill in with a second loom in great condition and decided to use this as the basis for the wiring.. although it transpired that some of the connectors of the electrical components had been changed at some point and didn't match up with the new loom.. and so.. [br][br][br][br]Started into to replacing all the duff connectors and tidying up the back of the loom and so far it's looking like this.. still a fair bit to do.. but starting small and working up to the hard part lol [br][br]

turbopresh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripped and rebuilt the carbs again today, as the slides felt a bit gritty.. having been aware that these had been soda blasted prior to coming to me I ultrasonically cleaned them, and cleaned with again afterwards with some carb cleaner down all the passages and airways..
Anyway after pulling them off the bike and starting into them, I blew the carb cleaner up through one of the carb oil feed inlets and low and behold.. a mountain of the blast media shot up out of it into the carb. Thank god i'd the sense to clean them a 2nd time to ensure they were no longer contaminated.. that would have done some serious damage to the barrel, head and throttle slide..

unfortunately my phone camera hasn't been working since I received it back from being repaired so no photos.. I couldn't quite believe the amount of crap stuck down there..

Anyway they are back in the bike, the throttle is now run up and adjusted.. going to have to get the finger out shortly and get back into the wiring.. I think one more full night should hopefully finish or atleast put another good sized dent in it anyway Smile

These arrived today, to sort out the front mount..

replacing this which has been in situ since the engine was thrown in..

so job jobbed...

I then had a look at the clutch, I'd made a cable up to suit this the previous night...

but for some reason it felt as if the clutch was not disengaging for some reason, so i pulled the side cover off again.. i've ordered some new clutch bolts to replace the mismatched ones that were in situ..

also when checking the clutch springs it seems as if either the originals are completely knackered or are not original..
here are the specs;

and here is the measurement of the clutch springs..

all were in and around this figure

also decided to have a go at making some spacers to facilitate the reversed orientation of the anti-vibe bars on the motor..

but i managed to totally feck these up so i have enlisted the help of another individual to salvage the rest of the bar into some serviceable spacers for me using a lathe (which i really need to get one of my own)

also after rebuilding the oil pump myself and not being 100% happy with the action of the piston, I sent it to be looked at by a guy called "arrow"/gary that knows these pumps well.. It came back like a new pin.. not worth the risk in my book.. being happy that i gave it a go myself.. but having a second opinion gave me piece of mind..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Specials / Hybrids All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: