Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Incoming New GAG Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if your willing to look at 150mm eye to eye suspension units from mountain bikes.. How about one that runs to 2000lbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bike-Folding-Bike-Bicycle-Suspension-Shock-Absorber-2000lbs-6-/251748584390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9d628bc6
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All have no damping! Iv got a shock its just a bit bouncy, the first ysr one will be as bad as mine if not worse, the harly one is a seat comforter and wont have damping just a spring and same for the folding bike one, i think it might have to go hardtail for the mot! Be an entertaining ride,
Im really liking the suggestions though but i think im looking for something a bit more substantial than standard from maybe a really obscure little bike with rebuildable shocks!
Iscream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-Shox-Racing-Shock-Yamaha-YSR-50-80-YSR50-YSR80-/351304828732?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51cb66473c&vxp=mtr
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new one here too from Works.. Suspect the price is the deal breaker on these...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301570291702?nav=SEARCH
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a cheap shock not 250 quid for a second hand one needing a rebuild / re gas!

Its a bit of a problem with the ysrs, think i might have to modify the arm to allow a longer shock in there, ill try rebuilding mine first though, gotta be worth a try unless anyone finds something in the meantime!
I know ohlins made one for a while maybe i should give them a call and ask them to re tool! Ill bet they could sell a few
Iscream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillinghampaul wrote:
I wanted a cheap shock not 250 quid for a second hand one needing a rebuild / re gas!

Its a bit of a problem with the ysrs, think i might have to modify the arm to allow a longer shock in there, ill try rebuilding mine first though, gotta be worth a try unless anyone finds something in the meantime!
I know ohlins made one for a while maybe i should give them a call and ask them to re tool! Ill bet they could sell a few

I've thought about Ohlins as well LoL I have actually been on to a suspension guru recently about exactly this, he said YSS would build anything, but, I haven't followed it up as yet...He also deals with Reiger and they build some lovely stuff Wink
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try yss next then, im currently talking to a guy so ill see where that goes first, but iv tried and been told no by a few that could definately do it so we will see!

Ill let everyone know how it goes and if i find someone that can do it ill let other ysr owners know
Capelo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following with the rear shock topic.
Does anyone know if the NSR 50 unit is serviceable? Mine is the one with the separate gas reservoir.
Alternatively, I might consider getting a NSF 100 shock, I believe they are basically the same
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry completely hijacked your thread!

I dont think you will have too many problems having that one rebuilt theres alot of places that rebuil most unrebuildable shocks, just out of interest though how long is it from eye to eye!?
Capelo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries at all! It is all good info for the GAG community.
Have not taken the shock off the frame yet, but will make sure to measure it this weekend. From memory I believe it is around 220mm, but not 100% sure
Capelo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I noticed that my frame is missing the tab to which the kickstand is attached. Does anyone know of decent welder/fabricator?
I guess I could try to use the lower engine mount to attach some brackets to mount the kickstand to, but need to look into this in more detail
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good welders about, be best if you get it all prepped, cleaned and ready then take it to an engineering firm and ask if they can do it, take about 3 mins but do it before you paint the frame! Thats hopefully obvious but just making sure!
Where abouts in london are you?
Capelo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I live in Battersea/Wandsworth but happy to jump in the car and take the frame anywhere within 1.5 hour drive. The thing is that the bit where the kickstand is mounted is missing. So, would need to get a plate/bracket of sorts fabricated and then weld onto the frame.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is just to keep your eyes open for a little engineering firm and go in and ask, bit tricky to find them sometimes but when you do you will probably only ever use them, the bigger firms dont usually want to know with little one offs, iv had this problem for ages now, but manage to get by! I was even thinking of getting a small lathe and small milling machine for jobs exactly like this, stuff i could do in the evening for beer money but just cant afford the equipment at the moment.
Also worth trying small hydraulic firms as the sometimes have small machining abilities too, as i say best bet is to go and ask, you might even find a guy that loves bikes then your in!
Capelo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: I finally finished disassembling the bike over Easter. Funny to see how you can fit an entire bike in one big card box Very Happy

Also, it looks like I have finally found someone who can fabricate/weld the missing frame bit and sandblast/powder coat the frame + other bits for a reasonable price. I am going to take the frame to them on Saturday morning, so they can check if it is doable. Fingers crossed!!

Now, I am looking for someone who can repair the small bump on the fuel tank and repaint the fairings. I got a quote today from South Side Arc here in London, but think it is a bit too high (~£800). If anyone has any recommendations on where to have the fairings painted / tank repaired, please let me know. I have googled myself silly, but have not had much luck.

Last but not least, the parts I bought in Japan are finally on their way. Let see how long it takes for them to arrive/clear customs...

Will continue to add pics to the photobucket album as the project progresses...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Gag Bikes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: