Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New to forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevebrown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: New to forum Reply with quote

Hi All, Just a post to introduce myself as I have just joined the forum. After owning more recent bikes such as GSXR K7 and a RSV1000 I have found myself at near 40 years of age yearning for a old 2 stroke as I remember yeaning over when I was a kid. I was looking for an RGV250 but when I see an old RG250 gamma import I decided I had to have it and embark on my first restoration.

I have repaired and cosmetically restored a few bikes before but this will be the biggest challenge to date and to be honest admit I have a lot to learn.

I am planning to at first get the bike running and in a condition to get the bike M.O.T' d so I can apply for a UK registration before hopefully restoring the bike further (I have never registered a bike before and also a bit nervous something may go wrong)

Any information or advice I would greatly appreciate, at present the bike seems to have good compression, but has been idle for some time, I was thinking of battery plugs simple carb clean and them attempting a start up and check if the clutch/gears work? then attempting the brakes which seem seized?

If anyone has any other advice or precautions to take I would love to hear. hopefully I can put some pics on soon

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Neve
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, sounds a good project, get some pics up as well, was it the red/black Gamma off fleabay? Last version?? with 3 spokes??
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Neve. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here, there's a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people who'll be delighted to help you put another Gamma back on the road. Thumbs Up
nevebrown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There, Thanks for the nice welcome and replies. I found the bike on Bike Trader but may have been on Ebay too. Hope the pic works, this was the day I got the bike as you can see from my grin lol, I never see the bike previous and as always it looked in beter condition in the ads. The visible frame all looks good and think I may be able to avoid a frame repaint (fingers crossed).

I've not really had chance to look much beneath the fairing as been building a temporary shed after work to restore the bike in, but the bad points ive noticed so far, as well as obviously being a non runner are:

hairline cracking around top fairing where mirrors mount, front brake not working, lever just loose, rear brake sticking on, callipers gold paint turned to powder, front forks powder finish flaking off and some pitting, main seat is from a blue late/early model and looks like old seat catch broke off and is stuck in seat lock, no mirrors, general fixtures and fittings rusty and pitted. NO KEYS arghhh.

The lower fairing is held on with cable ties and I would be grateful to know what the fixings look like so I can maybe reproduce some. I guess they are like oval brackets that breach the two sections and bolt up, but never seen one?

Good points = Its a RG Gamma, lol, oh and overall the fairing is pretty tidy and all present.
nevebrown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, just been looking through older posts about the MK3 resto and found a post from CROFTY in 2008 showing what the lower fairing brackets look like, they are kinda like what I imagined but would like the actual measurements so I can have some remade, they look to have a bend in them?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those colours ! Cool

I'd be trying to get it running as quickly and cheaply as possible - flush out the tank and carbs, fresh fuel, new plugs, kick it until it starts (or your leg falls off). Bet it's fine. Not sure you'll even need a battery to get it running ?

After that you can sort the brakes, suspension, lights and anything else needed to get it through an MOT.

I can't help you with the registration process but you'll want to do that before spending any serious money on a cosmetic restoration etc.

They always look better in photos than in the metal, but it looks like a great start. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Very Happy

(Ha ! I got forum post No.11000, that'll annoy Top-Shaggy... Taunt )
nevebrown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's the kind of advice I need as completely new to 2 strokes, in fact just realised I've never owned a kick start only bike lol even my EXC had electric start as well as kick. When I first see the colour I wasn't too impressed because I had blue and white in mind but now I really like it, it's grown on me. I'm hopefully taking the ignition off to get a key cut soon so hope it's not too much hassle. Then I'll try all you said with fingers crossed lol and see what happens.

Thanks again Neve
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neve, I like the colours too. Every old gamma seems to be in Blue white and although I like those too.. Yours really stands out as Diff'rent Surprised)

I would follow SB's advice and get it running first, motd and enjoy it (if you can / it lets you... It's a two stroke after all with a mind if it's own, lol). Then rebuild it as time / money permits..

Welcome and look forward to future pictures out n about Wink
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:

(Ha ! I got forum post No.11000, that'll annoy Top-Shaggy... Taunt )

Thread Drift Nono

Oooh.. Funny but I've never taken much notice of the total number of posts thing.. But just looked and in less posts that Strokerboys age.. I will get my own back.. Heehee

Up Yours Doh !
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and nice bike!, and i like the colourscheme too,
Agree with everyone else about getting it regd before spending any silly money, should all be fine but nice to have that document in your hand first!
My mate completely rebuilt a tzr 250 3ma then decided to apply for the logbook, it came through ok but the worry while waiting wasnt worth it!
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Its the Japanese Domestic Market color

Think you have the combination fuel/temp gauge on it and the warning light with the Japanese letters that comes on when you reach 80 km/h

I can take pics of the brackets you need

Cant get the pics on here

send me your Email and i will try to help

Erik

It will start without the batery
but i would go for a fresh one so you can check if everything works as it should

There is no "sound" from the powervalve motor when you turn the ignition on so don't worry..........
nevebrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah im a bit nervous about the registration but it came in through a reputable dealer and I have the Nova code to prove tax was paid and a letter of construction with the date and frame/engine no on. Im going to do exactly as everyone has advised though and hopefully get it through the MOT first so I can get the log book in hand.

Thanks for the info Bitacticus, I would love some close up pics of the brackets and maybe some measurements if poss, I have searched the web but they are not available anywhere and would like to make some as close to original as poss.

My email Is nevebrown33@outlook.com

Ive put the roof on my temporary shed now so pushed the bike in and had a can of beer to celebrate and had a good look round the bike last night. I gently kicked over the engine a few times just to check it again then the kick start stuck, I thought it was seized but put it in gear and pushed it a bit then was able to turn it over again Shocked ?? is this ok or a problem?.

Thanks again
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mail send with measurements of big bellypan bracket
little ones will be this weekend

Erik
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt kick it over too much at least not untill you have either looked at the bores or at least got some oil in there, they might not be that well lubricated if its been stood a long while, might be fine but its something id do, id probably start with dropping all the coolant out of it too and starting with fresh, its not that expensive and rarely gets changed, to be honest id probably do the gearbox oil too!
While the coolant is drained whip the heads off and have a nose, i dont know anything about these engines so it may well be a bit tricky to get the heads off but im sure someone here can enlighten you, theses are just some things id do with an unknown engine, can get get an idea of how it has been looked after, ie already rounded bolts or mismatched bolts suggest a less then perfect previous stripdown along with signs of instant gasket and milky water or oil suggest a seal has gone internally etc
Hope this helps
eyrey1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks a nice bike now , love the colors
you should be happy its got no parts missing especially the fairings as
a few on the 2 stroke forum have done these up and struggled for certain parts ,so go steady stripping it as you dont want to damage anything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: