Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Incoming New GAG Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capelo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Incoming New GAG Day Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

As some of you know, I missed a MkI NSR Mini on eBay three weeks ago. Well, the bike was back on sale earlier this week, so decided to give it a second chance. I offered slightly more than what her current owner payed and he said YES! So tomorrow, I will be collecting my first GAG!!

The bike was imported from Japan and has no V5, only import certificate.

My current plan is as follows:

First step: request a YoM and VIN from Honda. I still need to do some more research on what paperwork is needed to register the bike here in the UK, so any pointers/tips are most welcome.

Second step: get the engine/frame/suspension/brakes back in shape. The previous owner told me that the bike was running before it was shipped from Japan. There is rust, muck and other "niceties" all over the place, so this will likely take a while

Third step:
Sort out the electrics/speedo/rev counter/lights/.../ and start worrying about the ascetics. Right now the bike is missing the screen and the paint could totally do with some work plus there bike has more stickers than a Peppa Pig sticker book...

OK, enough blabber for now. Here are some pics from eBay. Will try to take and post some more tomorrow after I collect her

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/EspSpain/library/Honda%20NSR%2050%20Mini%20MkI[/img]
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ending for you. URL needs modding. I'd get it all working/running first before registering, unless you're confident it's a good'un.

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/EspSpain/library/Honda%20NSR%2050%20Mini%20MkI?sort=3&page=1
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need it working as you need a MOT before you can register it.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the joys of gag ownership, i look forward to seeing your progress, and will offer encouragement when you need it and congratulations when you dont need the encouragement!
Capelo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the tips and encouragement. I am really going to need both!!
After chatting yesterday with the previous owner, who also owns a mint TZMR, I figured out that it would make more sense to get the frame/suspension sorted out first and then take it from there.

I guess the first thing I need to do is strip the bike and get the frame, swing arm, yokes and fork legs sand blasted and powder coated, might get the wheels done too. Once I have a decent rolling chassis, I will take a look to the engine.

If anyone knows of a good place for sand blasting / powder coating near London, please let me know. Also, does anyone have an idea how much they would typically charge for the job described above? Thanks!!

I have re-pasted the link to the pics. Hopefully it would work now.

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/EspSpain/library/Honda%20NSR%2050%20Mini%20MkI
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not had any blasting or coating done down this way but im sure theres really well recommended ones you can post to
Capelo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here are some helpful links I have found while looking around for parts. I am sure most of you have seen them already but just in case

Manuals and parts list: http://www.risingsuncycles.com/pdf_partsbooks.htm
Fairings (racing only): http://www.mlb-motorsport.de/products/html/honda1.html
NSR 50R 2004 parts: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/hon/505413caf870021c54beef3e/2004-nsr50r-a-parts

Also, keep an eye for adds on eBay Germany (kleine Anzeige). There was a NSR 50 mini cup there until recently, now NSF 110 cup. Google translator will be your friend here

So far, I have picked up a new pair of foot rests and a used NSR Mk1 upper cowl and windscreen (heavily used) and lower fairing and seat cowl from a NSR 50 2004 both used but mint. The seat will need some drilling and trimming but hope to be able to use it

Currently checking quotes on frame + bits sand blasting and powder coating

Also have a price list from Team Calamari (rear shock looks interesting), will try to post it tonight

That's all from me for now, wish me luck...
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! And good information, thanks
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information.
Capelo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update from my side. I have now almost finished disassembling the bike, so she should be good to go for sand blasting / powder coating next weekend (fingers crossed). Other than that, I have been busy researching and trying to source parts for the wee bike. I picked a service manual for my specific model this week (in Japanese!). It has loads of pictures, so it is perfect to double check when reassembling the bike in case I forget what went were. I would recommend anyone who owns a GAG to get hold of one of these. Shame I don't speak Japanese! Smile
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capelo wrote:

Also have a price list from Team Calamari (rear shock looks interesting), will try to post it tonight

I was looking at those pit bike shocks if mine let go. They're probably rubbish, but look really trick with reservoirs and coloured springs etc, can get them quite cheap, only problem is if there's enough room to fit one?

Just like this, loads of cheap ones as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pit-bike-DNM-fuly-atjustible-rear-shock-290mm-/121602417060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c5011a1a4
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
I was looking at those pit bike shocks if mine let go. They're probably rubbish, but look really trick with reservoirs and coloured springs etc, can get them quite cheap

On the SDR, I figured a brand-new shiny but cheap aftermarket shock of unknown provenance (Chinese, let's face it) was a better bet than sticking with Yamaha's 27-year-old rusting and leaking original. Won't last as long I'm sure, but I've got an MOT and damped suspension now, neither of which I had before. If it turns out to be crap, it was only £40.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone find me a cheap replacement for the ysr please! Iv looked everywhere, and nothing comes up cheap, im looking at 350 plus for something with damping, iv looked at a mtb shock but they just are not adjustable enough to take the weight, they maybe go up to 130 kg before they are in danger of blowing seals, but i figure ill need more if at a guess im 100 kg and the bike has to be 80,

So here is your mission if you choose to accept it!

The shock is approx 6 inches eye to eye!
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want a S/H one???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMORTISSEUR-YAMAHA-YSR-50-COLLECTION/370271813349?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29666%26meid%3D094d2a88046e4c7a88586d1e4fa1f984%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D220487940449

Don't know what this would be like either, obviously no adjustment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SHOCK-PAIR-6-INCH-BILLET-BODY-SUIT-MOTORCYCLE-HARLEY-CUSTOM-USE-/271578884572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f3b5ce9dc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Gag Bikes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: